Don't "Go Off" half cocked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
    Social security seems to be real successful right now.
    You're right, it is quite successful. Currently it takes in roughly 2x what it pays out in benefits. It is also quite popular, just ask the AARP. Sure there is a projected shortfall coming up around 2020, but that gives the politicians plenty of time to suggest red herrings like "privatization" that fit their idealogical viewpoint but don't actually do anything to solve the problem.

And Cygnus, I sympathize with your thoughts here but the fact is that Social Security is not a retirement plan. It is more like poverty insurance, look at how its structured. The money that comes in isn't invested in anything. It is actually spent on benefits for current retirees and other expenditures of the government. There is no account for your money to be transferred out of to your control. You may not think that its a good idea to run a program like this, but thats a whole other debate.
    "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Dammit. I should have put an smiley on the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
        Dammit. I should have put an smiley on the end of it.
        I know what you meant
        "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          I know what you meant
          Did I get trolled?

Comment

Working...
          X