Cable modem users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable modem users

Just thought Id pass on this experience that I just had. Ive had optonline cable modem service for like 10 years sinc it came to my area. They gave me a free cable modem. So, lately the service has seemed a little slow. Ive had to reset the modem a lot to cure the slowness. My service has never tested all that well. Ive gotten like 3 mbs in tests, far slower than the 15 that they advertise and the usual 10 to 12 that most optonline users seem to report. But its been fast enough for me and faster than dsl still. So, someone online suggested that my motorola sb3100 modem is old and outdated and doesnt support any of optonlines premium or even standard services. So, I call optonline and they agree to give me a new modem for free to use. They gave me a motorolla sb5100. Well, now my speed tests are consistantly 12 mbs and my son cant believe how smooth his online games are. And thats just the standard service. So, moral to the story. If youve got cable modem and are still using an older modem, get a new one, it might just quadruple your speed.

Thanks for the tip. My modem is probably about 5 years old now.... time to upgrade!

Comment

Watch out though...Time Warner recently replaced my cable modem, and they forgot to tell me about one minor detail. Your email account is linked to the mac address on your modem. So, when I got the new modem, I had to recreate the email sub-accounts, and also re-type in all my webmail contacts, and my webmail inbox and sent log were conveniently purged. Ghey!

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Watch out though...Time Warner recently replaced my cable modem, and they forgot to tell me about one minor detail. Your email account is linked to the mac address on your modem. So, when I got the new modem, I had to recreate the email sub-accounts, and also re-type in all my webmail contacts, and my webmail inbox and sent log were conveniently purged. Ghey!
        Wow, that sucks. They should have been able to transfer all you account settings to the new mac address via their system even before you got home with the new modem. I guess they didnt do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
          I guess they didnt do that.
          That wouldn't be the Time Warner way. What's the Time Warner way you ask?

1) DON'T transfer all my account settings to the new mac address
          2) DON'T resolve the issue from online tech support (after dicking with them for a half hour), instead give me disinformation (like the account was "flagged for deletion"...wtf) and tell me I have to call the support number (which is experiencing an unusually high call volume...wtf)
          3) DO tell me (after being on hold for 20 min) to retype in all my settings myself (ghey)
          4) DO lie to me and tell me the sub-accounts won't get "refreshed in their system" for three days (not true at all)

Comment

This is why I like my VDSL connection.
            No fancy boxes, just a router.
            -Rick

Comment

Yeah I remember when I bought my modem a few years back and replaced the Comcast rented modem. Went from speed tests of about 1.5Mbps to 4Mbps. Now with their SpeedBoost technology I routinely download large files at 1.2MB/s. I just wish Comcast would stop raising their TV rates! They've gone up almost 10% this year alone!
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                This does not compute... What are you using to manage your mail?
                I can't understand why the modem's MAC has anything to do with email.

I use an email created and configured on my Dad's account when he signed up for it (I had him grab it like a squatter until I got my own account)

Now I have my own account at my place and use his 'squatted acct' as if it were mine, email is just email. I don't even use email that was set up when my service started. Now if he cancels RR service, I'll surely have issues retaining it, since it is not associated with my account. That's a whole different issue.

Webmail is just webmail too, I can access the account from anywhere thru anyone.

Mail should be pulled from pop-server.nc.rr.com and sent thru smtp-server.nc.rr.com. That should be all that matters (aside from username/password).

The only thing I can't do is use the smtp server to send email from a non-RR ISP. I can receive thru any ISP tho.

I actually think he has replaced his modem before too, due to it frying and nothing happened.

FWIW, I've used and migrated from Netscape to 3rd party apps, outlook express, and now outlook.

</confused>

Comment

Working...
                X