Kids and cold medicines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daisp View Post
    Most of them aren't appropriate for kids, and really only the decongestant is worth while for adults and then only if you don't have hypertension...cough medicine is a waste of money, the only real drug readily available that works on coughs is codiene..
    What's the issue with decongestants and hypertension?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      What's the issue with decongestants and hypertension?
      Many of them also contain pseudoephedrine, very bad for blood pressure problems. It's in there as a decongestant, just like sudafed.

Comment

What's wrong with cold medicines? How else are your kids supposed to manufacture their own Meth?
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

These meds say clearly "For dosing 2 Years old (24 Months) and younger-talk to your Doctor." About 200 Parents in the USA overdosed their own children...didn't bother to consult their MD. It's sad and I feel for them...but I advise on this stuff all the time in the Pharmacy I work at. People think if it's over the counter, these drugs can't harm you. I bet they pulled the meds as a show of good faith. Then they will make their way back on the Market..with stricter warnings to consult the MD for correct dosing. Unfortunately, these Parents have no one to blame, but themselves. I couldn't imagine if I did it to my Kids. These drugs have been on the Market for years...and with careful instruction on dosing by the Children's Pediatrician..can be administered without harm.

Comment

My dad (Family Doc) says that this is not news. It's been known since these meds came out that they had little to no effect on children. But what they are good at is getting the kid to sleep. He said that when a parent would come in for their kid's cold, he'd tell them all of this and 90% of the time the parent would be like "I'm getting the stuff if it means I can get a good night's sleep for the first time in a week."

If there were any bad side effects, we'd surely know them by now. This whole pulling them off the shelves thing is just media frenzy. I took Dimetapp whenever I got sick as a kid. I'm still here.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              Many of them also contain pseudoephedrine, very bad for blood pressure problems. It's in there as a decongestant, just like sudafed.
              Actually, none of them contain sudafed anymore. You have to specifically ask for medicines containing it at the pharmacy counter (still no prescription though). Something about how easy it was to convert it into heroin or something.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                Actually, none of them contain sudafed anymore. You have to specifically ask for medicines containing it at the pharmacy counter (still no prescription though). Something about how easy it was to convert it into heroin or something.
                That would be Meth, not heroin.
                Thanks to them fucktard meth heads, I have to wait in fucking line at the pharmacy counter to get Sudafed. That is the only thing that works on my sinus headaches with good results.
                -Rick

Comment

I have 3 kids.

Cold medicine worked fine. We gave small does when necessary. Never had any issues with it.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    That would be Meth, not heroin.
                    Thanks to them fucktard meth heads, I have to wait in fucking line at the pharmacy counter to get Sudafed. That is the only thing that works on my sinus headaches with good results.
                    I had to get some of that for my roommate who was sick a few months ago. Stupid waiting on line, then having to show my driver's license so they could write all my info down. I guess they give all the info to the government or whatever so they can check how often it's bought and if you might possibly be making meth.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X