No announcement yet.

pitbull training question for clevelandmetalzone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a terrier trait my first pit did and my boston does it. It's a pain too because you dont see it when you get into bed. The next thing you know you slide your feet under the blankets and hit cold dog slobber. Defintely something you want to break them of sooner than later. Simple consistant commands letting the dog know not to be up there is best.

Comment

Prolly not gonna "easily" break them of it.

First of, DO NOT USE A SHOCK COLLAR on a pittie. Believe it or not, as hard core and pain resistant as they can be and people seem to think they are, pitties are a actually very soft dog emotionally. Abuse from an owner can really mess one up.

So realize that a shock collar VERY LIKELY will make a pittie (especially a young one) scared, paranoid, untrusting and just generally weird. Easy way to ABSOLUTELY RUIN a good pittie. Seen it happen. Shock collars aren't a great tool at all. They have some uses, but generally, I would avoid them. Lazy people over use them, or use them improperly and ruin good dogs.

Some good observations are an experiment where pups were shocked through the floor they stood on to getthem to do certain things, and many pups eventually instead of trying avoid the shock, merely became nervous messes and would jusy lay down on the shocking floor, giving up in a quivering mess just crying out in pain, not trying to even help themselves and were psychologicaly/emotionally damaged from the experience.

You don't want it on the bed, couch etc, when it gets on it, you tell it (not yell, or hit), "NO, (insert dog name here), OFF" firmly, and remove it from the the bed etc. Then praise the dog when it lays down elsewhere.

This may not work with some hard headed pits and you will have to escalate the negativity in a logical manner. Just take it easy and see how it works. They are VERY smart dogs, VERY emotionally sensitive to their alpha master, and (almost awlays) only want to please. Of course, some are punks and try to play you and that is them challenging the alpha role. Then there are others issues going on there with how you are handling the dog.

BUT generally, if you don't want it up there, then make that strict and dont break down and call it up when you're lonely wantin some doggy attention sometimes. That will mess things up.

If your friends are interested in doing better by their dog and having a good companion, take time and read through these sites, they are invaluable sources:

EXCELLENT info..

http://www.sonic.net/%7Ecdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm

articles about dog training and/or behavior that emphasize a scientific approach

There is truly a wealth of info on these sites if you want to be the master your dog thinks you are. Live up to them and train them right.

Comment

Some very good advice listed here guys.

I also agree with Fett on the kid thing, however I am all for use of the shock collar on ungovernable kids!

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
          So what you are saying is if I own a Alpha Male it will kill me in my bed? And, I have owned an Alpha Dog. It was an Australian (Sp) cattle dog. He was a sweetheart until he saw another dog. He was neutered but that didn't stop him. I have had 4 dogs in my 57 years and I am done.

No, you are the alpha male. You shouldn't let the dog in your bed. It then starts to confuse them on whether they need to fill the alpha role. It spirals from there.

I'm a hypocrite though. It's hard to say no to Simken.

Comment

Working...
          X