Any "Dune" fans out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any "Dune" fans out there?

So close and yet so far. I'm very familiar with Frank Herbert's Dune trilogy. Hell, my dad knew the man. A true 1st edition of "Dune" sells for big bucks. I know. I sold a signed one for $5,000 a few years ago. Today, I bought the trilogy plus God Emp. All hardbacks and in superb condition for $11. I just about wet my pants when I saw them. I got them home and they are all "Book Club Editions". Bottom line is that I will able to sell them for about the price of a Squier instead of a CS or 2. Damn. I thought I grabbed the brass ring.
    Last edited by fett; 11-10-2007, 02:25 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Dune is one of my favourites. I love it all, the books, the movie, the games. Hell I even have the mini-series on dvd!
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I had visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.:ROTF: What a let down.

Comment

Dune is one scifi movie I was able to really enjoy, the first book was great. I didn't care for the others.

Comment

dune was a bloody strange film, with bits of the plot that seemed completely irrelevant to anything lol...the sound track is good, but thats coz toto did it :p

i heard the books are supposed to be really god tho

Comment

My father was a sci-fi freak from the '30's until he died in 1983. He knew them all. I grew up seeing all those authors and watching him put on World Cons. When I was growing up in the '50's and '60's, I just thought those people were weird. But when I was a teen, I did read "Dune" and it was great. For some reason, I never caught on to sci-fi. I may have been too close.:ROTF:

Comment

I don't think the Lynch movie did the book any justice. No wonder Lynch has his name taken off it in some releases. I've not seen the Dune mini-series so I can't comment on that.

I quite enjoyed the books but found them quite hard going.
              Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

I have all of the books (paperback though), and while I like the books I thought the movie was kinda weak (compared to the books). The books weave an intricate storyline and you have to really pay attention to the who, what and where in them.

Frank Herbert was an excellent storyteller in his books. Another author I like is C.S. Lewis. Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength are my favorites.

My only 'collectible' books are the three Myst books (signed by the owner of Cyan Worlds, Rand Miller). They are first editions and in excellent condition (like never read!).

Big time reader here, my family always gives me new novels (hardbacks) for Christmas. I am an Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Dynamics graduate, and can put a novel away in an evening if I am bored...lol!

Too bad fett, you thought you had a live one but it still sounds like you will do ok.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                  I had visions of sugar plums dancing in my head.:ROTF: What a let down.
                  Maybe you can pump up the resale value a bit if you get Sting's signature on it! I hear he's on tour.

Comment

Love the Spice.
                    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I do have to say that while Dune is an excellent book series, the fact that many people (including myself) like to read a series of books about a guy who wrestles with his worm to get it under control and to go where he points it is a bit disturbing.

Now where did I put that Gom Jabbar...

Comment

Gotta give credit where credit is due..... IT IS a gigantic worm.
                        Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

I read a lot of science fiction in my teen ears...
                          Herbert just kind of struck me as the combination of many of them,
                          but with a fixation on drugs. I was not a Dune fan, but I did wade through them, just to be conversant with the rest of my geek friends.
                          I was, and still am, a big fan of J.R.R. Tolkien. And I still say that Potter is a direct ripoff, without bothering to give credit to the master. Rowling makes me sick. I wouldn't feel that way if she just would give some credit, but I've not heard, or seen it. At least Tolkien showed me where he got his ideas. Bitch.
                          Sorry about the sidetrack rant.
                          How much is an original Plato work worth? I have a college book from about 1932, The Republic.

Comment

I hate to break it to you but Plato was not around in 1932, maybe Play-Dough was...

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                              I hate to break it to you but Plato was not around in 1932, maybe Play-Dough was...
                              Damn...I thought I had something there....:ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                              X