No announcement yet.

Shape of guitar= musical stereotyping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I play Blues on both my Charvels and my Kramer Stagemaster. I don't play differently on any guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson/Charvelfan View Post
      Hey black cherry,
      I think it is what tone you are looking for and if you like to play sitting or not.
      I started playing an Ibanez 155BK 23 years ago.
      These are destroyer shaped dont balance well and very difficult to play sitting.
      I tried a Kramer Pacer Carrea one day at GC 3 years later and I was hooked on a strat shape ever since.
      I liked the tone more also.
      I still think the other body shapes look cool but I feel more comfortable with a strat shape.
      Yeah, I guess it's what shape a person is comfortable with.. whether physically or image-wise. I like my strat-shaped guitar and find it comfortable but I think the King V shape is ultra cool! I tried the Kelly a couple of times but the upper horn kept jabbing me in the stomach..

Comment

black cherry,
        What kind of strat shape guitar do you play?

Comment

Warriors have the comfort of a Strat for both standing and sitting.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ask Leo
            JvicE

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              The Phantom had a humbucker/single coil in one pickup ring. If you look closely you can see the single is set at a different angle. Many tonal possibilities. I'm not real sure how the mojo switch is set up, but it has a great out of phase sound that has a woody, SRV tone. And Glen Tipton's sound is a natural, through a stereo chorus.
              On TV recently they ran a clip of The Police playing "Every Breath You Take". What was Andy Summers playing? A Hamer Phantom!

Comment

Yes, not a big fan of the Police, but Andy Summers was a major contributor to the design of the Phantom, as well as Glenn Tipton. It is my daily player.
                The headstock snapped in the worse possible way years ago, so I glued it back together, didn't bother with the cosmetics, and it has held tight.

Comment

Just been thinking about the shapes of guitars and the music that is generally played on them. For instance, why do most shredders play strat-style guitars?

because they're bloody comfortable can look good with any pickup config, easy to build good fret access and really good balance, they also don't look silly when ur playing them right under ur armpit, whereas a v or explorer for example would lok a bit titty at that height!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                    Just been thinking about the shapes of guitars and the music that is generally played on them. For instance, why do most shredders play strat-style guitars?

because they're bloody comfortable can look good with any pickup config, easy to build good fret access and really good balance, they also don't look silly when ur playing them right under ur armpit, whereas a v or explorer for example would lok a bit titty at that height!!
                    Just off the top of my head, it seems that there about as many shredders that play gibbys/explorer/V's as there are strat style players. Dimebag, for one...

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson/Charvelfan View Post
                      black cherry,
                      What kind of strat shape guitar do you play?
                      Hi Jackson/Charvelfan,

I actually play an Ibanez RG but I was massively influenced by Vai so that's my excuse.

I quite like the King V shape and I think it looks cool. There are people like Mustaine that can totally rip on that shape guitar so obviously some people are comfortable playing on that shape. However, it seems that most people who play shred-type music (by that I am referring more to those who play instrumental guitar) seem to do so on strat-type bodies.

Just an observation.

Comment

Yes, not a big fan of the Police, but Andy Summers was a major contributor to the design of the Phantom, as well as Glenn Tipton. It is my daily player.
                        The headstock snapped in the worse possible way years ago, so I glued it back together, didn't bother with the cosmetics, and it has held tight.
                        That phantom looks very interesting. I have never seen a Hamer like yours before. When was it made? It seems the current Hamers have more traditional designs..

Comment

BUCKETHEAD Thats all I gotta say. He's got a Round horn V Just listen to some of his stuff.

& Newc your Right about the Warrior most comfortable guitar I've ever played.
                          According To The Prophecy

Comment

Originally posted by black cherry View Post
                            That phantom looks very interesting. I have never seen a Hamer like yours before. When was it made? It seems the current Hamers have more traditional designs..
                            Catalog pic:

The "prototype" was modeled after the Cruise bass, then went into production as the Phantom A5. Set neck, nice tuners with screw locks in the center of the post. As far as I can figure, mine is an 82 or 83. After that, the tuners went to six-to-a side, some other changes were made.
                            There was a Steve Stevens model, and eventually the so called triple humbucker was dropped.

Comment

Catalog pic:

The "prototype" was modeled after the Cruise bass, then went into production as the Phantom A5. Set neck, nice tuners with screw locks in the center of the post. As far as I can figure, mine is an 82 or 83. After that, the tuners went to six-to-a side, some other changes were made.
                              There was a Steve Stevens model, and eventually the so called triple humbucker was dropped.
                              Thanks Cygnus X1. That's a nice looking guitar and the headstock suits it. Seems very well balanced too with the upper horn up as far as the 12th fret.

Comment

Thanks, BC...Phantom Hawk also knows a lot about these particular Hamers.
                                Search around the site under "Phantom" for more.
                                Back on topic...
                                I've heard so many times that a well seasoned guitarist, secure in their own style can make nearly any guitar sound similar, at least to their taste.
                                Don't forget all the endorsement switchers that play their old tunes on the new gear just as well as before. But I still use different guitars for different moods.

Comment

Working...
                                X