Homebuilt Guitar advice request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebuilt Guitar advice request

I went to a local hardware store (not a big box store), and they have a piece of mahogany 15" wide by 85" long, I guess about 5/8 thick. I figured it up, and that is enough wood to make a "solid" mahogany body if I stack three pieces for the body, and a 15"x31" section to make the neck.

Three questions:

Looking around the internet, I was looking for the right way to make the neck. I will purchase a fingerboard, probably rosewood, or ebony. Do I simply stack 4" wide sections to make a 1-7\8" thick slab, and work in the shape? Or is it better to work with thinner "quarter-sawn" sections, kind of like a butcher block construction? I will use some of the remainder to make a tilted-back headstock.

My body plan is a gentle arch, contoured front and back, a slimmed out dinky design. HS pups, TOM bridge set in a brass string through block. How difficult is honduran mahogany to shape as far as planing? I can rough it out with a side grinder and so forth, but arch planing is something I've not done yet. I was almost thinking of protoyping the whole guitar in poplar first, to get a feel of the art of archtop building.

Is this chunk of wood a good deal at 80 dollars? Looking at body and neck blanks, it looks like it is. Especially since it is 15 inches wide. I don't see a problem with stacking the three pieces to attain the thickness I need.

Is the wood stable? Wet wood will not do. Now old is the wood? I would figure you need about a 30% overage. If I knew what I was talking about, these are the factors I would consider.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

AHHH!!!
      Don't use that wood.
      99% of the wood sitting in a "hardware store" is damn near green.

Go here for properly cured wood.
      Prices are not too bad either.
      -Rick

Comment

Well, he could buy the wood and let it cure for 10 years or so. Hardware store wood will shrink so much that your standard size body will turn into a DNKY before you are done.:ROTF:
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Local company from right up the road actually. They supply for PRS, Gibson, MusicMan, and rumored to supply a fair amount to FMIC (I have NOT been able to confirm this though). Pricey, but well worth it.

Comment

Thanks, all. I thought about this again while I was at work tonight. I figured it would be a mistake. I also think it would be a big mistake for me to try to start building necks just yet, when they are so inexpensive as blanks. I have a lot of ideas I want to incorporate into this guitar, and I do want to fabricate the body. None of the prefab bodies would really do. I'll look at getting a body blank.
            The wood did actually appear quite well cured, but throwing 80 dollars at an unkown piece would be too much of a risk.
            The red oak Bich was made from "green" hardware store wood. I cured it in the kitchen oven off and on for a week, then let it sit for a year before building it. This was around 15 years ago. No problems whatsoever. Just don't burn it! Wonder why it still smells like Pizza...

Comment

This site has alot of good advice and tutorials for building guitars.
              The Internet's largest free source of guitar-making articles, tutorials, how-to's, downloadable plans, resources, product reviews, supplier lists; everything for the developing luthier.
              Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Working...
              X