Anybody else have bigger toys? Post Em.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
    The 69 Z28 had a 302 V8 which was a 327 block and a 283 crank. The Z28s did not use a 350 till 70 BTW.
    Sorry, wrong about the year. But there is no question about the quality of this block, as indicated by the numbers:

Comment

Wow, Strat God..that's pretty kick ass bro..

So that's like one horsepower..

cool!
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
        Sorry, wrong about the year. But there is no question about the quality of this block, as indicated by the numbers:
        I really hate to burst your bubble there bro, but I really don't understand your infatuation with that block, especially since you always state it as the main performance upgrade to your engine.
        The 010 block (as we commonly refer to it) is a good engine block. The foundry (at that point in time) was using a good cast iron mix which was a little higher in nickel content, which made that particular mix a tad more durable than your average small block Chevy. Then advantage was that the cylinder walls held up better against ring wear. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. Every 350 equipped pickup truck in the early 70's used that block, as well as the high performance Z28 Camaro, and many others, but really it's a very common engine block, and having that casting number does NOT increase your horsepower ratings.
        I guess what I'm saying is that I've built 500+ horsepower with 2 bolt main 327 blocks.....so block casting numbers really don't mean shit in the real world.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

We have a Black one of these in black, and when my parents let me drive it, I love it to death. 220HP V6 with variable valve timing, 6 speed Transmission w/ Paddle shifters, AWD, Traction and Stability control. Reminds me of one of those SUVs you see in the Dakar Rally or something. Doesn't compare to some other cars here, but I like it. Too bad I normally I have to drive our dinky little Toyota :ROTF: (Just got my permit a week or so ago, hence why Im not in the Mitsubishi much hehe) Zero to 60 in about 15 seconds on that Toyota Corolla we have
          Last edited by CharvelRocker; 09-26-2007, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Oh....plus......I think that the small block Chevrolet engine (in stock form) is the worst built, weakest piece of crap ever to be produced. Give me a Pontiac, Big block Chevrolet, Ford (especially the 351C), Olds 455, and others.
            Small block Chevy's are for people who have no money and want to buy all the parts cheap. :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
              I really hate to burst your bubble there bro, but I really don't understand your infatuation with that block, especially since you always state it as the main performance upgrade to your engine.
              The 010 block (as we commonly refer to it) is a good engine block. The foundry (at that point in time) was using a good cast iron mix which was a little higher in nickel content, which made that particular mix a tad more durable than your average small block Chevy. Then advantage was that the cylinder walls held up better against ring wear. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. Every 350 equipped pickup truck in the early 70's used that block, as well as the high performance Z28 Camaro, and many others, but really it's a very common engine block, and having that casting number does NOT increase your horsepower ratings.
              I guess what I'm saying is that I've built 500+ horsepower with 2 bolt main 327 blocks.....so block casting numbers really don't mean shit in the real world.
              Absolutely, don't get me wrong here, I understand. As I titled the post, "work in progress", it will probably come out. Maybe not everywhere, but decent blocks are getting a bit tough to find, here in "nascar" country.
              It's a starting point, certainly it doesn't do a thing for the HP numbers.
              But a bit more durable to build on, that was my only point. I'm still thinking of going with a crate, and not even toying with it. My goal is to get that 68-69 RS or SS, but I like my house too much to sell it at this point.
              The MCSS overall isn't a bad ride at all, certainly not ashamed of it.
              I really don't need to get inot a pissing match about building engines. I'm a
              member over at MCSS.com, my other favorite forum, and I'm not in a hurry to get this one in the 500 HP range just yet.

Comment

Absolutely, don't get me wrong here, I understand. As I titled the post, "work in progress", it will probably come out. Maybe not everywhere, but decent blocks are getting a bit tough to find, here in "nascar" country.
                It's a starting point, certainly it doesn't do a thing for the HP numbers.
                But a bit more durable to build on, that was my only point. I'm still thinking of going with a crate, and not even toying with it. My goal is to get that 68-69 RS or SS, but I like my house too much to sell it at this point.
                The MCSS overall isn't a bad ride at all, certainly not ashamed of it.
                I really don't need to get inot a pissing match about building engines. I'm a
                member over at MCSS.com, my other favorite forum, and I'm not in a hurry to get this one in the 500 HP range just yet.

Comment

Sorry, locked up, inadvertant LONG double post on the refresh.

Comment

Oh....plus......I think that the small block Chevrolet engine (in stock form) is the worst built, weakest piece of crap ever to be produced. Give me a Pontiac, Big block Chevrolet, Ford (especially the 351C), Olds 455, and others.
                    Small block Chevy's are for people who have no money and want to buy all the parts cheap. :ROTF:
                    I had the 351C, a 4BBL in the '71 Mach 1, and 2BBl in the '73 Mach 1.
                    Got rid of both of them, because they were considered to "too big"
                    by "enthusiasts". Still kind of kicking myself for getting rid of the '71 for
                    $2500 a dozen years ago. It was in good condition. Yeah, I like cheap parts, especially since they are essentially the same ones.

Comment

Oh man, no pissing match intended here bro, just thinking out loud. I build cars for a living, and I just sometimes get a little annoyed by hearing uneducated opinions of what's "best", or "fastest". Don't be insulted by my posts. It's a big world, and we all have our opinions. It's all good!

Comment

[QUOTE=
                        I guess what I'm saying is that I've built 500+ horsepower with 2 bolt main 327 blocks.....so block casting numbers really don't mean shit in the real world.[/QUOTE]

Thats because they never made 4 bolt main 327s...just small journal and large journal.
                        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Oh man, no pissing match intended here bro, just thinking out loud. I build cars for a living, and I just sometimes get a little annoyed by hearing uneducated opinions of what's "best", or "fastest". Don't be insulted by my posts. It's a big world, and we all have our opinions. It's all good!
                          Just find me one of these, or that RS/SS, I might not be screwing around with the Monte.SS.
                          I have plenty of pix, just no digitals to upload, but here's basically what I gave away.
                          I'm thinking the MCSS is going to be worth a couple of dollars down the road.
                          Last edited by Cygnus X1; 09-26-2007, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Here's my other expensive hobby. Between guitars and the car I always have a place for money to go. Luckily my fiance supports me with both since I can make money with them.

2002 Mustang GT
                            so far there's:
                            Bullitt rims 17x9 w 275/40's & 17x10.5 w 315/35's
                            Tokico Shocks & struts
                            Vogtland Lowering springs
                            MM Subfrme connectors
                            Superior 31 spline race axles w/ 3 inch studs
                            31 spline t'lok from an F150
                            Steeda shifter
                            Steeda Timing adjuster
                            Mac O/R Prochamber
                            Flowmasters welded in
                            Upper & lower rear control arms
                            4.10 gears
                            70mm TB
                            ported upper plenum
                            aluminum driveshaft
                            Mach 1 grill delete
                            Bullitt guage cluster
                            now has a Mach 1 chin spoiler ( these pics are from before it's install)

Waiting to be installed soon are:
                            Steeda aluminum quadrant and cable adjuster
                            Fidanza aluminum flywheel
                            Centerforce dual friction clutch

Last edited by AdRock; 09-27-2007, 02:24 AM.
                            My Toys:
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                            '94 Dinky HX in Black
                            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

There's always a bike around here somewhere:

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
                                Thats because they never made 4 bolt main 327s...just small journal and large journal.

That would be correct Lou, and the smallies (1967 and earlier) were the best for building serious power and rpm.

Comment

Working...
                                X