Things are heating up in the Southeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
    That's the scary thing about GW....free capitalism doesn't contain any forces to counteract it.
    I think this is the money quote, right here. Capitalism is very good at producing goods and concentrating wealth. Protecting the environment, the good of the common man, nah, not so much. The free hand of the market always seems to push the chips to the same side of the table, if you ask me.
    "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
      Tread softly. Dig D.
      Yep, sorry. I'm feeling particularly non-spiritual lately due to some personal stuff going on.

And like I said, I wouldn't blame god (whoever that might be) for being pissed off about the way we've treated the planet. I'm no tree hugger, but no matter where you live you don't have to look far to see at least one environmental disgrace brought about because of our greed and stupidity.
      Last edited by Big D; 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't blame god (whoever that might be) for being pissed off about the way we've treated the planet. I'm no tree hugger, but no matter where you live you don't have to look far to see at least one environmental disgrace brought about because of our greed and stupidity.[/quote]

+100

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          I think this is the money quote, right here. Capitalism is very good at producing goods and concentrating wealth. Protecting the environment, the good of the common man, nah, not so much. The free hand of the market always seems to push the chips to the same side of the table, if you ask me.
          Corporations are beholden to the market, the shareholders, the employees, the community, competition, consumers, regulation, and many other variables.
          Look at all the "invincible" giants that have fallen...Bethlehem Steel is a famous example. So, the chips can fall many ways. I know our steel mills are extremely touchy about environmental and safety. Why? Because of the fallout of those giants that have fallen, for one. EPA compliance is a joke.
          We do much better in partnership with the industry on how to capture our wastes, and recycle them to our advantage. Same with safety. We save much more money by proactive safety measures than what OSHA would
          enforce.
          But one steelworker fatality, or one incident of accidental environmental
          damage, brings the industry under a microscope again, and the tragedy would be portrayed as normal operating procedure by the press and eaten up by a gullible public. Same BS brought down the nuclear industry in this country.

Comment

Cyg, What's not to get? We are not an industrial nation anymore. We are a service oriented consumer nation. We don't care about those few remaining people that actually make things. But when a few get killed making us so fucking insulated from the real world, we get all media upset for a few days. This whole thing sucks.
            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I am yet to be convinced that US corporations are beholden to their shareholders, or the public at large (which grants their charters) in any meaningful way.
              "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

I guess we're getting too fired up over this gw business. That other gw thread got blown away!

So....how's about those Patriots?!?

Comment

Go pats!

Comment

It's real... it's going to hurt a lot of people. Just today there was an article in the NYT about duck hunters crying about their season and how the ducks have changed when they migrate. These clods are trying to decide if it's a temporary cycle or a more permanent change... 5 years into the trend.

I guess it's gotta smack you in the face, breaking something you love before you even start to consider the truth.

Weeeee politics. (jams pencil in ear)

Comment

I am no damn tree hugger but I know something is not right. I was a chemistry nut in high school and college, and I know enough about closed loop cycles to know we live in one on our planet. We are converting massive amounts of earth carbon into atmospheric and oceanic carbon. Carbon levels in our oceans are causing massive kill zones off of the Oregon coast, nobody here doubts that a bit as we have seen the evidence first hand.

I liken it to hamsters living in their cage. They can keep fouling it up, but if someone does not come along and clean it up they are going to be in a world of hurt one day. IMO, one day this planet is going to shake us off like a bad habit if we don't get our shit straight.

There is no such thing as a free lunch. We can't keep burning and releasing carbon endlessly without something giving out some day. Carbon is one of the most plentiful substances on this planet, but it has been locked away in the earth. We are letting it loose in massive quantities, and I think the planet does not appreciate it one bit.

I used to disagree vehemently with the GW crowd, but not any more.

Comment

Why did the other GW thread get wacked? I don't recall seeing anything nasty.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksoncsplayer View Post
                          Why did the other GW thread get wacked? I don't recall seeing anything nasty.
                          Yeah I thought all the posts over there were very respectful. Maybe a bit too political for the JCF? Dunno.

Comment

Check it out. I found my original thread from 2006.:ROTF: Let's see where this goes.
                            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                              Yeah I thought all the posts over there were very respectful. Maybe a bit too political for the JCF? Dunno.
                              The Oprah thread seems much more political than the other GW thread, though. I didn't see anything too out of whack in that thread either.

Comment

Working...
                              X