Advise from lefthanders needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise from lefthanders needed

"Advice :ROTF: " Let's just say, I can explain just about anything away. I sold a $25 (very nice BTW ) electric guitar to a mom. She wanted it for her young son who is just starting out. Turns out the kid is lefthanded. I came up with the bright idea that a lefthanded person could play a righthanded guitar maybe better. Here is my rationale: The kid already knows his left hand better than his right. A right-handed guitar player uses his left hand on the neck. Ergo, therefore, the best known hand should be where it is needed most and has the most agility, on the neck. :ROTF: Or, I could be off my ass. But, my reasoning sure sounded good. To me.
    Last edited by fett; 09-20-2007, 01:06 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

So, fett, I'm a lefty but I play the guitar right handed.
    So am I at a double disadvantage, or in your thinking, do I have twice of an advantage?

?? Really confused now....

Comment

It's kinda like golf. For a righthanded person it seems backwards. The whole swing is left-side dominant. That's why it's so hard. I know the kid could turn the guitar upside down. But, in this case that ain't going to happen. If he's just starting out, he should be able to do it. As for you, you are way too old to change.:ROTF: It was just a thought.

Comment

Im also left handed..but play guitar as a righty...I couldnt fathom playing it the other way...as my left (fretting) hand is dominant...

Comment

Yep, that is what I thought. The kid being young and brand new. And, mom isn't going to spring for a left-handed guitar.

Comment

I too am lefty playing right. I have crappy finger picking and rythm, but chording and scales came pretty easy to me.
            I actually was frustrated when I started at my progress because I couldn't pick out as well as I could fret.
            I still envy rythm players with speed and endurance, but like playing righty.

My guitar teacher insist I restring to right handed at my first lesson and I can't imagine trying to locate killer lefty gear.

She's doing the "right" thing, making him play "right". Har Har Har
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

^ heh. I'm a righty playing wrong
              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                So, fett, I'm a lefty but I play the guitar right handed.
                So am I at a double disadvantage, or in your thinking, do I have twice of an advantage?

?? Really confused now....
                Same here .. Guitar is the only right handed thing I do ..

Oh wait, I wipe my arse with my right hand too!
                Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

One of my good friends is a lefty playing righty. Monster picker, sweep picking, tapping, pretty much everything under the sun. We like to pretend it's cos he's left handed. It's probably just cos he's better than us

Comment

Lefty players playing righty, usually have good legato. It's a good thing, actually.
                    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Definitely make him learn righty, just for the ease of finding gear, but the Mad Scientist in me says to make him spend 1 hour a day practicing Righty and 1 hour practicing Lefty.

It'll take twice as long, but when he gets done he'll be a monster with the coolest playing trick ever - to be able to play either way.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

He's way to young to play AC/DC.

Comment

my Dad is a lefty and completely regrets learning how to play left handed
                          Out Of Ideas

Comment

I Was Right. And, I knew I was.

Comment

Working...
                            X