No announcement yet.

Washer and Dryer recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to go the repair route first. I've been told it's probably a belt, bearing, or rollers.

Comment

Repairs can be costly dependant on the parts needed. I had a washer that crapped out under extended warranty. The transmission went bad which was covered but the labor wasnt. The guy wanted 150.00 to install the transmission. I told the warranty company to send me the part and I would do it. I got the part and the invoice showed the cost to be like 358.00 or so. I called them back and said I would gladly send them back the part and they could cut me a check. I planned on just buying a new washer but they said no. I fixed the thing and it only lasted two more years.

Comment

Looks like it's gonna cost $150 to fix the dryer, all parts and labor included. Repairman said it's fine to use, it'll just be noisy in the meantime. Parts will arrive in 5 days.

I was researching dryers and the exact dimensions and it'll be a VERY tight squeeze for me based on my laundry room so I'm happy to have to rush into a decision right now. The repairman said the dryer is otherwise fine. It's the belt and rollers that need replacing.

Comment

Belts and rollers are designed to wear out.
          If you really felt like it, you could actually do the repair yourself.
          Not hard at all. That $150 is for $40 in parts and the rest is labor.
          -Rick

Comment

Yep. I've never done one, but my dad did the belt & rollers on his a couple of times & got almost 30 years out of it.

Comment

I know the repair is pretty simple, but I have a job, wife, 3 kids, and very little free time. I'd rather pay someone to do it and not have to mess with it myself.

Comment

I'm in the same boat these days myself. I used to have time to do all my own basic car maintenance & just about anything around the house, but those days are long gone. I'm still holding out & doing my own yard work for now, but that's about it. That's kind of like therapy for me.

Comment

It's just taking off the back of the dryer to see a big belt. How do you know the belt is shot? Maybe the pullies are gunked up. If I were me, I would just spray the same stuff on the pullies and belts like they have for cars. And maybe tighten the belt tensor. What do I know? I don't do laundry.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I have to fix everything I own. Have to! I can't trust anyone else to do it to the sphincter tight specifications and standards I operate under. Ok, I had a shop do the alignment on the cars. That is it. I rebuild the engine, tranny/transaxle, rear end, electrical system and do everything up to paint on our cars (and my bike). I prefer the computer work I am now in, but I am glad to have the job experiences I have collected. I am a home repair polymath.

The wife loves the fact that I do not call for help, if there is a problem I take care of it myself. She breaks crap, and I fix it. The perfect relationship!

We have always used Kenmore Model 80 dryers and top load washers. Our first set lasted 17 years (with repairs by me), and the second set is going on five years with only the washer needing the coupler replaced (daughter overloaded washer during basic training). That was a 12.00 repair. The mother in law used Kenmore, and so did my Mom. Reliable and they get the job done for a good price.

Comment

Just figured out what that awful howling sound was while our 13 year old Whirlpool top loader filling was. Water intake valve, the rubber seal is eaten away.
                      We're on "city water", and the only problem I've seen with it is that it constantly eats away rubber (or is it neoprene) toilet flappers and various other like components in faucets, and now the washing machine.
                      23.95, and it's fixed, for now. I was ready to buy another washing machine, to not have to mess with it, but now she thinks I'm a hero, again.

Comment

Yep, just like Scotty used to say "you have to exaggerate your repairs or how else will you keep your reputation as a miracle worker"?
                        Remember, Wherever you go,.. there you are

Comment

Originally posted by Ripley7t View Post
                          Yep, just like Scotty used to say "you have to exaggerate your repairs or how else will you keep your reputation as a miracle worker"?
                          Naturally! I had every single piece of sheet metal removed, that I did'nt need to, of course, just to figure out it was right there, at the top, in the back.
                          Dang near pulled the drum for melodrama.

Comment

Another vote for Kenmore - we got a washer/dryer combo as a wedding gift. The washer/dryer, and the marriage, are still going strong after 17 years
                            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

i repaired my gas dryer for under a $100. the motor wore out, so i replaced that, belt, and the guides and the wheels the drum rolls on. if i can do it, trust me you can too!
                              ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Working...
                              X