Gas price Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas price Idea

I dont know about you but these gas prices are hurting us. We dont make 80 grand a year. I read about an idea that just might work at getting there attention.

We hear all the ideas of a one day boycott. Well thats dumb because they can handle that. How about we just totally boycott JUST one company at a time for a year. Lets start with EXXON. Get all your gas from another compnay. I believe in the 6 degrees of seperation thing.. Pass this idea on to as many as you know maybe we can get there attention and get some refineries built to handle the load.

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
    I dont know about you but these gas prices are hurting us. We dont make 80 grand a year. I read about an idea that just might work at getting there attention.

We hear all the ideas of a one day boycott. Well thats dumb because they can handle that. How about we just totally boycott JUST one company at a time for a year. Lets start with EXXON. Get all your gas from another compnay. I believe in the 6 degrees of seperation thing.. Pass this idea on to as many as you know maybe we can get there attention and get some refineries built to handle the load.
    This won't really matter, there are only a handful of different companies. The names on the stations pretty much don't make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonDean View Post
      This won't really matter, there are only a handful of different companies. The names on the stations pretty much don't make a difference.

True but you can start with any station that say EXXON right? Or maybe the wal mart stations.

Comment

I almost aways get my gas at Murphys USA in the Walmart parking lot. I went yesterday and they busier than usual. As I was waiting for my turn at the pump I see this guy walking around wearing a Murphys shirt. He taking pix with his phone. Later I see place a call so turn off my radio and try to easy drop on his conversation. Granted I couldnt hear him very well. I heard him say how busy the location was and I think I heard him say the should raise their gas prices. Needless to say I went ahead and filled up before they did.
        Just one more guitar!

Comment

True but you can start with any station that say EXXON right? Or maybe the wal mart stations.
          Brand diversity makes that a moot point. An Exxon owned/operated station may be under some other name.

And... The stations themselves are not the problem. With all the taxes and the prices of the gasoline itself, they barely break even on the stuff. They make their money on the POS (point of sale) purchases, ie Slushees, candy bars, meat gum (aka beef jerky) and whatnot. By boycotting one station, you're still going to another station and buying gasoline that is probably supplied by Exxon, BP, whoever. They will get their money one way or another.

The true way to boycott is to reduce your dependency on your car. (It's easy for me to say with Chicago's public transportation system and close proximity of everything I need.) Some ways to do that is to carpool, bike (as in bicycle, not motorcycle), take public transportation (if it's available), horse and buggy, or walk.
          Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
            Brand diversity makes that a moot point. An Exxon owned/operated station may be under some other name.

And... The stations themselves are not the problem. With all the taxes and the prices of the gasoline itself, they barely break even on the stuff. They make their money on the POS (point of sale) purchases, ie Slushees, candy bars, meat gum (aka beef jerky) and whatnot. By boycotting one station, you're still going to another station and buying gasoline that is probably supplied by Exxon, BP, whoever. They will get their money one way or another.

The true way to boycott is to reduce your dependency on your car. (It's easy for me to say with Chicago's public transportation system and close proximity of everything I need.) Some ways to do that is to carpool, bike (as in bicycle, not motorcycle), take public transportation (if it's available), horse and buggy, or walk.

I have no choice with the car. I dont have public transportation available. Im just trhowing out ideas to get the govts attention. We have to get them to quit bending over to the environmentalists. We need more refineries built. There is plenty of oil world wide we just need to be able to refine it faster.

Comment

I have no choice with the car. I dont have public transportation available. Im just trhowing out ideas to get the govts attention. We have to get them to quit bending over to the environmentalists. We need more refineries built. There is plenty of oil world wide we just need to be able to refine it faster.
              Lobbyists... That is the name of the political game. While you may think the environmentalists are the bad guys in this, it's the lobbyists for the oil companies who work harder for not building more refineries. This creates a bottleneck of supply in a time when demand is ever-increasingly high, this gives them more justification to jack up the prices more. Economics 101, supply and demand.

Therefore, the only way to truly counter this is for the masses to decrease their "carbon footprint". While you don't have public transportation, there are other viable options.
              Occupy JCF

Comment

My Areostar just lost the transmission. It's walking and the bus for me. I guess, I doing my fukking part.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I don't make 80k a year and the gas prices aren't hurting me. I've just had to make some changes in the way I drive and how often I drive. I no longer zoom around, revving the engine, peeling out, etc. and I try to group errands together so I go out once rather than a couple times. The car I drive also gets fairly good mileage (by my measurements an average of 27-28mpg) so I end up only filling up twice a month.

I'm kind of torn on the whole issue. On one hand, I'd love to see gas prices come down again. I'd have a lot more extra cash each month.

On the other hand, more expensive gas means fewer sight-blocking SUVs/trucks as people decide they can't afford to take Jimmy to soccer practice everyday in a vehicle that gets 12mpg.
                  Scott

Comment

We need to either start using less oil or start drilling. Trying any kind of boycott of any oil company would just make things worse. Any news of any kind of interruption of business of any oil company would just make prices go up.

Just remember it cost the OPEC nations $4 to get a barrel of oil out of the ground and they sell it now at over $90.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                      My Areostar just lost the transmission. It's walking and the bus for me. I guess, I doing my fukking part.
                      However involuntarily.

Comment

There are 2 possible answers as I see it:

1 - Build an army, take over the country, nationalize the oil industry, make the prices whatever the fuck you want.

2 - Come up with a way to make more money than the oil companies and buy them out.

Comment

I used to vanpool to work before most of you pups were born.:ROTF: I worked in SF and took the vanpool, bus, or ferry. I did my part before anyone gave a shit.:ROTF:
                          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky View Post
                            Lobbyists... That is the name of the political game. While you may think the environmentalists are the bad guys in this, it's the lobbyists for the oil companies who work harder for not building more refineries. This creates a bottleneck of supply in a time when demand is ever-increasingly high, this gives them more justification to jack up the prices more. Economics 101, supply and demand.

Therefore, the only way to truly counter this is for the masses to decrease their "carbon footprint". While you don't have public transportation, there are other viable options.
                            Not to mention the fact that the price of unrefined oil has tripled in the last 5 years. The current high price of gas has very little to do with refinery capacity. The environmentalists are not to blame here, and I have to agree that the solution is to figure out how to use less gas. In other words, start listening to the environmentalists instead of blaming them.
                            "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                              Not to mention the fact that the price of unrefined oil has tripled in the last 5 years. The current high price of gas has very little to do with refinery capacity. The environmentalists are not to blame here, and I have to agree that the solution is to figure out how to use less gas. In other words, start listening to the environmentalists instead of blaming them.
                              +1...

You could always do what alot of people around here are doing, move closer to work. That way walking or biking is not an issue. Here where I live, alot of people love to live in the 'burbs and drive their Hummers and Escalades to work downtown, 20 or so miles away. That just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe if they had a car full of people but they usually don't. So to combat that, because they don't want to get rid of the SUV's, they move closer to work...

I live close enough to walk to work. About a mile or 2 each day. I even walk when it's freezing cold out. But then again, it's the only exercise I get...

It's not the tree huggers that's the problem. IMHO, it's OPEC...
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X