• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
    +1
    LOL! I knew I wasn't alone...

Comment

i watch "rock me" on dream tv (trukish music channel) then flip to hbb on commercial breaks. "rock me" shows old school bands.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        and Headbangers Ball is such a good representation of new metal, so there must be nothing else good & new out there......
        Where exactly did i say that?

But it is somewhat of a good representation; these bands are on big tours and (presumably) selling cds. And every single band sounds EXACTLY the same.
        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Last year Mastodon released an album called Blood Mountain, which is now one of my top albums. So I can't really say new metal sucks.

Imo it's the number of the bands being huge. There are zillions of them and the succesful ones are decreasing in percentage
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            HBB debuted April 11, 1987

I went to the first HBB concert tour... Anthrax, Exodus and Helloween!
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Most new metal with the growly vocals does nothing for me. But there are a handful of bands that I really dig too. I know there is another thread about this, but I'm really impressed with Avenged Sevenfold. Great musicians and they actually have great vocal melodies/harmonies.
              Last edited by Big D; 11-04-2007, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                Most new metal with the growly vocals do nothing for me.
                I disagree Big D. It does something for me. It make my bowels move. New metal growly vocals is very good for people with constipation. Metamucil ain't got shit on new metal! BTW, I still got the SL1 Big D and still digging her.
                "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Learning to do harsh vocals without killing yourself is fucking hard to do. Don't like 'em? Don't watch the fucking show.
                  Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I think the issue is the it's "Headbangers Ball", yet the majority of the stuff is "growly metal" even though there are a lot of other metal bands that don't growl - Wolfmother, Alabama Thunderpussy, Helloween, Iced Earth, Hanoi Rocks, but I guess that's not heavy enough to be headbanging music - and those bands are all oldschool or retro anyway even though they are new or still active.
                    I am sure the Zepplin and Who guys were dissing Maiden and Metallica when they came out, so it's just the old farts not down with the new thing as usual.

Kids today and their damned growly metal music, why when I was a kid we had operatic men dressed as women wearing zebra patterned spandex. Ahhh, the good old days. Only Kiss and King diamond wore corpsepaint.
                    When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                      Learning to do harsh vocals without killing yourself is fucking hard to do. Don't like 'em? Don't watch the fucking show.
                      But can you call it vocals when you can't even make out what the fuck they're saying? The CD sleeve may have the lyrics but for I you know they might be just re-hashing old Sesame Street lyrics.
                      "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                        Ah, the monthly "I have to whine about metal I don't like instead of just finding something that I do" thread.
                        yup

I decided to hold back on my usual rant - whereby I provide names of a bunch of new bands that don't gargle barbed wire and/or have melodic but technical guitar solos (the whines are usually similar) - since the folks complaining don't really seem to want to hear that there are alternatives to the bands force-fed to us on the radio & MTV
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
                          Where exactly did i say that?

But it is somewhat of a good representation; these bands are on big tours and (presumably) selling cds. And every single band sounds EXACTLY the same.
                          It's a good representation of either bands that have already made it or bands that the labels are currently pushing. But it's not a good representation of what's out there.

I was turned off metal for years by the crap they used to show on HBB. I couldn't bear the stuff they were playing. It was either hair metal, death metal or the increasing amount of Nirvana & friends they were programming in. It might have been the stuff that was selling, but largely because it was the stuff the labels were pitching to kids. As a consequence, I stopped listening to most new metal.

Now I'm kicking myself. I've spent the last few years catching up on all the cool metal that was coming out (but not being heavily promoted) all through the 90s, that I had missed because I'd given up in despair. Although I did build up my jazz & blues collection during that period.

I won't make the same mistake twice. The music you want is out there, but you might have to go find it yourself.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

I must say, even in the 80's I always had to sit through some real crap on HBB that Ricki Rachman promised would be "awesome" before the good stuff came on.

Comment

2007 in no different than 1987. Turn off the TV and discover YOUR own metal..the sea in infinite!

HBB and MTV is NOT the end, be all of music. I still have to waite for two hours to see a decent "metal" video. Push the spoon away and investigate real metal on your own. It has never been easier. When I was "Investigating" it was through word of mouth and mail order, and I hoped for the best. You don't have to take those chances anymore, now you can hear before you buy..

What do you like..I could steer you in the right direction..you'd me amazed waht you've been missing. Gary and others can be of assist as well..they turned me onto stuff.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                                It's a good representation of either bands that have already made it or bands that the labels are currently pushing. But it's not a good representation of what's out there.

I was turned off metal for years by the crap they used to show on HBB. I couldn't bear the stuff they were playing. It was either hair metal, death metal or the increasing amount of Nirvana & friends they were programming in. It might have been the stuff that was selling, but largely because it was the stuff the labels were pitching to kids. As a consequence, I stopped listening to most new metal.

Now I'm kicking myself. I've spent the last few years catching up on all the cool metal that was coming out (but not being heavily promoted) all through the 90s, that I had missed because I'd given up in despair. Although I did build up my jazz & blues collection during that period.

I won't make the same mistake twice. The music you want is out there, but you might have to go find it yourself.
                                Exactly, agreed 100%..I shouldn't even wasted my time posting.
                                "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                                Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                                X