All you interested in WWII .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All you interested in WWII .

The Ken Burns series The War started tonight on PBS. I heard him on a radio interview about a month or so ago talking about this. Seems really interesting if your into WWII history. I always watch the history channel and like to watch all the war documentaries, but if you watch enough of them, you will see lots and lots of the same footage used. In his interview he talked about, how this series was reasearched for years and has been in production for a very long time and will use lots of never seen footage before.

here is a link

The War is the story of the Second World War through the personal accounts of a handful of men and women from four American towns. Now streaming.
    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

I'll have to watch that.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Just finished watching it.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

what did you think? I have only seen the 1st few minutes so far. I set the TiVo to record the series. Also the whole series is in hi def. If anyone saw Planet Earth in HD, you know how nice it can look.
        Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Thanks for the head-up on this. Haven't heard anything about this series. I loved Burns's series on the Civil War and Baseball.

Comment

Caught that program last night..seen it before.

Let me share some old WWII cartoons that alot of us watched when we were very young..there is many, but this was the best one I could find..enjoy. http://youtube.com/watch?v=9LO03pd6X-4
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

When I was little(born in 72), I remember seeing those Bugs Bunny cartoons, where all the Japanese looked like monkeys, and you would still see cartoons where black people had "black face", and Songs of the South would still be shown on t.v..

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                Caught that program last night..seen it before.
                Where did you see it? That was the premiere last night. I know PBS was playing alot of war documetaries all day yesterday, maybe one of those you saw?

One that was real interesting was the D-Day one, where they had soldiers who hadn't been there since the the Day, come back and visit. These are 80 year old men now and the pain of the memories of that place for some, is overwhelming.

I can't ever imagine being 18-22 and some even 16 and 17 year olds, and being that brave.

I have nothing but admiration for those men.

On a side note that impeneratable wall that was supposed to stop the Allied Landngs, took years and years to build. Used up who nows how many slave labor hours and resourses. Lasted all of 8 hours to break through in the toughest points(Omaha Beach), in other areas it was overran in less than 1 hour.

Comment

Originally posted by VinceV View Post
                  Where did you see it? That was the premiere last night. I know PBS was playing alot of war documetaries all day yesterday, maybe one of those you saw?

One that was real interesting was the D-Day one, where they had soldiers who hadn't been there since the the Day, come back and visit. These are 80 year old men now and the pain of the memories of that place for some, is overwhelming.

I can't ever imagine being 18-22 and some even 16 and 17 year olds, and being that brave.

I have nothing but admiration for those men.

On a side note that impeneratable wall that was supposed to stop the Allied Landngs, took years and years to build. Used up who nows how many slave labor hours and resourses. Lasted all of 8 hours to break through in the toughest points(Omaha Beach), in other areas it was overran in less than 1 hour.
                  May not be the same program. But I remebered the same interviews, key words, faces and scenes that jogged my memory...or maybe I watched a completely different WWII program with the wife, while channel surfing. It mentioned the five brothers that was killed on a ship, and our soldiers basically starving while over in Japan..is that the one?

Yeah, those cartoons are something, the world wasn't much different other than being "PC".. This is off topic, but check out some naughty banned Betty Boop episodes...she shows off the honeypot.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I saw a little bit of it. Powerful stuff. Despite the few cheesy PC-appeasement segments, it should be required viewing for history classes in a lot of our high schools. Those are lessons we should NOT forget.

Comment

The great part about this series is the wealth of rarely seen footage and photos. I'm a WWII nut and I haven't seen a lot of that stuff before. Looking forward to the next installment.

There was also a pretty neat show on the Krupp steel empire and family during WWII Germany on one of the Discovery networks last night with a lot of things I hadn't seen.
                      Last edited by Argos; 09-24-2007, 03:10 PM.

Comment

The one feature I like the most is the personal reflections provided by the peole who were there. It provides a new perspective to the film clips that most of us have seen. It's amazing to me that it has taken this long to produce such a fine film.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Dad was in one of the first waves to hit Iwo Jima and was called back for Korea. He has some pretty crazy stories when he feels like talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                            The one feature I like the most is the personal reflections provided by the peole who were there. It provides a new perspective to the film clips that most of us have seen. It's amazing to me that it has taken this long to produce such a fine film.
                            That was his focus on this film. It wasn't a day by day historical account of the war. It is the personal stories of those that were there. He wanted to get these men's and woman's stories told before they were gone and took history with them.

Comment

I saw an interview with Burns and he said 5 years ago these Vets weren't talking. 5 years from now, they will be dead. He thought it seemed like they wanted to get the story out before they die...

That makes me feel sad and old. Here in a few years there will be no more WWII vets left alive. Sigh...
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X