Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Trendkill Rant..for the love of shred.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Anthrax would have created a genre of music that led to their near demise..in hindsight.

That song was truly a double edged sword!!!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I kinda wish I could shred. But I'm happy right now writing melodies at a slow pace. And hell I've been playing for two years and I can sweep. So I'll just work on my picking a bit. Well that was random...

Bill, what happened to Anthrax? I only have a best of, and while they don't seem as solo orientated as the other thrash bands they appeal to me more because of their obvious Punk and hardcore influences.

Comment

Originally posted by pott View Post
        I kinda wish I could shred. But I'm happy right now writing melodies at a slow pace. And hell I've been playing for two years and I can sweep. So I'll just work on my picking a bit. Well that was random...

Bill, what happened to Anthrax? I only have a best of, and while they don't seem as solo orientated as the other thrash bands they appeal to me more because of their obvious Punk and hardcore influences.

Nothing happened to Anthrax, they're doing good right now because metal is back for the moment. They re-united with Joey Belladonna a couple years ago.

They planted the seep for Rap-"Metal", which was great for them at the time. But they shot themselves in the dick because the genere they help create drove them and all true metal into the ground..

Therefore putting them in the same boat with the rest, trying to make a living doing their thing..albums sales dumped, they didn't tour much, and when they did not many came...lead guitarist Dan Spitz said fuggit and bailed for a while...but he's been back now.

Oh, Don't worry, I can't sweep either..never learned, not my gig. I can "shred" and cultivated my own thing..so, I don't care.

Besides, so many do pretty sick sweeping ..so why bother. If I wanna sweep, I have a broom..
        Last edited by horns666; 09-19-2007, 10:57 AM.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I CAN sweep It's pretty much the only thing I can do ahaha... not too well since I never really practiced it... more like tried it here and there... meh. I'm a SHIT picker though. I really need to work on that.

I favor melodies over speed basically... sweeping offers easier wider intervals and chord shapes... Dunno. Just more for me.

I have no idea who the great sweepers are... Malmsteem, Laiho nowadays...Petrucci? Who else?

Comment

There is some INSANE sweepers out there..they're on my list..hmmm..besides Jeff Loomis, Mike Romeo..let me see..

Here's one..http://youtube.com/watch?v=jS4F3JZaIe4

Let me find another..I like to go "unknown shredders" that are kickking some ass out there, putting their stuff out.

Here's Mike Romeo..http://youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0

There is someone else I was watching..can't find him.

Ahhh...Fuggit Jeff Loomis..http://youtube.com/watch?v=b-ESkM2e21I

Comment

Look at this FAG..he wants to show you how to "sweep"..Mark Tremonti..this is exactly what I'm talking about..this seperates the men from the boys..

behold this abortion..http://youtube.com/watch?v=C1elpMjZ4...elated&search=

I could do fuggin' better than that...if that's "sweeping"..then count me in..:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

DOH! Loomis! His solo on the River Dragon Has Come never ceases to impress me. Actually I think this song is one of the most perfect fit metal tunes. Everything completes the other things in it. Singing, guitars, solo, riffing...Absolutely unbelievable. Loomis is not only technically amazing but also VERY tasty. It's not often I wish I could play like other people (I want to play like myself and no one else) but if I did play in a metal band, I wouldn't say no to his chops and choice of notes

Michael Romeo I have a Symphony X album... I think it's called V? I hear the new one's good and thrashier/heavier though, I may have to give it a go

Comment

Loomis is one of "The Great Ones"..

The reason for this post is to show that shred NEVER died...or will.

MM2002..Magnus Karlsson you would like (amoung others)..look him up..he's in Midnight Sun, Starbreaker w/ Tony Harnell from TNT/ Last Tribe amoung others..I strongly advise checking him out..or you can just hold onto 25+ year old memories and miss out on some great music and players...

I already did the homework..
                  Last edited by horns666; 09-20-2007, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Another guy that never died was Andy Timmons,of the up and comming hair band Danger danger,who were snuffed out by the shit scene....I mean grunge.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by RIPPER03; 09-20-2007, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I agree. It's about how it sounds and the "story" of the music. For example, Slayer riffs are pretty basic and pretty easy to pick up, but the atmosphere they create is duplicated by none.

Are we just those old farts now that like "our" stuff better?

Comment

Andy Timmons is awesome...he get's great tone from his Mesas and one smooth player.

WTF..I agree with SPD ..yes, there is only ONE Slayer..who spawned an infinite spin-offs. Like 'em or not ..their influence is unmeasurable.

Comment

Good ol' Horns, a child of the 80's totally, like me. But we both kept checking out new metal when the 80's ended right up to today, unlike so many.

People complain that good metal died with the 80's, the glory days, the good old days: I have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Its been a great 25 years of metal for me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markb View Post
                            Good ol' Horns, a child of the 80's totally, like me. But we both kept checking out new metal when the 80's ended right up to today, unlike so many.

People complain that good metal died with the 80's, the glory days, the good old days: I have no idea what the fuck they're talking about. Its been a great 25 years of metal for me!!!!

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Yes, You know EXACTLY WTF I am talking about!!!!

Mark, There is a few more like us, I'm surprised they're not chimimg in..

Let's help share the joy man..unless people are just content being in the dark, or can't afford to buy or catch up on alot of music...or just plain lazy

But we are doing years of homework for them..I feel tho I'm just casting pearls here..and I am to some.

So many just threw the towel, giving up so easily and embraced any trend or song MTV thrown at them..Now, is that a TRUE "metalhead"??

Hails to you Mark!!!

Bill Z

Comment

Okay, time to 'fess up - I don't have any Nevermore!
                              Which, in your opinion, would be the best album to get first?

Comment

Snoogs..I'd strat with the their last "This Godless Endeavor" and go backwards from there..yeah!!!

Actually I liked Dead Heart in a Dead World too!!!..that one came out in 2000..

Should have it a FYE or Best Buy..

Go get 'em..

Bill Z Bub

Comment

Working...
                                X