Vision Loss while practising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision Loss while practising?

I've experienced this problem for many years.
    When I'm practicing, after about an hour, my
    vision goes blurry. I know, I'm going to get
    plenty of wanking comments.
    But I have noticed this ever since I started
    playing, in my teens. I've tried playing, then
    focusing on something else, walking away, then
    going back, but I swear it isn't a problem with my
    eyes.
    I'm not the kind of player that stares at the
    fingerboard, either. I've thought of that. It's not
    real serious, but it begs the question...anyone else
    ever had this happen?
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 12-02-2007, 12:34 AM.

Are you relaxing your eyes? Are you consciously aware of the muscles in your eyes tensing to allow you to focus? It could be that you're zoning out for a bit, thus relaxing your "focus muscles".

Given the fact that the nervous system connects everything in the body, more concentration on one muscle/nerve group (hand/finger movement) may be diverting subconscious impulses from others (retinal focus).

It's also why guitarists drool when playing
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Maybe try playing in front of a mirror to see what you're doing

Comment

If he's having blurred vision, I doubt he'd see what the problem is by looking in the mirror.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Maybe you should turn the volume down from 11 to 5? :ROTF:

Seriously, that is kind of odd to have happen. I would be more worried if it just started happening, but since it has been happening for so long I would not think it is bad for your eyes themselves.

It's also why guitarists drool when playing
          Yup, concentration can do that...lol! But it is handy when the drummer does that too. Just make sure it is evenly coming out of both sides of his mouth.

That way you know that the stage is level.

Comment

ur eyes are probably tired where ur concentrating a lot on what all ur hands are doing plus looking at tab etc

Comment

This is ALMOST as weird as my Dental Floss thread.
              "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                ur eyes are probably tired where ur concentrating a lot on what all ur hands are doing plus looking at tab etc
                I should have written "noodling", but that is way too close to "wanking".
                I'm not reading music when this happens. I like the "detached brain cell" theory better. Yesterday, I tried playing a bit, then reading the forum some,
                then playing again, to keep my eyes busy. It didn't work, I still blurred up.
                I don't play very loud, garage level. So that's not it.
                I'll have to search "dental floss"....

Comment

My right eye becomes blurry too sometimes when playing. Strange.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDoug View Post
                    Yup, concentration can do that...lol! But it is handy when the drummer does that too. Just make sure it is evenly coming out of both sides of his mouth.

That way you know that the stage is level.

Comment

the lower part of my field of vision goes blurry when i play too much tennis.........
                      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

check your blood pressure before and then during your practicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashtego View Post
                          check your blood pressure before and then during your practicing.
                          Also your sugar. Both can affect vision in different ways.

Comment

I have the same problem,too. My vision goes a little blurry after a while of practice. I guess it happens to some of us, and not happens to the rest.
                            I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

that is wierd, usually when I play I dont really pay attention to what I'm playing, as long as it sounds about right, its all good! lol
                              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Working...
                              X