Vizio TVs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vizio TVs?

Are these any good? The wife and I bought a Magnavox 42" LCD TV (720p) and it was delivered Monday. Well the damn thing is broken! It's got a thin vertical line running from the bottom to almost half-way up the screen. We called the 800 number and talked to our salesman, and they both said it's out of stock and can't be replaced because they don't have anymore 720p TVs, just 1080p. Well we aren't going to shell out more money, so the wife called today to have them cancel the sale, pick it up, and close our Sears card. I guess she got a manager then, and he is offering a Vizio 42" LCDTV that is 1080p, for no extra money out of our pocket. I know it's a newer brand, but does anyone have experience with these?
    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

From what I have seen a read about them, they seem to be pretty decent TV's.
    All the reviews I've come across have been positive.
    Some minor complaints, but not any different than with any other brand.
    -Rick

Comment

Dude,
      I work for the TV repair department for sears......

DONT.......

Just DONT.......

Seriously, Dont Do it... :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
        Dude,
        I work for the TV repair department for sears......

DONT.......

Just DONT.......

Seriously, Dont Do it... :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
        +1

Philips is in the same boat with me. POS lasted less than a year before the problems started.

RCA died after 10 years.

I guess you need to fork over the big bucks to get something that will last, or maybe not.

Comment

I have a 32" Vizio (newer model) and aside from the occassional can't-tune-to-an-hd-channel-but-does-on-another-try I've had zero problems. Picture is almost as good as a big brand for half the price.

Vizio is also a U.S. brand, if that makes a difference to you.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
            Vizio is also a U.S. brand, if that makes a difference to you.
            are you saying they are not made in China??
            the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

they are based in Irvine CA, but they are made in China, Indonesia, and taiwan...

DONT....:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
              Last edited by toddstaples; 10-24-2007, 12:28 PM.
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

they are based in Irvine CA, but they are made in China, Indonesia, and taiwan...

DONT....:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                They are made in Thailand.

V, Inc. is a third-tier manufacturer bolting together components to build high-spec, low-cost TVs. V, Inc. sells its products under the Vizio name through big box retailers like Costco and Target. Low cost is a key component of the company's business strategy. A spokesperson for Vizio said the company was relying on high-volume sales achieved though retail giants like Costco and Sam's Club to give it buying leverage with suppliers, keeping prices of flat-panel TVs at previously unseen lows. The company manufactures the product in Thailand.
                Many new brands manufacturing plasma and LCD TVs are purely virtual enterprises with no manufacturing capacity and no support. Some of the new players don't even staff corporate offices. While Vizio doesn't release specifics on who manufactures its products, it does seem to have a support program. Out-of-warranty service is available at Vizio's national offices in California or in-home, which we suspect consumers will opt for. A Vizio spokesperson said that while in-home service is national, customers in very remote locations are sometimes outside of service areas. If you're that far out, you will probably have to drive at least as far to get the TV serviced as you did to buy it.
                Last edited by rjohnstone; 10-24-2007, 12:35 PM.
                -Rick

Comment

I jsut got a 37" Vizio as a gift...and so far its been great.....just curious to why all the DONT'S...

Comment

Originally posted by Psh511 View Post
                    I jsut got a 37" Vizio as a gift...and so far its been great.....just curious to why all the DONT'S...
                    I'm curious too. Mine's been great for almost 7 months. If I had spent over $1000 on it and it had the same very minor problems mine has I'd be really upset. But for $600? I can live with having to retune a channel once in a while.
                    Scott

Comment

I get the feeling Mr. Staples doesn't know what he's talking about.
                      -Rick

Comment

Because the Failure rate is over 12% where as the Failure rate for say Panasonic is less than 2%

I just work on em all day, thats all.....

Comment

Because the Failure rate is over 12% where as the Failure rate for say Panasonic is less than 2%

I just work on em all day, thats all.....
                          Eh, it's a fairly new company, still working the kinks out. I hear that the VL series had major problems and that the VX series fixed most of them. Also people buying a $1500 TV are likely to treat it a bit better than those buying a $600 TV.

Scott

Comment

Mmmmmkay........

He asked about TV's, and I work on em. I though maybe I was qualified to anwser his question.....

Proceed on, nothing to see here....

Comment

Todd, what are some of the specific problems? Is it workmanship (ie. bad solder joints or something) or inferior components that are failing? Very curious to know. The prices on the Vizio, Olevia, etc. just seem too good to be true.

Comment

Working...
                              X