No announcement yet.

R.I.P Evel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember the 'ol days when, in my mind, he was bigger than life. The unifrom... the jumps... the action figures.... I idolized him.
    Sad day indeed.

RIP Master.
    Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

RIP Evel. I don't think we'll see that kind of hero again. Back then, there were only 3 or 4 channels on TV, and not so many gossip hounds digging up personal dirt on celebrities. I remember on a Saturday everybody in the country could watch Evel do a jump or see an Ali fight. No pay-per-view BS. I think that helped bring people together, sharing stuff like that.

Comment

I worshipped this guy when I was a kid. For a few years, buying Christmas presents for me was easy - Evel Knievel ANYTHING.

Also spent a lot of time in the air doing jumps with my bike. We had a paved driveway with a nice slope to it - get to the bottom of of the slope, and a with a nice sized ramp, I would catch serious air. By the time I outgrew that phase, my bike was a piece of sh*t! Those banana seaters just weren't meant for that.

R.I.P., Mr. Knievel.

- E.
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

R.i.p.
          >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            RIP Evel. I don't think we'll see that kind of hero again. Back then, there were only 3 or 4 channels on TV, and not so many gossip hounds digging up personal dirt on celebrities.
            Celebrity gossip is such bullshit. Didn't Evel go to prison for beating the shit out of a reporter who was trashing him. I think he used a baseball bat. More celebrities should have that kind of guts. Evel was the fucking man!

Comment

The man was bad-ass traped in a body. Just think of how many times he was slammed into concrete or something else, and it still didn't knock it out of him.

RIP
              The Buzzard does not fear
              The man in riot gear
              Harvest a skull of stone
              The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

The wife just told me, and I was online so I thought I would see if anyone here was talking about it. I was born in '59, and I grew up hanging on every word about him. I rode my first minibike at 6, and owned my first dirt bike at 10. I jumped the minibike over our station wagon when I was 9. It was parked next to an embankment, so I launched over it. The launch went fine, and the landing was a two point one. But I went one way, and the minibike went another after the initial landing. Luckily I only suffered a few bruises and scrapes as it was a dirt landing, and the minibike had a few more scrapes added to it. The station wagon came out of it without a scrape, which was good for my ass!

My Mom chewed me out for trying to be like Evel Knievel, but she thought my landing was enough punishment. While growing up, I believe that he made me think more about riding a motorcycle than anyone else. He was the star of the motorcycle jump at the time, and he just looked cool to this kid. Taking the baseball bat to the guy that was trashing him in the press sealed it for me. I think he felt the time spent was worth it.The press sure gave him a wide berth afterward...lol

RIP Evel

Comment

I just saw this! Jesus, I loved watching this guy, it was a little past my time, but I remember seeing old tv shows on satellite and loving it! I had a bunch of the Evel toys and the fall guy toys! I used to do jumps on my bike as well because of his influence! At least he had a long career, which is strange because he should have died 10 times over by now with all the crashes he had and near misses, maybe he had 12 lives?

anyhow R.I.P. EK! you will be missed!

R.I.P. Cleo
                  R.I.P. Dime

Comment

he seperated the men from the boys. i got to laugh at guys that think they are bad ass ie: movie stars, rappers, ball players, etc... who pale to his guts and swagger. few in the entertainment biz lived life with no fear like him.

RIP
                    ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Evel was a real-life super hero for me & so many of us that grew up in the 70's.

Hell...he wore a cape. Who else could?

He was the real deal. There will never be another like him.

Comment

Count me in...
                        My buddies and I set up a nice ramp in my front yard. It
                        was two 4x8 sheets of some thick plywood, strung together,
                        but it had enough flex in the center to give a nice launch.
                        I would hit that ramp so fast I was airborne before I hit
                        the end of the ramp...Jumped my brother's Cutlass 88 sideways with a 3 speed girl's Schwinn. (Girl's bikes made better stunt bikes).
                        One day my best buddy from up the street, after doing as many jumps as me, just chickened out at the ramp entry. He decided to try to stop by doing a side-skid, but the tires caught and flipped the bicycle over, literally throwing him into where the end of the ramp was planted. There was a cinder bock there, and he smacked his knee into it. Could have been his noggin...he never jumped again after that.
                        I turned that banana seat schwinn into a full blown chopper, with straight chrome forks and a tiny wheel on the front. Oh, yeah, apehangers and a super tall death-head sissy bar, too. Grabber yellow. I thought I was badass until I got into motorcycles!
                        Evel was balls out the greatest..RIP.

Comment

Damn, truly one of my heros. A REAL person, warts, balls, and all. RIP Evel.
                          When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

I shall put a ramp out of the window on the top floor and send his effigy on his bike out of the window in homage.
                            Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

R.i.p
                              Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                              Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

There goes another of my boyhood heroes.
                                One thing's for sure - he's not going through those pearly gates, he's going over them!

Comment

Working...
                                X