Tinkering with stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinkering with stuff

I have a love /hate relationship with tinkering. There is nothing more gratifing than fixing something. We all know that about guitars. Well, today I bought a vintage Pioneer SX 850 receiver and a Pioneer SL 530 turntable for $22. The receiver works well, thank God. I can flip the receiver for $100+. It's the turntable. In great condition, they fetch $150+. Well, mine isn't. The tone arm lift doesn't work. So, I took the Tinker's step and took the bottom off the turntable and spotted the problem. Great. But, I spent 2 hours trying to fix it. I don't know which way to put the little arm on the nylon cam. I'll try again tomorrow. There is some heavy talk on the board right now. I just thought I would play a "Tinker's Lament"
    Last edited by fett; 10-25-2007, 03:44 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Yep, there's nothing quite like putting something back together after you have broken the security seal and took it all apart to either see how it works, or fix it.

There's also nothing quite like looking at a pile of screws and bits and pieces you hadn't noticed when you were re-assembling, and wondering where the fucking hell they came from.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

:ROTF: That too.:ROTF: :ROTF:

Comment

I am so guilty of having left over parts once I've finished tinkering. :ROTF:
        -Rick

Comment

If I come up with extra parts, I just tell myself that I came up with a more efficient method of assembly.

Yup fett, there is nothing better than taking something apart that you have never worked on before, spotting the problem and fixing it yourself. One of my fun ones recently was a Sony receiver I have that the display kept flickering off and on whenever you pressed a button. Of course the problem started after the warranty period, so I lived with it until the display quit completely. I took it apart and saw that the whole top row of pins for the display were barely soldered to the board, and those that were somewhat soldered had cracks in the joints. A quick solder job and it is back in business.

Tinkering can be productive. I figure that if it has a problem, then I have nothing to lose by tearing it apart.

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

I thought that only happened working on cars.:ROTF:

Comment

It seems that our admins like tinkering with threads.
                "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                X