No announcement yet.

Think your guitar was expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt, great pics. That looks like a great group of LPs, etc. yoou had on hand.

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
    that's what FMIC uses as reasoning for jacking up prices on plain jane models
    +1. If the fucktard boomers are paying $20k or more for vintage Strats and LPs, this is how FMIC and Gibson justify charging $5k to $10k for a new "reproduction" or "relic" of those years. That s**t may seem like a "bargain" to super deep-pocketed baby boomers in their 50s and 60s, but doesn't sit well with J/C fans who are predominately in their 30s and 40s. ...Different markets & different price ceilings folks.

Comment

I'd rather have a new car

Comment

Are you sure those aren't pot numbers.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I don't actually know the vintage car market that well. Are you telling me a good restoration is worth less than a beat up original? (serious question - I always assumed it was the opposite of the guitar world but I don't actually know)

Comment

I wonder how many are fake.

Comment

What about that black rr with yellow bevels?

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
                I think when the baby boomers stop buying this stuff because they are mostly dead or too old to give a shit anymore they won't be worth as much. There is no way I'd pay 55K for a piece of junk strat and many of my peers feel the same way. Plus there are far less of us to compete for the guitars.
                I'm with you and I hope you are right about our generation not perpetuating this insanity and not paying anywhere near what these prices have been jacked up to (absurdity on parade).
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Wow. A 105K guitar sitting on a $8.00 guitar stand perched up on a table.
                  Man just think if one of those table legs collapsed

Comment

Originally posted by finnman View Post
                    Wow. A 105K guitar sitting on a $8.00 guitar stand perched up on a table.
                    Man just think if one of those table legs collapsed
                    I was kinda thinking the same thing. At those prices, I'd have that LP table surrounded in plexiglass.

Thanks for the pics. It figured they'd have this guitar exhibition thing when I moved away! My friend's been to the Philly guit show once or twice and said it was cool. It reminds me of the gun shows my dad used to take me to.
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

You cant really compare the vintage car market to the vintage guitar market. Theres a BIG difference... those cars, or parts, arent made anymore. They dont look, sound, perform or anything like todays cars. Once theyre gone, theyre gone, and thats it.

A strat on the other hand, still looks exactly the same as it did 60 years ago. A LesPaul still looks the same as it did 60 years ago. In the car market, you pay out your ass for something you simply can not get any more. In the guitar market however, you pay out your ass for something you can go into any music store and buy... only difference is that it wasnt made 60 years ago and doesent have 60 years worth of "mojo" on it. Big fuckin deal, I know I dont want a guitar with someone elses "mojo" on it, atleast not for that price.

Sure, vintage guitars that arent made any more are the exception... but paying $105k for a STRAT that ISNTeven a part of rock history is just... There isnt a word for it, it just boggles my mind. Today it seems people have more money than brains, thats what fuels this market. Just wait for the upcomming depression, these guitars wont be worth dick in the near future.
                      Last edited by RobRR; 11-14-2007, 08:23 PM.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

How the hell can you enjoy a $105K Strat? You can't play it on stage and to the general public it looks like every other Strat.

Cool pics though, thanks.
                        Turn that Sh......... down!

Comment

I think the only way to enjoy the the 100K$ strat, is to actually have the kind of money to buy it, you can like wack it with a wad of cash, and wipe up with another!

Comment

The two biggest problems with these types of collectors is #1 they usually don't even play, and they NEVER play these particular guitars, and #2, they fool themselves into thinking they are preserving a piece of history.

The problem herein is that these are musical instruments. It doesn't matter if they're 100 years old or 1 year old, if they're not being played, they're worthless. What good is preserving something that will never be played? The history of these things is in their sound, not their outward appearance. If you want investments, talk to Charles Schwab and leave the musical instruments for musicians only. If you don't play, don't buy.

Would you buy a paintbrush and paint if you didn't paint? Would you buy food and not eat it? Would you buy a whore and not... well, you know.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

+1 with Newc, i'm really not into this whole snobbish "value for the sake of value" kind of thing. None of those guitars seem especially appealing to me, who cares if hendrix or page used a similar one made by the same company???
                              "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                              The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                                The two biggest problems with these types of collectors is #1 they usually don't even play, and they NEVER play these particular guitars, and #2, they fool themselves into thinking they are preserving a piece of history.

The problem herein is that these are musical instruments. It doesn't matter if they're 100 years old or 1 year old, if they're not being played, they're worthless. What good is preserving something that will never be played? The history of these things is in their sound, not their outward appearance. If you want investments, talk to Charles Schwab and leave the musical instruments for musicians only. If you don't play, don't buy.

Would you buy a paintbrush and paint if you didn't paint? Would you buy food and not eat it? Would you buy a whore and not... well, you know.
                                the utilitarian angle is an excellent point and one I'd not really considered other than the typical "rich dickhead buys guitar he won't play" reaction.

but yeah you are totally on target here.
                                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Working...
                                X