Washer and Dryer recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer and Dryer recommendations?

My Maytag 10-year old dryer is making horrendous scraping/screeching noises. Figure it's time to get a new one. My wife and I started discussing the situation and figured maybe we should be proactive and get a new washer too. So we start looking at those nifty new front load washers with matching dryers.

I've been reading Consumer Reports and Epinions...which sorta contradict each other at times.

Most of the front load washers are in the $1000+ range but in my area I can get like $175 or so in energy rebates. They supposedly take around an hour per load to wash, which sucks when you have 3 kids and a ton of laundry.

Consumer Reports rates top loaders pretty low and the new High Efficiency top loaders low because the water barely gets hot.

So...anyone have good luck or recommendations on front or top load washers in recent years?

Any dryer recommendations?

Thanks!

I just bought a washer and dryer. Both went at the same fucking time. The washer had been screeching for almost a year and finally the motor seized (with a full load it in!), the dryer had been shredding clothes for a couple of months so it was high time.

We bought Whirlpool Duets. The washer is a front loader. It usues a hell of a lot less water and the dryer takes way less time to dry our clothes so were saving tons of energy. That was a big selling point for me. They are both awesome and I would highly recommend them both.

http://housewares.about.com/od/laund...tsportwash.htm
    http://housewares.about.com/od/laund...tsportdryr.htm
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I'd be pissed if my Maytags didn't last longer than 10 years. They are just hitting 10 years this year.

The POS gas dryer needed the gas valve replaced once.

Can't they make shit that last anymore? What about those stupid commercials where the Maytag man is bored and picking up other side jobs?

Comment

We bought Bosch Nexxt 500 series washer/dryer this year. They both work very well and are nice and efficient, plus they don't need HE detergent.

Comment

A 10 year old dryer could be repaired fairly easily I would think. Look underneath and see if you have a pile of black rubber shavings.

Comment

I am in the exact same situation. I know that the drum on my dryer is sagging and this is causing it to rub on the heating element. Are the LG units worth a damn? Are front loaders that much better?
            Last edited by Jason1212; 11-19-2007, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I bought the Maytag Atlantis (Top load washer and front load dryer) combo with the stainless steel tubs.
              Had them for 5 years now and they still work pretty good. The lid sensor on the washer is a bit touchy, you have to give it a bang once and a while. The warranty has long since expired.
              Maytag was sold off years ago and they are NOT made the same way they used to be.
              The 25 year old Maytag dryer I replaced though. That thing was an unstoppable beast until the tension wheel broke and sent the drum to a screeching halt.

When these go, I have no clue what to purchase.
              I have lots of friends that have the front loaders and most hate them.
              You can't load them too full or they will not clean and rinse the clothes properly. And they take FOREVER to do a load of laundry.
              -Rick

Comment

I might be in the market for a washer and dryer myself. The house we just bought has an existing Amana washer and Kenmore dryer. Something isn't sealing tight in the washer, so it leaks a little water underneath, and the dryer spins but doesn't get hot. Wonderful.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPlatteDemon View Post
                  A 10 year old dryer could be repaired fairly easily I would think. Look underneath and see if you have a pile of black rubber shavings.
                  Or maybe a few missing socks.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

My wife and I just got a front loading pair. Whirlpool brand, cost about $600 each IIRC. Depending on the settings, the washer can take up to about 50 minutes, but the normal setting usually takes around 35. The dryer has never taken more than 45 minutes and always gets everything dry. I highly recommend them.

A few points to keep in mind with front load washers:
                    1. They spin very very fast, so make sure they're on a stable surface and properly balanced. I've heard stories about people with the washer on the second floor and it ended up breaking through the floor because there was no support underneath it. Also, if they're not properly balanced they can "walk" quite a bit.

2. You must use special "HE" (high-efficiency) detergent. A few different brands make it and the price is about the same as other name-brand detergents. Don't be fooled by the small size of the bottle. You use about 1/8-1/4 cup each wash so it lasts just as many loads as the normal stuff.

3. Front load washers have a watertight seal around the door. If they didn't, they'd leak all over the floor. This means you have to leave the door open when the washer is not in use, or else mold and mildew will start to grow inside and make your clothes smell funky. The manual for mine recommends running the washer empty with a bleach solution every 6 months or so to keep it clean.

4. Front loaders use a lot less water and a lot less energy than top-loaders. I couldn't compare energy bills directly, since we also moved when we got the new washer/dryer, but my 1000 sq ft townhouse had an average electric bill of $65 a month (no heat/a.c.) and my 1800 sq ft house has an average electric bill of $55 a month (no heat/a.c.). If that keeps up, it means I'm saving $120 a year, so the extra cost of a front loader pays for itself pretty quickly.

To address some things raised by others:
                    1. Every washer, regardless of type will do a poor job washing and rinsing if overfilled.
                    2. I haven't noticed washes taking longer with the front loader versus my old top loader.
                    Last edited by Spivonious; 11-19-2007, 02:43 PM.
                    Scott

Comment

Who cares? It's your wife's problem, let her decide!! (I bet she goes for one that vibrates like Michael J Fox wanking)
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        My wife and I just got a front loading pair. Whirlpool brand, cost about $600 each IIRC. Depending on the settings, the washer can take up to about 50 minutes, but the normal setting usually takes around 35. The dryer has never taken more than 45 minutes and always gets everything dry. I highly recommend them.

A few points to keep in mind with front load washers:
                        1. They spin very very fast, so make sure they're on a stable surface and properly balanced. I've heard stories about people with the washer on the second floor and it ended up breaking through the floor because there was no support underneath it. Also, if they're not properly balanced they can "walk" quite a bit.

2. You must use special "HE" (high-efficiency) detergent. A few different brands make it and the price is about the same as other name-brand detergents. Don't be fooled by the small size of the bottle. You use about 1/8-1/4 cup each wash so it lasts just as many loads as the normal stuff.

3. Front load washers have a watertight seal around the door. If they didn't, they'd leak all over the floor. This means you have to leave the door open when the washer is not in use, or else mold and mildew will start to grow inside and make your clothes smell funky. The manual for mine recommends running the washer empty with a bleach solution every 6 months or so to keep it clean.

4. Front loaders use a lot less water and a lot less energy than top-loaders. I couldn't compare energy bills directly, since we also moved when we got the new washer/dryer, but my 1000 sq ft townhouse had an average electric bill of $65 a month (no heat/a.c.) and my 1800 sq ft house has an average electric bill of $55 a month (no heat/a.c.). If that keeps up, it means I'm saving $120 a year, so the extra cost of a front loader pays for itself pretty quickly.

To address some things raised by others:
                        1. Every washer, regardless of type will do a poor job washing and rinsing if overfilled.
                        2. I haven't noticed washes taking longer with the front loader versus my old top loader.
                        On HE Detergent, ti varies from brand to brand. Our Bosch does not require it, and I believe a few others don't. Also about the seal and mold: I've never heard or read that, though I do know its an issue for some front loader Maytags.

Comment

I just read a bunch of mold complaints on Epinions. Some people say "after leaving my wet clothes in the washer, overnight, after, a week, etc...they smell like mold!" Dumbasses.

Thanks for the useful info so far. Keep it comin...

Comment

The noise is most likely a bad bearing. It's actually pretty easy to change and a lot cheaper than a new dryer. A big appliance like that should last 20 years.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

We have a couple of places here that refurb & sell used washers & dryers. I paid $300 for a matched Whirlpool heavy duty set, delivered & installed with a warranty. No problems so far (6 or 7 years), clothes get clean and dry quick. Our washer & dryer are in the garage, and I don't care about impressing anybody with my appliances. I had a front-loader years ago. It did a great job & used less water, but it did have balance & noise issues toward the end when we decided to ditch it, and iirc it took quite a bit longer per load than a top-loader. It was older technology, though. Maybe all the kinks are worked out now.

Comment

Working...
                              X