Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Directv/Dish Network

Guys,

Are these satellite systems affected by the weather? I'm thinking about switching from my cable provider to get more HD channels, but will think twice if the satellite reception suffers from rain or snow...
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

If its raining hard forget it. But RainX does help alot

Comment

I have DirecTV, and during heavy thunderstorms it tends to get a bit choppy, but I don't every get more than a few seconds of choppiness at a time.
      I've completely lost the signal maybe two or three times over the past two years I've had it. And the longest outage I've ever had due to weather was maybe 10 minutes. Perfectly acceptable to me.

Of course compared to my previous cable connection (Cox), it's fantastic.
      My cable would go out at least once or twice a month for no reason at all.
      Sometimes for the entire day!
      All I got were excuses, so I told them to pound sand.

What is this "snow" you speak of? I'm not familiar with it. Gotta love the AZ desert.
      -Rick

Comment

My dish network signal cuts out completely in a heavy rainstorm,
        I say the boy ain't right!

Comment

spray it with pam in the winter time so snow will slide off it too. if it is covered by snow you are done. no signal. mine goes out way less than cable did.... lol.

Comment

>> ...RainX...PAM...

I thought you guys were kidding!
            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Mine goes out with heavy rain storms and in wet snows the snow will stick to it ( a few snowballs to the back of it takes can of that though). I never had a good picture with cable for years.

Comment

Are you serious about the RainX? I get rain fade bad with Dish Network.
                1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom
                Jackson SLATQH
                Jackson DK2M Inferno Red
                Jackson DK2M With a Learn Custom Paint Job
                Jackson DKMGT (project)
                Kramer Focus 1000
                Ibanez SDGR Bass
                Ovation Celebrity
                Martin Backpacker

Comment

My DirecTV went out a few times during the summer's heavy thunderstorms. Outage ranged from a few seconds to 5 minutes at the most. I'm quite please with the picture quality as well.
                  My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I've had DTV for 10 years now and have lost the signal maybe a handfull of times, for a max of a few minutes. My cable Internet on the other hand seems to go out at least a few hours every month.
                    Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

I've had DirecTV for quite a while now. Rainfade is a bitch but it really doesnn't happen that often to me...

I use to have the basic cable package as well in my house. Just for the times when rain/snow fade would kill the signal. It happened a few times, but never stayed out for longer than 5-10 minutes. So at the beginning of this year I decided I didn't want to pay the 15 bucks a month for something I hardly use. I cancelled the cable in January and have not lost my signal once since then...

It will happen, but it's few and far between and it doesn't last long at all. At least in my area...
                      I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I have directv. I meant to sign up for dish, but got distracted - I liked hair nation that came with sirius/dish.

Anyway, it goes out less than my cable did, but when we get the BAD storms - like tornado weather, we can lose it all together. That's when I break out the cable modem and check weather.com LOL My internet comes from TimeWarner cable.

I did like hitting the weather channel when it's coming down hard and dark outside, but with dish you may just not have jack when it's like that.

It's never been down 24 hrs like cable, more like 5-15 minutes at the worst. We don't worry about snow much here
                        When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

Another thing. Cable gets its programming from satellite dishes. So they are susceptible to this problem as well...
                          Last edited by Bengal; 11-05-2007, 09:56 PM.
                          I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. The outages sound rather minor, so I think I'll switch.

Comment

so in seattle dish would be a bust with all the rain?
                              ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                              X