slot cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slot cars

anyone into them the little HO ones. i just bought my kid a track went on the bay got like 40' of extra track. he's only 5 & its like the coolest thing for him. now for the questions. what are good cars, or should i say maybe slower, better handling ones? he still has some issue with cars flying off the track. do they make a bigger power supply & /or powered track section, you can tell they do slow down as they get further from the powered track section, especially with all 50' in use.
    thanks

BTW it makes me feel like a little kid again, but i never had a track this big.... oh the memorys of christmas making the dog go nuts....

What brand and how old? I have about a jillion feet of track and probably 70 cars.:ROTF: Go figure 8.
    Last edited by fett; 11-08-2007, 03:17 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

DAMN AFX tomy, the earlier AFX track had a different clip. these clip in the center not on the outter edge like the older ones. i was told all the cars work on any companys track except one scalelectrix or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
        I have about a jillion feet of track and probably 70 cars.:ROTF:
        Yeah Fett never understood the term "quality above quantity"

Flo
        http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

You have Quik Clik track. I have tons of that. When you can buy this stuff as cheap as I can, quality comes with the quantity Wise Guy.
          Last edited by fett; 11-08-2007, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Those are so damn cool. I have an old Aurora Model Motoring/Thunderjets set from the 60's that my dad bought back then. I played with it a lot as a kid...I will need to break it out sometime. The cars are really killer...60's stuff...Jag XKE's, 63 Corvette, Cobra, Ferrari, 63-64 Thunderbirds & Rivieras....I think the old sets & cars are rather collectible these days.

Comment

when i was a little tike i used to have a few HO slotters and track's i did mostly tractor pulling a mini-monsters though

Comment

So which style of track do you have the most of? I just may get a little generous. And they do make more powerful power packs.
                Last edited by fett; 11-08-2007, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I built a 68 foot 4 lane AFX track 2 years ago complete with scenery, pits and lighting. I'm running everything from the old Thunderjets to Scale Auto magnet cars with brutally fast motors. My fastest car will do the '68 feet in 1.3 seconds and it's a road course! The track joints must be absolutely in alignment for using the magnet cars.

Scale Auto (importer of AFX in the U.S.) just came up with the new G-Jet. It's basically a AFX Tomy G+ without the magnets, so it's very much like the handling of the old Thunderjet with a much better motor setup. I'll post some pics later!

It also has a laptimer hooked up to my computer using fiber optics and LED's, so I can accurately track lap times and speed.
                  Last edited by Bengal65; 11-08-2007, 04:11 PM.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I am a big 1/32-1/24 fan dating back to 1963.:ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                      I built a 68 foot 4 lane AFX track 2 years ago complete with scenery, pits and lighting. I'm running everything from the old Thunderjets to Scale Auto magnet cars with brutally fast motors. My fastest car will do the '68 feet in 1.3 seconds and it's a road course! The track joints must be absolutely in alignment for using the magnet cars.

Scale Auto (importer of AFX in the U.S.) just came up with the new G-Jet. It's basically a AFX Tomy G+ without the magnets, so it's very much like the handling of the old Thunderjet with a much better motor setup. I'll post some pics later!

It also has a laptimer hooked up to my computer using fiber optics and LED's, so I can accurately track lap times and speed.
                      That sounds like fun. I use to love those as a kid. A few years ago I started racing the big ones but don't anymore. I still have all the crap tho.
                      Just one more guitar!

Comment

I ran the little tiny ones about the same as normal Hot Wheels cars - I'm guessing you guys are all talking about the bigger stuff since the names don't ring any bells at all.

Comment

Hey Bengal, I'd love to see a picture of your set up if you can post it in the thread here. I have a bunch of track as well from when i was a kid sitting in the boxes in the basement.

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
                            Hey Bengal, I'd love to see a picture of your set up if you can post it in the thread here. I have a bunch of track as well from when i was a kid sitting in the boxes in the basement.
                            You got it. I used to race the 1/24 scale sidewinder "pan" cars in the late 60's professionally (similar to the R/C guy's do now) Most of those tracks are long gone now, but I have my HO's

We used to have 2 commercial tracks in the basement when I was a kid, While I was away at college, the parents boxed everything up and SOLD most of everything. I was pissed to say the least!!!!

Years later I got the bug to sort of recreate the HO track we had, so I went to town building this one. It has all the bells and whistles

Check out this Pro controller. I can adjust it to any track or car in the World!

Here's a pic of the hand built pits and also one coming out of a turn in a Formula 1 race. I'm also setup for NASCAR of course.

These 2 bottom pics, we are about to run the NASCAR race. Note the "Team" 18 wheelers on the pit area. The upside down "U" on the right is the photo cells for the laptimer. It's all wired below to the computer interface. The track is powered every 15 feet and each lane has a seperate adjustable power supply. I run 18 volts for the magnet cars and 12 volt for the Thunder and G Jets.

More, bigger pics:

NASCAR (staged)

Formula 1 (staged)

Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

wow, thats pretty cool. Banked corners and everything!

Comment

Working...
                              X