Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going through High School, at 43 years old!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try this:

www.purplemath.com

Check out the lesson index.

Comment

Originally posted by orange9 View Post
      Try this:

www.purplemath.com

Check out the lesson index.
      Very good stuff.Thanks, O9.

Comment

I wil say it here and then start a new thread. In middle school, my son got an A+ in math. I know my son and he is smart. But, he is no math wiz. I called the teacher and got his story. I asked him whether Keith answered every question right, homework or tests. He said "No". Then I asked; "If that was the case, how did he get an A+?" He said;" He had a good attitude". What a POS teacher. Math is rote and the ability to remember where to do what is required. There is no "Maybe" in math. Keith knew he didn't even come close. Maybe a "C". I will never forget that.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Practically everything in the U.S. is tainted by money/corruption.

I have a BA in Mathematics, and I am unable to help my 10 year old daughter with her math homework? Why? Because the school board is experimenting with a "new" way of teaching math using terms I've never heard of. The kids don't even learn their multiplication tables these days. They say memorization is bad and that they should learn multiplication by understanding its roots in addition. So now my kid figures out what X times Y is by adding on her fingers. Unbelievable.

Why would anyone want to change the way the US teaches math after we used to lead the world in math and science? Why fix something that is not broke?

Because *someone* needs to sell new text books and curriculum material to every school in the state of WA. There's big money in that. And I'm sure the school board members who approve these nonsensical and *unproven* changes in math curriculum get their kickbacks. It is really pissing me off.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Originally posted by SeventhSon View Post
            Practically everything in the U.S. is tainted by money/corruption.

I have a BA in Mathematics, and I am unable to help my 10 year old daughter with her math homework? Why? Because the school board is experimenting with a "new" way of teaching math using terms I've never heard of. The kids don't even learn their multiplication tables these days. They say memorization is bad and that they should learn multiplication by understanding its roots in addition. So now my kid figures out what X times Y is by adding on her fingers. Unbelievable.

Why would anyone want to change the way the US teaches math after we used to lead the world in math and science? Why fix something that is not broke?

Because *someone* needs to sell new text books and curriculum material to every school in the state of WA. There's big money in that. And I'm sure the school board members who approve these nonsensical and *unproven* changes in math curriculum get their kickbacks. It is really pissing me off.
            Absolutely correct, and another thing that sticks in this old dog's craw...Why don't they make those textbooks available on read only CD's? Nearly everyone has a PC at home, and both my boys have laptops, but instead they are hauling around these oversized books half filled with "helpful" pictures, making their bookbags weigh easily 60 pounds!

I can only figure there is too much money to be made by both the schools and the book publishers to allow something as simple as CD's to ruin their life. We go through 5-6 bookbags a year because of this garbage. At least the boys get a workout, because phys ed is also a joke. But that's another subject.

Comment

I'm not a teacher but am a math major considering teaching in the future.

Teaching math to a class is a weird thing. I find that I can easily teach 1 person at a time, but it gets difficult when there are more. I don't know what to do besides present the material as best I can then address everyone's individual questions one at a time until they get it (very time consuming).

It seems also that some people just don't want to get it, but that is another topic entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                I'm not a teacher but am a math major considering teaching in the future.

Teaching math to a class is a weird thing. I find that I can easily teach 1 person at a time, but it gets difficult when there are more. I don't know what to do besides present the material as best I can then address everyone's individual questions one at a time until they get it (very time consuming).

It seems also that some people just don't want to get it, but that is another topic entirely.
                My hat's off to you, and a deep bow of respect. In my heart you rank with the finest of the soldiers, police, firemen, paramedics and others who would give so much to be rewarded too little.

I certainly can't tell anyone how to teach a class, except from the perspective of what me, as a student, see in a great teacher. You can only gauge your success by those who ought to get it, but aren't. Then you know you need to step back a bit. My biggest complaint, if I were to ever have to teach, would be to have to deal with the result of prior educational attempts, and what the program offers. It's that box that gives the most trouble, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X