Ah Yes, The Wanker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah Yes, The Wanker?

What do you think about the guy who makes a video on youtube that just sits and wanks out notes as quick as he can with lots of delay and effects?

Or better yet the guy at Guitar center, or any guitar store for that matter who does the same?

If you were in the hunt for other guitarist would you approach the wanker? I've been debating this, cause there is plenty of ego in it? And honestly I love shred, but it can be done without the wanking ya know?

Now I've already read the arguments about how people think that in mastery of the guitar it should be shown, but who says he/she is a master at guitar. Would you want somebody who wanks, or somebody more melodic and understands its not weight lifting?

Just a thought after I was going through some local band mix profiles.

Note choice over speed always wins for me. But if you can combine both in a tasteful way, even better. It's always good to have a few tricks up your sleeve for when you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by wakeUPdead View Post
      Would you want somebody who wanks,

I NEVER wank. EVER. Despite what that court case reported. I was simply cleaning it, very very fast. Really.
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

When you see guys playing with a backing track and they are working a technique into the context of a song that is ok. When it is just some guy blazing through scales showing different techniques in doing so it's not to impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
          I NEVER wank. EVER. Despite what that court case reported. I was simply cleaning it, very very fast. Really.
          It just accidentally went off! :ROTF:
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Given that the choice around here is either people who shred or people who can't play at all, I'd rather have the shredder. Just don't let him do much of the writing if he sucks at it

Comment

i love fast guitar playing but im more into marty friedman to rusty cooley
              Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
              Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I LOVE shred..it's what I've been doing for a very long time. But, you need a balance of speed and tasty phrasing.

all my "heroes" and infulences are FAST but they were great..Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes, George Lynch, Criss Oliva, Gary Moore, John Sykes, etc..fast foward..Jorn Viggo Loftad, Jeff Loomis, Glen Drover The Amott Bros, ect..

Hey better Shred than than scratching records, making fart noises, grabbin' at yoursels like you got crabs, dressed in FUBU-wear trying to be the next Fred Durst or Eminen..fuck that!

So I think shred and guitar worship music RULES!!!

It takes LOTS of practice, dedication SKILL to "shred"..ANYONE can be a Fred Durst..just ask Zakk:ROTF:
                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

If it's mindless shredding ala Rusty Cooley, I'll stop the video faster than Bill Z Bubb can say fuggum or reference Uli.
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Yeah Mark!!!...ULI..now that's fuggin' playin!!!

Y'know..I have Outworld w/ Rusty..he's a great shredder..he can go..his writing is a bit bland to me..and his singers can bite my balls..I'm gettin' sick of the opera man shit..but it's still better than Fred Durst!!!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      Randy Rhodes,
                      WHO????

HOW DARE YOU BILL!!!
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        I LOVE shred..it's what I've been doing for a very long time. But, you need a balance of speed and tasty phrasing.

all my "heroes" and infulences are FAST but they were great..Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhodes,

Yeah, you lost me...

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          WHO????

HOW DARE YOU BILL!!!
                          He was tryring to type "RR", and then got happy fingers,
                          and started shredding the keyboard. So much for "fast, and accurate"...

Comment

I mean how much respect can you give to somebody who is always "look at me". It just gets irritating sometimes, back when I used to practice like 8 hours a day I was getting damn good. I was feeling really confident about it all, but times got hard and I couldn't keep practicing as much.

I'm trying to get back into my routine, I played some on Sunday.

I'm not knocking the dedication to the craft at all, but its that look at me attitude I can't stand. I mean the rockstar attitude has that ego to it, but I guess as long as they can actually play ya know? Instead of wanking just to play fast and be the center of attention - add to the song.

Comment

Eruption started that 30 years ago. Everyone has been trying to compete with Eddie ever since.

Most of those guys don't actually play like that on stage anyway though they only can do it sitting in their bedrooms - put em on stage in front of an audience and they'll be playing simpler stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X