Bands who have had multi front men.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bands who have had multi front men.

Did you stop listening to a band after the front man changed? Do you think that it wouldn't have matter on their success?

Iron Maiden - Di'Anno and Dickinson great front man for Maiden. Blaze wasn't good for Maiden.

Black Sabbath - I liked Ozzy, Dio and Ian Gillian... I don't think many people knew about Gillian.

Anthrax - The only singer I liked in Anthrax Joey Belladonna.. the first singer who I don't know the name was alright and I never really got into the Bush era.

Van Halen - David Lee Roth and Sammy Rocked wouldn't matter - Gary not so.

Judas Priest - Halford hands down.. Really didn't care for Ripper... and If I'm not mistaken they had another singer before Halford.

AC/DC - Bon Scott and Brian Johnson.. Wouldn't matter
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Motley Crue - was the band that got me into metal, and when Corabi replaced Vince I didn't listen to them. That album is supposedly pretty good, but I still haven't picked it up.

Comment

gamma ray....ralph was OK, but they got WAY better when kai started singing again. i NEVER listen to their early albums anymore. ralph is better with primal fear....
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Pantera : Whole different musical style with Terry Glaze. Almost everyone prefers Phil i suppose.
        Iced Earth : Barlow ftw. Ripper stay in your own band will ya.

Comment

Black Sabbath also had Ray Gillen who toured with them for a bit and cut the vocals for one album which was later re-recorded with a different singer before its release.

AC/DC, Van Halen - loved them both.

Priest - Halford only

Maiden - Dickinson only

Journey - Perry only

Ratt - Pearcy only

Not really the same concept but most of my favorite Kiss songs are sung by Gene rather than Paul (I Love it Loud, Domino, Unholy)
          Jackson KV2
          Jackson KE1T
          Jackson KE1F
          Jackson SL1

Comment

Maiden - Loved DiAnno, Dickenson got me into them, but I can't really listen to anything after PowerSlave. I liked the Blaze singing and material, but it wasn't Maiden.

Same with Priest - you cannot have priest without Halford. I really think Ripper is underrated, but it wasn't really priest. I am glad they got the blood pumping again with him.

Motley Crue: I like Carabi and the material, but it wasn't MC

Van Halen: Sammy is better on his own, but I liked them. I think Sammy doesn't need VH to rock. VH doesn't need sammy to rock, but if they can't have Dave, they need Sammy. Cherone - eh I can't say I even gave him a chance.

Journey - can't say I heard the other singers in more than passing.

Misfits - I liked Glenn Danzig. I think that Michael Graves did a great job and they are equal.

ACDC - I prefer Bon, but Brian is a classic, so much great three chord material it's unbelievable.

Kiss - Ace is the best singer - New York Groove, Shock Me, Rocket Ride, all the greats! Paul is the greatest. Class act AFAIK, Gene had some great ones. Didn't dig Gene's "when you wish upon a star", but they all have some duds.
            When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
              Black Sabbath also had Ray Gillen who toured with them for a bit and cut the vocals for one album which was later re-recorded with a different singer before its release.
              Also Tony Martin, who sang on The Headless Cross. Sounded more like Dio than Dio does!

Comment

The dude that replaced Dennis in Voi Vod for that 1 album was pretty weak...

I'm a Bon Scott man all the way...

Why didn't KISS let Bruce sing???

Priest: Halford

Maiden: I couldn't listen to anything after Powerslave either...

Van Halen: All Roth, all the time...

Slipknot: Corey Taylor over Anders any day... (Had to throw in the local band)

Anthrax: I'm a Joey guy. Bush is awesome, just liked him better with The Saint...

Singers are very tough to replace. But I find it interesting that the new way is to find someone who sounds just like the original. Like "Rock Star". I guess that's what fans want...
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans View Post
                  Also Tony Martin, who sang on The Headless Cross. Sounded more like Dio than Dio does!
                  Forgot about Tony Martin.. I thought he was on Eternal Idols and Tyr.

Wow there is a Glenn Hughes also.. Never knew about him.. doh!!
                  Last edited by JetFixxxer; 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM.
                  2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                  2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                  2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                  2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                  2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                  2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                  2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                  2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                  2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                  1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                  1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

headless cross is an awesome album - i love it and i think tony's vocals are great. he actually comes from the same county as me, in fact a town only a few miles away

Comment

noone seems to have mentioned the very obvious deep purple frontmen - gillan v coverdale.....its hard to pick. i think coverdale ois the more accomplished singer, but gillan maybe sang the more memorable stuff...

Comment

Judas Priest - Halford hands down.. Really didn't care for Ripper... and If I'm not mistaken they had another singer before Halford.
                        Tim "Ripper" Owens is a good singer. He just seemed kind of "out of character" for a band like Priest. I'd see him more in a band like Slayer, Pantera, or (uhm..) Iced Earth. A good replacement singer for Priest would have been more the likes of Ralph Sheepers, or maybe Kai Hansen. + Owens couldn't hit the highs nearly as good as Halford does, so the entire band had to tune down to C#

Speaking of Kai, no one mentioned Helloween? All 3 singers they had were excellent. Except Michael Kiske has a kind of "whiney" quality in his voice that gets on my nerves a bit, especially in the upper range. Still an excellent singer, tho Andi Deris blows him away imho.

/* edit */

Also hard to forget - the first singer Dream Theater had was really good. They just made one album with him (when dream and day unite) but his voice has this deep emotional, expressive quality that i just love every time i listen to that album. James LaBrie isn't as good, but still an excellent choice (and he's canadian from BC i believe)

Symphony X - i like Russ better than the first guy they had.
                        Last edited by delt; 09-27-2007, 01:21 PM.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

"Kiss - Ace is the best singer - New York Groove, Shock Me, Rocket Ride, all the greats!"

You need to back away from your amp.
                          "POOP"

Comment

Iced Earth can only be Barlow. Ripper doesn't fit, and their two other singers just didn't have the power behind their voices that Barlow did.

Fates Warning - I can't get enough of John Arch. Ray Alder...not so much.
                            Scott

Comment

well, when fates picked up ray alder they pretty much changed directions. "no exit" was VERY much like an album they would do with arch, but after "perfect symmetry" they were totally prog/pop.

helloween has not had the songwriting since kai left. couple good tunes here and there, but NO consistency....IMHO.
                              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X