Auto Repair Gurus, Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Repair Gurus, Help Please

I've got an '87 Mazda B2000 pickup (engine rebuilt about 3 yrs. ago) that I use for light errands, and yesterday it decided to quit. Ran fine all day, then just wouldn't start. Engine turns over, I have fuel, but no spark. Did a few tests with my Dad's help. Pretty sure we've ruled out the coil & narrowed it down to the ignition module (aka igniter) inside the distributor, but we aren't 100% sure.

The big issue we're having is that there is a part that the igniter plugs into that may also be the problem. I can't find a schematic that IDs the part, and no online source that sells it. It's a coil of fine wire that I assume generates a charge that runs to the igniter. We get no continuity through this coil, and the protective layer around it was damaged, so we think it may be the culprit rather than the igniter itself. Plenty of places carry the replacement igniter, but none mention this other part.
    Here's one: http://www.overnightautoparts.com/st...294967012+5819

I guess I'll probably be stuck going to a dealership, but I at least want to try & track this thing down. Can anybody name the part for me? Pics:

Here are the parts plugged together:

Apart, Igniter is on the bottom:

Another angle, showing the wire coil:

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Well, I see a Mitsubishi logo on there, I went to http://www.yourmitsubishipart.com/search.aspx

and tried 6602 and 6602s
    but no luck...

then I tried http://www.mazda-parts.com/part_number.html

also no luck
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I'd just grab a whole distributor if available new/rebuilt, otherwise I'd hit the junkyard.
      |My CSG gallery|
      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Also, those blade terminals look pretty crusty, have you tried cleaning em up?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
          I'd just grab a whole distributor if available new/rebuilt, otherwise I'd hit the junkyard.
          Yeah, it may come down to that, but most of the distributors are listed as "without module", so it'd be just my luck that it turns out the module is the problem. May hit a junkyard this week to try to grab one & at least rule out that little coil part. I'll call around tomorrow if I have time & see if someone has a breakdown of the distributor that identifies the part, and if it can be bought separately.

Yeah, Ron, they are a bit dirty. Not quite as bad as the flash makes 'em look. I may give it a try with the daylight left, but the fact that it happened suddenly + the fact that I'm not getting any current through that coil just really makes me think that's it.
          Last edited by dg; 11-04-2007, 04:09 PM.

Comment

All the parts stores I frequent have the equipment to test the electronic ignition modules, so you should be able to rule that out. Just make sure a new module comes with the thermal grease. The first one I replaced didn't have any in the box with it, I didn't know any better & it burned out in a couple of days. doh

I've heard that part, albeit on a GM HEI distributor, referred to as the pickup or reluctor.
            |My CSG gallery|
            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

That part is called the Ignition Reluctor Ring, and odds are you will only find it at the dealership. I had to replace one in a friends B2000 that we stuffed a cam in back in the mid 90's. We tried all of the local parts houses, and finally gave up and went to the dealer.

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, my dad kept calling it the pickup module & he's mostly a GM guy. Seems like they call it an igniter on some of the Japanese cars. Thanks for reminding me about the thermal grease. I've heard of that happening, and I'll make sure I get it.

-edit- Thanks, Doug!!

Comment

Found one for $12 on closeout at RockAuto, so that will kick ass if the dealership tries to stick it to me. They're calling it the "ignition pickup coil", but I only found it by searching for "Mazda ignition reluctor ring". Thanks again, DrDoug!

Comment

No prob! Glad you were able to find it outside the stealership.

Edit: I just remembered that when we got the part from the dealer, the parts guy told us to replace the ignition module too. He said that the pickup ring will fail if the module fries, and if it failed for that reason then when the new ring is plugged in then it will blow out too. It could be a way to pimp the modules (for sales), but it also makes sense that what he said could be true.

We chose not to roll the dice, we got the module too. Not cheap either, if I remember.

Just thought it would be good to let you know this!
                    Last edited by DrDoug; 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Update - Got the part today & it was up & running in 10 minutes. I'm going to take a few short trips first just in case it was the module that caused the ring to fail, but I think it's fixed. Thanks guys! Oh, and I've got to say if you ever need a hard-to-find part and don't wan't to get reamed by the dealership, check out rockauto.com! They have great prices, ship fast, & even take PayPal.

Comment

That's way cool. At least you didn't have to take it out to the North 40 and shoot it.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                        X