Guess her age...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
    you missed the joke. The American asks if the Brit has come here to die, commenting on the deathwish he appears to exhibit by driving on the wrong side of the road. The Brit apparently hears the American's "to die" as "today", and responds that he arrived yesterday. Not too hard to understand. You are a native English speaker, aren't you?

Norton isn't.
    oh no i got the joke fine, the point i'm making is that it doesn't work if an american says it. because an american *typically* (i don't know every accent's ins and outs obv) wouldn't pronounce today like to die, but a *typical* australian most definately would. if an australian said it, you could understand why an english person would think what sounded like to die was them saying today...hence why the joke would be funny....if it was an australian instead of an american - it's the standard cliched australian accent.
    Last edited by sonicsamurai; 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

sonicsamurai,

The american pronounces to die, just like any american ; as "to die"

It's all about the brit(or the aussie) guy.He gets it wrong.The "error"s not with the American,it's with the Brit/Aussie guy
      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

goddamit lol I KNOW THAT!!! THAT'S NOT WHAT I'M SAYING!! lol jeeeeesus lol

what i've been explaining Norton, is that for it to work as a joke the reader would understand it better if it was an australian saying 'to die', as the reader would understand that the brit would hear it as today because he thinks thats what the australian is saying - everyone knows the cliche of an australian accent, and how an australian could pronounce 'to die' and 'today' the same and thus cause the brit to respond as he did...

.....hence it makes better sense, and the joke is 'got' quicker. rather than going 'whuh? how would a brit (or indeed anyone) misinterpret an american saying 'to die' as him saying 'today'?...

that has been my point all along. I hope i've explained it in a better way....
        Last edited by sonicsamurai; 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Come on, guys... don't over-analyze it. It's a joke.

Can't we all just get along?

Comment

+1 Its a funny joke. End of story!!
            Sam

Comment

this thread -->
              ----------------

Two married buddies are out drinking one night when one turns to the other and says, "You know, I don't know what else to do. Whenever I go home after we've been out drinking, I turn the headlights off before I get to the driveway. I shut off the engine and coast into the garage. I take my shoes off before I go into the house, I sneak up the stairs, I get undressed in the bathroom. I ease into bed and my wife STILL wakes up and yells at me for staying out so late!"

His buddy looks at him and says, "Well, you're obviously taking the wrong approach. I screech into the driveway, slam the door, storm up the steps, throw my shoes into the closet, jump into bed, rub my hands on my wife's ass and say, 'How about a blowjob?' ....And she's always sound asleep."
              You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

MY favorite is the "guess her age" one, that was friggin funny
                Check my bands!
                www.myspace.com/magicktr
                www.myspace.com/sinif64
                www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Working...
                X