No TIPS for you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Argos View Post
    Have you guys ever served? It might change your perspective on tipping. I'll tip 10% even if the service was not so great. Usually 20% minimum. Everyone has bad days, I know I gave some shitty service a few times when I served for whatever reason. And often getting or not getting your food isn't up to the server.
    I was a bus boy, a host and waiter for two years. Ignoring a customers request is pure BS. Serving your customer is your JOB.
    "Having a bad day" is no excuse for not at least trying to do your job well.

I can tell when someone is truly have a bad day vs. just being a lazy fuck.
    I'll even cut some slack if the place is packed, but under "normal" conditions, I expect "good" service.

I worked with one of the best. A guy named Shawn Barber... the guy never used paper or pen, knew the menu inside and out, could remember everyones name at the table, even if they switched places, and ALWAYS provided service with a smile... even when he was "having a bad day".
    Even on a slow night he would manage to bring home at least a $100 in tips.

It's about taking pride in the job you are doing. Even if it's a sucky job.
    -Rick

Comment

if morons stiff me on the service, they get stiffed on the tip.

too bad, that's the way life is.

I stiffed a loser waitress last year on a $150 dinner bill because she was a thoughtless turd. I tipped her exactly what she earned, zero.
      the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I was just commenting, not saying that you guys were wrong in particular situations. You guys are so touchy!

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
          This conversation made me think of this....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Love that movie.
          +1 :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            Huh?
            Who are you referring to?
            Did you read the above posts, or are you jumping to conclusions?
            Take a chill pill dude

He was referring to all of us

You are the one jumping

BTW I tip 15 for good service, 20-25 for great.

Luckily I haven't experienced too many bad...er...experiences
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Honestly, I've only experienced what I would consider "bad" service once or twice in my life. By my definition, "bad" = the server intentionally ignoring or neglecting the customer.

However, sometimes your experience while dining out will suck for reasons that are beyond the server's control. ex. The place is super busy and the cooks in the kitchen can't keep up. Waiting forever to be seated or, once seated, to get your meal usually isn't the waiter/waitress's fault - it's the kitchen's. In those types of situations, IMHO it's not fair to ding the server's tip. They're doing the best that they can in a bad situation.

In that type of sitch, I'll either make a slight comment to or flat out complain to the server, depending on how bad it was. What the server should then do is report the complaint to the kitchen and/or owner. Oftentimes, the kitchen or owner will then knock something off the bill or give you some kind of freebee for use later, all to keep you a satisfied returning customer. If the kitchen or owner blows it off, then they no longer get my business.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                Everyone has bad days, I know I gave some shitty service a few times when I served for whatever reason.

Wheww, glad my airline pilot wasn't having a bad day a few weeks back. Nor, my surgeon...hmm....or you get the point

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                  I find it bizarre that I'm expected to give tips for normal service. To me the point of a tip is to reward someone for going above and beyond what is expected of them.
                  Don't servers get paid less than minimum wage and rely on tips for real money?
                  -Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Thrust View Post
                    Wheww, glad my airline pilot wasn't having a bad day a few weeks back. Nor, my surgeon...hmm....or you get the point
                    airline pilot decides to mess up, he's literally the first one to face the consequence. A surgeon messes up, he finds himself tangled in a messy law-suit most of the times. A ignorant waiter just does not get a tip. You are comparing a giant orange to a tiny orange. :ROTF::ROTF:
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by anuske9 View Post
                      Yes... they do make less than the minimum wage.
                      They get paid jack shit in most cases.
                      Servers depend on tips for income. The job is a perfect example of "pay for performance".
                      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by anuske9 View Post
                        Yes. Unless you're at a higher end place, most servers are lucky to end a shift with $30, because people tip like shit. How would you like to bust your ass for six hours and not even have enough money to put some gas in your car? I don't need the extra $5 that much. Tipping only for "going beyond the call of duty" in this country is nothing more than being a tightwad. I know plenty of great servers who end up making mediocre money because some jerk-off thinks that 10% is a great tip.

I'm not saying you shouldn't knock them for being a flat out sucky server, though.

Comment

I've been living on tips for 19 years so if I get good service they get a good tip if I get poor service I'll ask a few questions or just look around to see if my server is slacking off or if I see something like the mgr running food or popping his head out of the kitchen because he's the cook for the night. you learn & see alot when your in the Biz as they say it's no different from resteraunts , or bars if the bartender is slacking with the waitresess it's not their fault if you see a service bartender slinging drinks & then 4 out like 7 waitresess are slacking or talking to customers it's the girls, not the bar .I've been in both situations & worked both situations. All around it sucks , but when the staff is slacking then it's a problem & theres my 2 cents
                          According To The Prophecy

Comment

Since my wife does all the cooking..I tip her.

with my pud!!!
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Seriously, if the service or person is lame so will the tip

If I get good service, especially from a bubble butted cutie that smiles alot..I tend to be more generous.

That's unfair, because dudes prolly get tipped much less than girls..that's my assuption.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                                That's unfair, because dudes prolly get tipped much less than girls..that's my assuption.
                                Well, to be fair, you could tip them with your pud too.
                                "POOP"

Comment

Working...
                                X