Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ohhh.. just had an earth quake

It lasted about 15 secs. 5.6 mag

Oh yeah, they are fun. I've experienced quite a few when I lived out there. In 1986 I was in a hotel in Concord right on top of the S.A. fault. That was the craziest one.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

First thing I did was run to the living room to
      make sure my 50" Sony didn't tip over, even though I
      got it tied down with straps.

Comment

Ohhh sounds like fun. Enough to make you think "oh crap" but then it just dies down. It's supposed to rain a little this weekend down here. So we are all waiting for mudslide season to start.
        Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

yup! experienced it too. I was in Walmart near the juice section. A couple of Juice cans fell down. I was more worried about my jackson's hanging on the wall.
          Sam

Comment

I was in Palo Alto by Stanford Hospital driving did not feel a thing

Comment

Ahh, the four seasons, California style: Flood, Mud, Fire & Earthquake!

Glad it was a little one. I live about 350 miles north of you, and we have fault lines around us here too. One time I was on my waterbed, and I felt what was like a wave that rolled under me. It was really freaky, it felt like the bed was sliding for a second. The wife said she felt it pass through the house, like we moved upward for a second and then dropped.

Good idea tying the big screen down. The way my wife likes to decorate, if/when we get hit this place will fall apart...lol

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                I was in Palo Alto by Stanford Hospital driving did not feel a thing
                I used to work right down the street from there. used to drive down from the city on the 280 and take Page Mill in to Los Altos where my office was.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                  I used to work right down the street from there. used to drive down from the city on the 280 and take Page Mill in to Los Altos where my office was.
                  I live right off of Grant road on the Los Altos/Mountain View border about 5 minutes walking distance from El Camino Hospital.

Funny thing is when the earth quake happened I was in my car in the parking lot with the engine running parked and I did not feel a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                    yup! experienced it too. I was in Walmart near the juice section. A couple of Juice cans fell down. I was more worried about my jackson's hanging on the wall.

Your Jacksons are hanging up in Wal-mart? Wow!
                    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
                      I live right off of Grant road on the Los Altos/Mountain View border about 5 minutes walking distance from El Camino Hospital.

Funny thing is when the earth quake happened I was in my car in the parking lot with the engine running parked and I did not feel a thing.
                      Smooth suspension you got there

There's one that runs through here - the New Madrid Fault - and the experts are continually predicting "the big one" for us - like the one that formed Reelfoot Lake and kinda diverted the Mississippi about 100 years ago.

There was a thing about it on the History Channel a couple of weeks ago, but I missed most of it. They say if it does hit, the Mississippi will change course.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Smooth suspension you got there

There's one that runs through here - the New Madrid Fault - and the experts are continually predicting "the big one" for us - like the one that formed Reelfoot Lake and kinda diverted the Mississippi about 100 years ago.

There was a thing about it on the History Channel a couple of weeks ago, but I missed most of it. They say if it does hit, the Mississippi will change course.
                        That was in 1811 and 1812 that the New Madrid Fault last acted up, so almost 200 years ago. The area was very sparsely populated then too, not the case now. And nobody builds to earthquake codes here in the Southeast either, not even strapping water heaters to the wall. So they will all kick out and pull the water and gas lines loose. so there will be lots of houses burned down or ruined by water damage if the quake doesn't knock them down.

And the Mississippi has only been kept in its current course for the last maybe 50-75 years by the Coirps of Engineers anyway. It should have changed course into the Atchafalaya River basin by now, but it would bypass New Orleans if that happened, so they've kept it in its current channel by building levees to hold it.

So it might not be a hurricane that kills NOLA after all....
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

My atheist buddy said this that I thought was funny:
                          "I don't believe in God, but I think with three of the four elements: Fire, Water, and Earth attacking California, it's obvious God doesn't want people living there. If wind kicks in, I am going to start going to church"
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I remember going to downtown San Francisco and being cheerily told by my mate that "experts" had predicted the streets would be 8' high in broken glass when the Big One hits.
                            A nice thought there!
                            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

31 aftershocks were recorded after the earthquake! And the worst part, I could not call my home using my cellphone to check on my wife and kid (and the jacksons hangin on the wall of my HOME). She kept calling me and all I got were missed calls. And if I tried to call, it would say "connection refused". What's the use of having a cell phone if it cannot be used in an emergency?
                              Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X