Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questionnaire for Thesis

Hi all,

I'm currently undertaking a thesis and am looking into the field of MIDI pickup technology in guitars. If anyone can take 5min to fill out the following 10 questions to help me gain some market research for my business plan it would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to achieve at least 30 responses, so if you know anyone interested in partaking in the following questionnaire, please pass it on!

Cheers,

1. How long have you been playing guitar?

2. How would you rate your ability on a scale of 1 through to 10?

3. Do you have a strong knowledge of music theory?

4. Are you familiar with/aware of MIDI pickup technology in guitars?

5. Do you have a MIDI pickup installed in any of your guitars?

6. Do you currently use any MIDI software such as Power Tab, Guitar Pro, Tabbit, etc?

7. If yes, do you use this software as a practice tool, to record ideas or both?

8. Does anyone you know use such programs?

9. Are you familiar with/aware of a computer game called “Guitar Hero”?

10. If yes, are you in any way encouraging of it and its values?
    Last edited by buckethead bungler; 11-05-2007, 08:02 AM.

4 years

Yes

Yes

No

6. Do you currently use any MIDI software such as Power Tab, Guitar Pro, Tabbit, etc?
    Yes - Guitar Pro

7. Does anyone you know use such programs?
    Yes

8. If yes, do you use this software as a practice tool, to record ideas or both?
    Practice only

Yes

It's fun to play but not useful as a means of practicing guitar. It might be a good thing to get people interested in learning real guitar.

Comment

22 years

no

yes

not anymore

Yes (GP)

yes

8. If yes, do you use this software as a practice tool, to record ideas or both?
      both

yes, I suck at it

define "values". It's an interesting way to get non-guitarists into guitar, but there's no way to transpose the 5-button limitation to a real guitar. What's needed is a MIDI-enabled real guitar that interfaces with that type of game.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

14 yrs

Moderate

yes

no

yes - Guitar Pro

Yes

both

No, not really

What are it's values?
        I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

10 years

Yes (B.A. Music)

Aware of yes, but have never used a guitar with one installed.

No.

Guitar Pro

Yes, my friend uses it (GP) extensively for composing.

Both

Yes.

10. If yes, are you in any way encouraging of it and its values?[/quote]
          It's a fun rhythm game, but that's about it.
          Scott

Comment

30+yrs

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

Reference only

Yes

Never even seen someone play it
            Just one more guitar!

Comment

22 years

no

yes

no

yes (GP)

yes

both

yes

Why play when I am already a guitar hero? Just kidding, I think it is a fun game that translates very poorly to actually playing guitar.
              1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
              Jackson SLATQH
              Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
              Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
              Jackson DKMGT (project)
              Kramer Focus 1000
              Ibanez SDGR Bass
              Ovation Celebrity
              Martin Backpacker

Comment

10 years

No

Aware of only

No.

Guitar Pro

Yes

Practice

Yes.

10. If yes, are you in any way encouraging of it and its values?[/quote]
                Only good as a game.

Comment

3 and a half years

yes

yes

no

yes

yes

yes

yes

only that is is a good game that exposes gamers to guitar music but not a guitar replacment
                  Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                  Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

24 Years

No, I am very light on theory.

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

I use it for practice.

Yes

There is no musical value and is nothing more then a pumped up version of Simon with a lot of flash behind it.
                    Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Originally posted by buckethead bungler View Post
                      Hi all,

I'm currently undertaking a thesis and am looking into the field of MIDI pickup technology in guitars. If anyone can take 5min to fill out the following 10 questions to help me gain some market research for my business plan it would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to achieve at least 30 responses, so if you know anyone interested in partaking in the following questionnaire, please pass it on!

Cheers,

1. How long have you been playing guitar? - 15 years

2. How would you rate your ability on a scale of 1 through to 10? - 7

Better than the average hobbyist but not a professional musician.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

Nope.

no

Yes

I don't really like it. I think of the hours people waste playing that game when they could learn to play guitar for real.

Comment

1. How long have you been playing guitar? 23 years

2. How would you rate your ability on a scale of 1 through to 10? 7

3. Do you have a strong knowledge of music theory? no

4. Are you familiar with/aware of MIDI pickup technology in guitars? yes

5. Do you have a MIDI pickup installed in any of your guitars? yes

6. Do you currently use any MIDI software such as Power Tab, Guitar Pro, Tabbit, etc? no

7. Does anyone you know use such programs? yes

8. If yes, do you use this software as a practice tool, to record ideas or both? N/A

9. Are you familiar with/aware of a computer game called “Guitar Hero”?yes

10. If yes, are you in any way encouraging of it and its values? NOOOOO
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

21 years

no

yes

no

yes

no

both

yes

it has no value

Comment

4 years

No

Yes

No

Power Tab and Guitar Pro

Yes

Both, but way more for practice.

Yes

It's just a game, not a learning tool. Just like Call of Duty is a game that I play for fun, and not because I want to be a soldier. I really think its only value is in entertainment. It might inspire someone to learn real guitar, but, it's really nothing like it.
                            Last edited by silentcrescendo; 10-29-2007, 11:51 PM.

Comment

6, maybe 7 years.

Haha. No.

Yes.

No.

Yes (Guitar Pro)

All kinds of people.

Both.

Aye.

Video games have values now? It's exposing people to a somewhat wider spectrum of music... that's never a bad thing. Although the game is nothing like playing a real guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X