No announcement yet.

For car fiends: footage of the current production car record lap at the 'ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For car fiends: footage of the current production car record lap at the 'ring

It's 50 years since Fangio won his fifth world championship by staging an awesome comeback to win at the 'ring. As Pagani was friends with Fangio, he decided he take a standard Zonda F (a donated customer's car!) and break the production car lap record at the 'ring to commemorate it. Here's complete in-car footage of the lap that beat the Porsche Carrera GT's record:

http://www.7-28.net

Click "watch video" and then episode 5.

It reminds me of my laps of the 'ring in mid-engined cars. Fast-forwarded, of course, in comparison to the laps in my 240bhp MR2 Turbo... and at warp speed in comparison to the laps I did in a rented 80bhp Smart Roadster Coupe. :ROTF:

The Zonda is THE car. Quite possibly the best car ever made. They sound UNREAL!

**edit**

Listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiroepFi1fw
    Last edited by Thrust; 11-25-2007, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Meh, sounds like my bike.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I love the Zonda F and the R version is just the sexiest thing ever made.

I actually know the guy that helped design it: Anthony Kumpen. He's from my hometown and my mother used to date the chief technical engineer of his racing team. I always got pit and VIP passes. Even got to be in the GLPK Viper. Not too much a fan of the corvette, but I'm definitly going to check with him if I can ever see this sexy beast in real life.

Zonda F is far from the best car ever made though. Aerodynamically it's not exactly great, but it looks absolutely stunning. The interior is probably the most beautiful interior ever made as well. It is by far my favorite supercar, but the best car ever made, and probably the best car that ever will be made, period, is the Bugatti Veyron.
        Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 11-28-2007, 05:44 AM.
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
          I love the Zonda F and the R version is just the sexiest thing ever made.

I actually know the guy that helped design it: Anthony Kumpen. He's from my hometown and my mother used to date the chief technical engineer of his racing team. I always got pit and VIP passes. Even got to be in the GLPK Viper. Not too much a fan of the corvette, but I'm definitly going to check with him if I can ever see this sexy beast in real life.

Zonda F is far from the best car ever made though. Aerodynamically it's not exactly great, but it looks absolutely stunning. The interior is probably the most beautiful interior ever made as well. It is by far my favorite supercar, but the best car ever made, and probably the best car that ever will be made, period, is the Bugatti Veyron.

Ah, but the Veyron is SOOOO ugly I recall about 10 years ago when the McLaren F1 was supposed to be the best possible car to ever be built.

As far as exotics go, however, the Lamborghini Countach still has the timeless design that screams exotic.

Comment

The Veyron makes all other cars obsolete. Its not just the top speed that makes it so special. The McLaren was just about top speed and thats why it aint special anymore..........

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2 View Post
              The Veyron makes all other cars obsolete. Its not just the top speed that makes it so special. The McLaren was just about top speed and thats why it aint special anymore..........
              Exactly. It does 250+ mph at controllable ease, it's very comfortable, insanely easy to drive, it's got AC, radio, it doesn't break down every 30 miles, etc...

There's nothing else in its league, even on the same continent as the Veyron.
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Veyron is ugly.

Comment

I went to the Tokyo motor show a couple of years ago and was pretty underwhelmed by the Bugatti. Entertainingly every other manufacturer would give you a brochure: Ferrari, Lamborghini, etcetera. The people at Bugatti just shook their heads at me.

The best thing about it was seeing top-drawer cars in white. The Japanese love white cars:

Not that I'd ever buy a car in white. Here it would turn the colour of mud in about an hour.

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                  Meh, sounds like my bike.
                  If your bike sounds like it has a 6 litre (or 7.3 litre) V12 then either: (a) your coolness rating has just been raised to 11; or (b) your bike's engine is badly broken.
                  Last edited by ken; 11-29-2007, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X