Things are heating up in the Southeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things are heating up in the Southeast

Well it's December and we hit 80 today, for the first time EVAR in Charlotte. We'll hit 80 again tomorrow, crushing records that go back to the 1800's by almost eight degrees. Temperatures keep rising, and water levels keep falling.

I'm with you, Axe. Maybe the Mayor of Charlotte will take a cue from the Gov of Georgia, and follow decades of rampant, unchecked growth combined with lack of focus on infrastructure with the obvious policy solution. Of course, I think we can all sleep easier knowing that FEMA undoubtedly has a kick ass plan to save our asses if Atlanta, Charlotte, or any of the other major metropolitan areas of the southeast runs out of water.

I would put a smiley after that sentence if it were actually funny.
    "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Marcus, what is the Georgia gov up to? I haven't been following the Georgia local news lately.

+1 on that lack of infrastructure comment

Comment

must be nice we got hit with an ice storm, I was without power for a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
          Marcus, what is the Georgia gov up to? I haven't been following the Georgia local news lately.

+1 on that lack of infrastructure comment
          I was talking about this:

"It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
            must be nice we got hit with an ice storm, I was without power for a day.
            +1

I'm thinking I may need to move somewhere to take advantage of this global warming thing, because climate change seems to be passing us by here in the midwest.

This December has been the coldest I can remember in a long time. We've already had 3 snow/ice storms, and yet another nasty one in progress today.

Comment

We, in the Northwest, tend to whine alot. Yeah, we had a flood a week ago. But with ice storms and what else is going on, I consider myself lucky. Be safe.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                Wow. Prayer makes a good "Plan B" I suppose, but personally I'd like to see my elected officials put a little more effort into the "Plan A".

Comment

Our understanding of the climate in the US isn't even 150 years old. That is not even a day in the life of. We have no idea what the very longterm patterns are. Now, the Southeast is running out of water. Is this just a blip? Will we get back to "Normal" as we know it? That is trully anyone's guess.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                    Our understanding of the climate in the US isn't even 150 years old. That is not even a day in the life of. We have no idea what the very longterm patterns are. Now, the Southeast is running out of water. Is this just a blip? Will we get back to "Normal" as we know it? That is trully anyone's guess.
                    I've been saying this for awhile now. Agreed

Comment

Wow. Prayer makes a good "Plan B" I suppose, but personally I'd like to see my elected officials put a little more effort into the "Plan A".
                      My point exactly. The weather is really nice here again today, but I don't think anybody would bitch if we had an ice storm, the drought is so bad. I heard today that Durham has an estimated 50 days of water left in its reservoirs.

Comment

Our tracking of regional microclimates only goes back 150 years, sure. But that doesn't mean we should reduce the entire science of climatology to guesswork, it's about a lot more than tracking daily highs and lows. We can track general temperature changes and C02 concentrations going back thousands of years, and this data is used to form the basis of the global warming theories of today. 43% of the continental US in in moderate to severe drought, the Southeast is running out of water in an unprecedented multi-year drought, Southern California is literally burning due to drought conditions and unusually high average temperatures. The glaciers are melting, and oil companies have even started to like the idea of global warming because exploration in the arctic ocean is now much easier due to melting ice. You guys can fiddle while Rome burns if you want, but I've seen enough evidence to convince me of what's going on.

Comment

Our understanding of the climate in the US isn't even 150 years old.
                          Actually...ice core data gives us a good indication of CO2 levels as well as temperature levels going back more than 400,000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
                            The glaciers are melting, and oil companies have even started to like the idea of global warming because exploration in the arctic ocean is now much easier due to melting ice.
                            +1....The Russians are putting up big money speculating on these new oil fields that you mention. Funny, I don't see anyone putting up big money speculating that things are going to cool off. How does that old saying about money and bullshit go?

Comment

Actually...ice core data gives us a good indication of CO2 levels as well as temperature levels going back more than 400,000 years.
                              This was exactly the data I was referring too.

Comment

Working...
                              X