Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A thank you to the JCF.... (apologies for the novel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A thank you to the JCF.... (apologies for the novel)

The recent discussion about Ron's 26k posts got me reflecting on my time as a member of the JCF.

I've been here for 7(?, maybe more) years now, since I was first researching the Jackson Fusion Plus I'd recently acquired. I had no idea what I'd just bought and was madly scouring the net for info on it. The JCF must've been about 30 strong at the time, and good ol' Greg Crowe helped me identify it. He had me measure the scale length, and was then able to confirm just what model I was playing. And so the journey began. Now we have nearly 10,000 registered members, with a high water mark of 306 of them online at one time! This place has become focal point of knowledge for Jackson & Charvels.

Since that beginning, we've watched Jeremy & the admins change servers, software, etc. a bunch of times in order to deal with the burgeoning membership. Much bitching ensues each time as folks come to terms with re-registering, new software, loss of familiarity & functionality, new layout & design.

I've got to know a little bit about a bunch of cool strangers from all over the globe, and consider many of you crazy Yanks, Brits, Swedes, Turks, Estonians, Kiwis, et al. friends, despiting having never met you.

We've watched our JCF brothers & sisters fall in love, fall apart, divorce, the births of their children, struggles with employment, illness & injury. Congratulations on new jobs, new bands, new homes, thousands of birthdays. We've watched a lot of them leave the JCF, some on less-than-amicable terms, some just fading out with time.

We've also lost some good'uns along the way, to car accidents & illness. RIP Stu & Donny. Who knows who else, who've just stopped posting, never to be heard from again.

I faded out myself for awhile as I went through some personal shit of my own. And then I return to find the support of my friends here, many of whom have been through the same shit themselves and were full of encouragement & support.

We've identified thousands of guitars, helped folks with thousands of enquiries about restringing Floyds, setting intonation, swapping tubes, the many virtues of lemon oil.

I've laughed long and hard at some of the most amazingly funny shit posted here. And then tried to explain the source of the laughter to my bewildered wife. For some reason, she now tunes out every time I start a sentence with "this guy on the JCF just said....." Hopefully, I've made a few folks laugh in return.

I've had a few memorable stoushes too, some which have gotten particularly ugly, although at the end of the day we seem to get beyond it and get back to laughing & joking around, despite our differences of opinion on religion, war, politics, nascar, Greek holiday destinations & American "candy bars"

This place has introduced me to more shithot music than I could poke a stick at. I'd say (without a hint of exaggeration) that my CD & DVD collections have increased at least 20-fold in my time here. Plus it's really cool that I can support members of the forum by buying their CDs (Coldworker, Under Eden, Prototype, etc) and feel that they FULLY deserve their place in the rack alongside the Megadeth, Nevermore, Savatage cds.

We've rallied together to see off dirtbags as the place was hammered by spammers & offloaders looking to pitch their "rare & desirable" instruments to the JCF like they were shooting fish in a barrel before hightailing it out of here. Of course, we'd all get to enjoy the super-creative profile-manipulation as a result.

I don't post as often as I used to (which is why I didn't crack "No Life" membership years ago), but I still check in every day to catch up on what everyone is up to. And I even still manage a couple of posts per day. I've joined many other forums over the years, often to fill in those slower periods on the JCF, only to come to the realisation that I'm unable to find the fellowship & sense of community that we have here anywhere else. I know other people have favourite forums elsewhere, and some who just haven't got along here, but for me, I haven't found a better fit anywhere else online.

So looking back and with all of that in mind, I raise my glass to all members of the JCF, past & present, to thank you all for the great time I've had here these last 7+ years. I consider you friends & kindred spirits (despite the fact that so many of you kick ass on guitar and I can still barely hold one & stay on my feet) and just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for all that my being part of the JCF Brethren continues to provide me.

best regards
    Gary B, VitaminG. Professional Threadkiller
    Hail yesterday

Here's to you Gary, you've said everything that I too think of the JCF

I think I joined around the same time as you on the old board. Haven't posted too often, but I'm here everyday without fail.

The best place, bar none.

Comment

Well said, Sir.
      I like to think of this place as the best-kept secret on the Interweb, a gathering place for a more select breed of guitar nerd. Free (on the whole) from w00ts and pwning, where civilised adults can discuss the finer points of rock guitar and sac-shaving.
      I love you all! - In a guy kinda way, obviously...

Comment

Indeed, I'll raise a glass to that, even if its H2O. Well said and no doubt will be echo'd by many. If there's anything I need to know about any aspect of guitar, Jackson-Charvel or no, it likely can be found here at the JCF and within its membership. Not to mention the talents to found here too that exist on many levels on membership.

Comment

Well said.

I've been away from this forum some time.. but I was around a couple boards back where you didn't even have to be registered to post Great forum.
          "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

That's the reason I keep coming back. Everything you said is spot on, and thanks to the elders for their guidance!

Comment

I could not have said it better myself. Maybe I am biased having a charvel as my main player for 19 years, but this is the best board out there. I have looked at other boards and have only joined one other- BC Rich. Lots of great members here. It is sad to see some of the oldtimes not post much anymore. Still the best place to be on the internet.

Comment

Well said man! That's the same way I feel about this place, and you made me smile with the "this guy on the JCF just said..." - god knows how many times I've said the exact same thing to my gf while lmao!

I just want to say that I really enjoy being a member here, this is a great place!!

Cheers!!
                My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Excellent post.
                  My wife does the same thing when I mention the JCF... except I get the eye roll too.

I'm still trying to explain Billz, Atomic Tommy and Fett to her. :ROTF:

-Rick

Comment

Well said! Expresses my feelings about this place exactly, even though I haven't been around as long as some of you guys. I'd also like to say that it is truly amazing that there is such anassembly of great people on the web and you guys have influenced my musical life and my personal life in so many positive ways and I'd just like to thank you all for it

Comment

I think you've nailed the spirit of the forum Gary. I am honoured to be a member and meet all you guys.

I also get "you're not on that forum again!" all the time from the missus, but we do enjoy Billz's posts together sometimes.

Yay! Go JCF!
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Yep, this place does in fact rule. I'm like you VitaminG, I check in everyday and read but don't post as much. My reason is coz I'm too fucking lazy to type most of the time.

Seriously though, there are some super cool folks here and I just love to read about guitars and gear and music and whatnot.

Cheers to all y'all
                        THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

this place is truly one of a kind.
                          Guitars... Rhoads RX10D
                          Amp... Pioneer
                          Effects... Boss ME-20

Comment

Incredible post Gary!

Everytime I start that sentence "this guy on the JCF..." my friends all reply "JCF again? " then I start trying to tell them how an incredible place the JCF is and why I'm talking about it all the time, now if I ever really need to do that I'm going to make them read your post! That tells a lot bro!
                            Check my bands!
                            www.myspace.com/magicktr
                            www.myspace.com/sinif64
                            www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Great post Gary!! This is, indeed, the coolest place on the web. You guys and gals rock!

Comment

Working...
                              X