Kids and cold medicines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kids and cold medicines

My dau-in-law feeds her kids this shit all the time. It would just drive me nuts. Well, now it's all over the news. I knew I was right. Just let the little tyke get over it. You only have to worry after 3 days and if it gets worse. I never gave Baby Keith, my 24 year old son, any of that crap. He seems to have survived.:ROTF:
    I am a true ass set to this board.

what doesn't kill them only makes them stronger vikings..

Comment

My son actually played in dirt. Real dirt on a real hill when he was in daycare. I am postive that was a good thing. He never got sick as a kid.

Comment

Is it all the cold-medicines or just a few brands?
        Sam

Comment

I'm too lazy to look. But, it is all over the news. I think it's all the "Children's Mommy will feel better using this OTC crap" stuff.

Comment

Most of them aren't appropriate for kids, and really only the decongestant is worth while for adults and then only if you don't have hypertension...cough medicine is a waste of money, the only real drug readily available that works on coughs is codiene..

Comment

My Viking god-like person view of things is; "Just get over it!!!!!":ROTF:

Comment

The only thing that works on kids is Ibuprofen and Tylenol, and that's just to reduce a fever.
                The rest of the shit is just that... shit.

Even as an adult, I have yet to find any cough syrup that actually stops me from coughing.
                -Rick

Comment

Kid's fevers last a day or two. "Oh, My God, it's 100. I need to med the kid or he/she will die!!!" Well, stop bundling up the kid so baby can stay warm. I always wondered why parents do that. If I saw, as a baby,everyone else running around in shortsleeves and shorts, I would be hot too. And a little pissed off.:ROTF:

Comment

The only thing that ever worked as a cough syrup for me was Buckleys, but even then it only was partially effective. Those cherry flavored crap syrups they sell for kids do nothing. They coat your throat for about ten minutes of relief and then its back to square one.

I think part of the issue in the news is stupid parents who don't know the difference between a teaspoon and a tablespoon, and end up giving the kids way too much.

Comment

That too. I'm old school. Maybe, I blocked out my childhood growing up in the "50's. But, I cannot remember my mom doing anything when I had a cold.:ROTF: We kids just lived with it. It always went away in a few days. That's how I raised my son.

Comment

Fett - surely you remember Castor Oil

But yea, cough syrup has little or no medicinal value. It's mostly for the dry-throat from too much coughing. Expectorants are supposed to break up phlegm in the chest so your coughs are productive and the phlegm doesn't settle in your lungs, but they induce coughing by gagging you with the vapors. The violent coughing breaks up the stuff, but can also fold your lungs in half like a plastic sack.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Castor Oil Some dumb doctor said I had both kidneys on one side. This was back in the '70's. I had to have a "Lower GI". Well, he said take Castor Oil the day before the test. I did. And then I went to a party that night. It was awful and funny as hell.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: "Let me in, Damn it!!!!!":ROTF: :ROTF: Both my kidneys were where they should be.
                          Last edited by fett; 10-19-2007, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I find that cough drops work well if I am going to be sitting in class or somewhere that coughing would be really annoying - otherwise I don't really take anything

Comment

I've witnessed even worse...prescription antibiotics for ear infections, or a long run of the sniffles. Next thing you know, in a couple of years, the poor girl was doing time in the hospital due to "serious infections". Well, no wonder, the well meaning parents were busy shutting down the girl's natural ability to fight off common infections...that was a sad case. The girl was as healthy as I''d seen as any 3-4 year older, by the time she hit school at age 5, she was virtually bed ridden. Sad.
                              My boys went through the usual run of ailments, fevers, whatnot. Now they are as healthy as can be asked for. No unecessary medicine. Plus they hated the stuff, if we even tried.

Comment

Working...
                              X