Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dude there's so much migration in Estonia it's ridiculous... we have had so many countries who have occupied us and all the labour that was brought here from different places and the natives are mixed up with all of 'em.... no one has a glue about their bloodline. my parents and my grandparents were born in Estonia but I can't say I'm true blooded Estonian, I look a lot more like a Mediterrenean than a Northern-European. My dad and brother look very Northern, my mom looks something between of Northern and Mid-West European.
    I know my last name is very old Estonian name wich is from the biggest Estonian island.... known as the place where Vikings and Pirates lived.
    As far as I know I don't have slavic blood in me... no one looks Slavic in my family.... and well Estonians along with Balts (Lithuanians and Latvians) are the only non Slavic people around that place.... but a lot of them are mixed with the Slavs over the time.
    Our relatives are the people from Finland but Estonians look WAY different because Finnish are very pure and Estonians are mixed up mess.
    We are from Finno-Hungaric tribe and have a totally different language wich is not Indo-European like most of the languages in Europe. But Hungarians and Finnish also look very different from each other... and the language is very different in Hungary. Finnish is the only similar language to Estonian.
    Last edited by Endrik; 09-25-2007, 05:14 PM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• My grandparents came here from Italy in the late 20's and 30's..Dago-American.

VAFANGUUUuuuu.......!!!!!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• From Saxony, Germany sometime in the sixteenth century, to England, then to America in 1630 with Winthrop's jolly folks.
        After the family being around here for 377 years, I feel fairly sure I'm American.
        I suspect they were Catholics escaping the Lutherans, then the Anglicans.
        But we don't know for sure. They weren't Calvinist, like the rest of the Pilgrims, as they headed out of Massuchusets to what became Maine, pretty fast.
        Could have been roving bandits, but the old farm has been in Maine for 350 plus years.

USA! USA! USA!

Comment

• Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          My grandparents came here from Italy in the late 20's and 30's..Dago-American.

VAFANGUUUuuuu.......!!!!!
          If I go back this far I may as well say I'm half Spanish half German

Comment

• Originally posted by pott View Post
            We don't really have 'heritage' in Europe. Since our countries are more than 200 years old, we usually come from one place though there are exceptions (well... I mean we don't, but we don't care if our great great great great grandpa was from another place). I'm French born and bred. Both my parents are French. I spent most of my life there. What gives Doc?
            Then you are the enemy. Remember what your president said/didn't do on 09/12? Remember how your country treated the United States after that? I sure fucking do!

Comment

• Are you for real?
              Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
                Then you are the enemy. Remember what your president said/didn't do on 09/12? Remember how your country treated the United States after that? I sure fucking do!
                Weird. I don't. Weird as I am French, and well, you know, I know French people... a lot. Since well, I'm from there you know? And I lived there. Just saying. That and Chirac was amongst the first to say anything about 9/11... OH! CRAP! I FORGOT! FRANCE WENT TO AFGANISTAN WITH YOU GUYS! Doh! Sorry.

The French soldiers who died there did it for nothing. So sad... we shouldn't have tried to help you guys Man, I wish you were there then to tell France what to do and not help the US. I really do. Sorry...

I apologize on behalf of France for participating in the coalition that went to Afgahnistan to try to catch Ossama Ben Laden. We shouldn't have done it. It was wrong. I say let him run. It' what South Platte Demon wants.

Sorry dude. France did wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by shobet View Post
                  Are you for real?
                  I'm wondering the same thing myself...

Either he's really, really young or just lead a very sheltered life...
                  I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                    dude there's so much migration in Estonia it's ridiculous... we have had so many countries who have occupied us and all the labour that was brought here from different places and the natives are mixed up with all of 'em.... no one has a glue about their bloodline. my parents and my grandparents were born in Estonia but I can't say I'm true blooded Estonian, I look a lot more like a Mediterrenean than a Northern-European. My dad and brother look very Northern, my mom looks something between of Northern and Mid-West European.
                    I know my last name is very old Estonian name wich is from the biggest Estonian island.... known as the place where Vikings and Pirates lived.
                    As far as I know I don't have slavic blood in me... no one looks Slavic in my family.... and well Estonians along with Balts (Lithuanians and Latvians) are the only non Slavic people around that place.... but a lot of them are mixed with the Slavs over the time.
                    Our relatives are the people from Finland but Estonians look WAY different because Finnish are very pure and Estonians are mixed up mess.
                    We are from Finno-Hungaric tribe and have a totally different language wich is not Indo-European like most of the languages in Europe. But Hungarians and Finnish also look very different from each other... and the language is very different in Hungary. Finnish is the only similar language to Estonian.
                    Sounds like a textbook definition of Estonian. LOL.

In other words, you're mixed with your immediate neighbors.

Comment

• Originally posted by danastas View Post
                      Well, you can define yourself however you want. I'd point out though that, if Shawn's real last name is Lutz, he's like the majority of Americans: he has German background. Before WW2, it was very common in the German community to be extremely proud of that background. Germans were more boastful about it than the Irish and Italians. But that war changed things.

I saw a map of the USA by county recently in which people were asked to self-identify by heritage. The color for German heritage was blue. Well, let me tell you, outside of a few counties in New England with English heritage, outside of the tri-state area that was dominated by Italians, outside of a feew border counties with many Mexican-Americans, the whole entire country was one big swath of blue. In every single county, Germans dominated. Even in Minnesoa which is supposed to be Scandinavian. They were swamped by the Germans up there. Only the South was a different color. It was white. White stood for... American only. LOL. So, other than the South, the other three corners of the US are perfectly fine with identifying their heritage, but because German Americans have such a mixed feeling about doing so after WW2, you don't hear about it that much. Andy Rooney can blast people for hyphenating, but he's hypocritical because he too has sent money to the Irish cause a while ago.
                      its a real name and you are correct. Great grandfather and great-great grandfather came for Germany, I never met them, my grand parents and parents were born here. I'm proud (most of the time ..hehhe) to be an American
                      shawnlutz.com

Comment

• Why are you proud?

Comment

Why are you proud?
                          Because he has a handsome and intelligent neighbor living in Louisiana.
                          "POOP"

Comment

Why are you proud?
                            Because despite some stupid "war" that will undoubtedly tarnish our name, this country is the only place on earth that welcomes people from different cultures with open arms and allows them to integrate with society, giving them the freedom to choose their government and "pursue happiness" so long as it does not impede their co-citezens pursuit of the same.

This country's ideals and freedom along with resources from its land have brought it to the place where others can ridicule it openly as the leaders of the free world.

Like it or not, despite the open way our media and others depict our lifestyles, it's people overall are good people and nothing like "As seen on TV".
                            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

• France has always been a refuge for other people too :s I doubt the US is the ONLY place on Earth.

I don't believe in beind proud in one's country. I was born in France but I didn't chose to be. I left too young to vote. Sure France has done A LOT for the world, so have most countries, but pride would imply me having done something to help out to it. I'm happy and damn glad I was born in a western nation, yes. Proud? No way. That's just me.

I wasn't asking him that as a reason to insult the US, sorry if it came across as that. I was just curious as to why would a person feel pride towards his country. We're pretty damn insignificant at the individual scale, unfortunately.

I don't watch TV and have never done so in my life. I lived without it all along.

Comment

• Originally posted by danastas View Post
                                But, isn't it too easy to blame it on the American administration, when Chris Patten just yesterday talked about how the EU has abdicated its role in addressing these hotspots? Even better, the UK foreign minister last year said that going after oil in the Middle East is inevitable if we are to keep our economies afloat. This means that at the highest levels gov'ts are preparing for an all out rush to control the oil spigot, no matter how many people die in the meantime. The US is doing the dirty work, and the EU will reap the rewards (which, I'm assuming, will never come now that the region has become a huge mess). Bengal is awaiting for us to take on Saudi Arabia (which makes sense since that's the country funding a great degree of the terrorism) but then the question you have to ask is, why is our US gov't so buddy buddy with the terrorist backers? No, I'm not talking conspiracy. I'm talking about oil. We already have a tacit agreement with the Saudis about oil. It's under control there. They know, we know, that oil ultimately belongs to us, and they are compliant as long as they get paid. If you look at the Middle East, it's all about $$ and oil. Palestinians and Kurds and Saddam's tortures and Iran backing the Shiia, all this is a sideshow. Palestinians are what the Arabs use to stir up public hatred against the Western corporations that come to take their oil. If there were no oil in that region, the Arabs would drop the Palestinians like a hat. But when your Saudi Royal gov't is taking all the oil profits and giving none of them to you, a poor Saudi, you're going to look for the nearest scapegoat, and that's Israel. It should come as no surprise that the biggest terrorist in the region is a son of one of the biggest oil families. This is natural, since he's using religious propaganda to defend his family's interests.

The ultimate question is: do you support wars that maintain our current way of life (which depends on control of oil) or do you think it's wrong to kill other people to support the way you live? That's really what it all boils down to.
                                Originally posted by Newc View Post
                                This is where a lot of people are getting confused: the Constitution only applies to U.S. Citizens, not visitors.

Along with that protection comes responsibility which cannot be separated from said protection. You accept both or you get nothing.

The responsibility lies in allegience to the United States of America, the dutiful observence of its laws and statutes, and the mutual respect of other peoples and the compatible cultures they bring with them.

By "compatible", I mean those that get along with each other. Islam doesn't get along with anyone else, because at its core is the belief that anyone who is not a Muslim is an infidel and should be killed - this is the duty of a "good Muslim".

All religions have killed in the name of their respective God over the centuries. Islam is the only one that still does it. Proof enough that it is a false system that deserves to be driven out of this and every other nation who values freedom for all.
                                Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                                MarkD I sorta agree. I believe in the principles and ideals that the country is founded upon but I believe we're in need of some major changes in the way we operate.

The constitution is one of the greatest things wrtten but on the same token its not 1776 anymore. Its a different world alogether.

Whenever I hear all the anti-american hate going on I feel inclined to just cut us off from the rest of the world, close the borders, stop all trade (cept eith Canada, as I liek the beer and Hockey) and hand illegal aliens a one way ticket outta here. Let the middle east bathe in all their oil and find other fools to be held hostage on pricing.

Perhaps if we say keep your oil, we don't care, then maybe we can work towards being at self sufficient nation. We'll never adapt unill we are forced to do so, I say do it now and fuck everyone else

i think in the long term that food and water will be worth more than oil and you cant drink oil to survive

this is just one opinion of a simple minded american so please don't flame me
                                This thread is worth a read. Don't think it really was looked at much when originally posted. Damn sure worth checking out!

My perception as an American is that Europeans and other of our "so called" allies seem to have short memories and loyalties. It appears to me that many have forgotten who helped bail them out of a couple of world wide conflicts, and helped them rebuild all the while keeping the "Red Bear" at bay. Thanks for forgetting us so quickly.

I too have really thought we should just close our borders and become "isolationist". I'm agree with Teddy Roosevelt 100%, we should walk softly but carry a big whuppin' stick. One of these days the shit will hit the fan yet again, and a lot of you America bashers (overseas and at home) will thank God for the Americans through clenched teeth.

By the way, there has consistently been one remote outpost in the Middle East for the United States since the early 1950's, and that has been Israel. My opinion is that when we abandon them then we are truly doomed. The only reason we have an "agreement" with Saudi Arabia is they were scared shitless in the first Gulf War, and we PAY their price tag as stated several times. I'm sure their blood is thicker than money, and in due time they will prove to be the turncoat's I truly believe they are.

Again, I really suggest checking out the below thread, especially if you are an American, and had close family who fought in World War 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X