WWII Warbirds! (Pics Inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWII Warbirds! (Pics Inside)

A local airfield was having a visit from some restored WWII warbirds this weekend. I've always wanted to see these, so took the wife and kids out to it. Awesome stuff - it's quite an experience in person. Waaayyy different than you might expect these planes to really to be. It sure gave me a new appreciation of what it was like for that "greatest generation".

(...Not to mention how much shorter and thinner they must've been than us, because the hatches and planes were so small and cramped inside!)

I know some others here are WWII warbird fans, too, so thought I'd share. Pics first, and then a short bittersweet story....

B-25 Mitchell "Tondelayo"

B-24 Liberator "Witchcraft"

Nosegun

My oldest feeding me ammo to fight off some ME109s with a 50 cal.

B-17 Flying Fortress "Nine O Nine"

Tailgun

Bombadier's station

Bomb Bay

Belly Turret

A gunner's view from inside the Top Turret

As I was waiting in line to go into the B-24, there was an eldery lady in front of me. She seemed nervous and hesitant. I asked if she was OK. She replied "I'm not sure if I can go in there." I assumed she was afraid for her semi-frail condition, and trying to get into the very small ladder and hatch to board at the rear belly of the aircraft. Not having been in them before, I replied "Yeah, I hear it might be a tight space" but tried to reassure her it'd be OK. Eventually, it was our turn and, with a little hesitation, she ducked down low and climbed up in front of me.

It took a few minutes to get through the (very) cramped space and check it all out. Especially cramped walking through the bomb bay. As we finally approached the pilots' space up front before exiting, she turned to me and said "My husband flew these during the war. He was in the raid over Ploiesti." It was then that I realized that her earlier hesitation wasn't from physical concerns at all - it was emotional. She obviously had a lot of memories flowing through her in those moments. I didn't have the heart to ask if her husband was still with us. By his absence, I was guessing not. Not wanting to make it any worse for her, I just said "It seemed to have been a hell of a battle, and his sacrifices are still appreciated".

God bless those men. And the women they left at home.
    Last edited by shreddermon; 09-30-2007, 07:57 PM.

That is cool,Pat.Thanks for sharing the pics...............
    Straightjacket Memories.Sedative Highs...........

Comment

Wow ! Fantastic pics and great story. Your'e right bless all of them past and present.

Comment

I've been into these old planes since I was 11 years old. The B-17 is one of my favourites (the Spitfire is another).
        Just imagine being cramped inside that ball turret for 8 hours, fighting off Messerchmitts or Focke Wulf's trying to blow you to bits....or when it jams!
        The hatch to those things was located so you could only enter when the guns were pointed down so if it jammed while you were inside and you couldn't get it to work you had to sit in there during the landing as well.

Comment

Beautiful pics.....like jonasaberg I've been into wwII warbirds since I was
          a kid. I've been in that B-17 (nine o nine) myself. It was at the airport
          in Norwood,MA along with the B-24 "All American". Compared to the B-24
          the B-17 is spacious. At the risk of being maudlin....those kids that flew
          in these aircraft are without a doubt the finest generation this country has ever produced,and we all owe them all the gratitude we can muster.

I'd love to see a Saving Private Ryan caliber movie about them.

Comment

Great pics! Old aircraft are one of my other great passions.
            I went to motor race meeting a couple of weeks ago, and we had a flying display by a Spitfire. Just the sound of that old Griffon was enough to make you well up.

Comment

Those pics are great. They never have enough WWII planes at the airshow here.
              THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

Awesome pics shredder...thank you for sharing.
                Why hunt ... when there is no machine gun season?

Comment

Nice! A couple weeks ago that same sho was at my town and I paid the $400 to go flying in the B-17
                  I'll post my pictures from inside the plane during the flight later.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer32390 View Post
                    Nice! A couple weeks ago that same sho was at my town and I paid the $400 to go flying in the B-17
                    I'll post my pictures from inside the plane during the flight later.
                    Cool! Please do.

I must admit I would be tempted to do the same. But, given that the plane is over 60 years old and it was subjected to three A-bomb tests during its lifetime ( ) and they were working on one of the engines this weekend and I have a wife and two small children to think about...well...I chickened out on that one.

Comment

Awesome pics... my Dad's a huge plane guy and we've been to a few airshows together. Some of those exact same planes were in Plymouth MA not too long ago. Definitely must have a been an experience being in one of those while at war, those guys had GIGANTIC balls!
                      Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
                        those guys had GIGANTIC balls!
                        +1

especially when you see how pissy folk get on a modern airliner when it hits a bit of turbulance!!

My grandfather flew in Lancasters during WWII , they truly were the greatest generation.

Comment

Oh yeah it is a rough ride in that B-17. If you complain about turbulence on a jetliner, fly in one of these and you will piss yourself, constant bouncing around and pitching from side to side. I have respect not ony for the guys to have the balls to fight in these and risk their lives but for having the skill to hit other planes while flying like that!

Comment

+2. Something that doesn't come through in pictures is how little protection these guys had. The sheetmetal skins on these planes is insanely thin and flimsy . You could literally dimple it with some pressure from your finger. And the plexiglass turrets were like Tupperware.

Imagine a German or Jap fighter with guns blazing at you? A 50 cal bullet - about the length of your extended hand - would slice through that like freakin' paper. Cripes, a modern civilian airliner positively feels like a tank in comparison to these old birds.

And then imagine all of this is taking place at 20,000+ feet over enemy territory.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                              +2. Something that doesn't come through in pictures is how little protection these guys had. The sheetmetal skins on these planes is insanely thin and flimsy . You could literally dimple it with some pressure from your finger. And the plexiglass turrets were like Tupperware.

Imagine a German or Jap fighter with guns blazing at you? A 50 cal bullet - about the length of your extended hand - would slice through that like freakin' paper. Cripes, a modern civilian airliner positively feels like a tank in comparison to these old birds.

And then imagine all of this is taking place at 20,000+ feet over enemy territory.
                              No GPS, laser guidance, computers... just a flying tin can with a couple engines bolted on the wings!
                              Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Working...
                              X