Christmas gifts?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas gifts?!

Ok, I know we all run into this problem. I don't know what to get anyone for Christmas. The family gets together and does the gift thing, and it just about the most awkward mess I've ever experienced. So, what are you getting your family?

Cash works.They seem offended at first but when you explain that its the most useful gift you could think of.Who doesn't like cash?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Well, I'm a college student, so, unless they all want one dollar, I'm out on that one...

Comment

I see your point.Give them each one of your old textbooks and tell them you are giving the gift of knowledge.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          I see your point.Give them each one of your old textbooks and tell them you are giving the gift of knowledge.
          You are a genius!
          Well, now that my xmas shopping is done...

Uh, I'm getting my folks one of those programmable picture frames... alittle pricey, but a decent idea.

Comment

Gift cards work for me. I hit one rack of them at the store and my shopping is done.
            -Rick

Comment

Going out and just buying something random is next to useless. Definitely avoid decorative stuff, unless it's something you know for sure they're into. The worst thing ever is getting a porcelain gnome (or something similarly horrid), and not knowing where to put it. It will ultimately end up in a box somewhere.

Try to give people something personalized, that connect to them somehow. It shows them that you care for them - or at least that they have been in your thoughts. I'd say a personalized card is better than any other randomly chosen item. And whatever you do, stear clear of the gnomes.

My GF and I have been really low on cash the last couple of years, so we craft most of our gifts. We've been up late at night sewing stuffed toys, and making mosaic tile pads (for putting hot kettles on). The neat thing with that, is that you can customize each gift. For instance; This year, my GF's brother and his wife will get a mosaic pad with a picture of their farmhouse. Another relative will get a stuffed plushie of her favourite cartoon character. Gifts like those are virtually guaranteed to be well recieved. On the minus side; crafting takes a lot of time, and we've had to take time off of tv, films and computer gaming.

Comment

I have niece, nephews, 7, 4 and 2 years old, I'm getting them Dunkin Donuts gift cards!!!!

The best part will be my sisters reaction haha!
                Last edited by tanpsi; 12-16-2007, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                  Going out and just buying something random is next to useless. Definitely avoid decorative stuff, unless it's something you know for sure they're into. The worst thing ever is getting a porcelain gnome (or something similarly horrid), and not knowing where to put it. It will ultimately end up in a box somewhere.

Try to give people something personalized, that connect to them somehow. It shows them that you care for them - or at least that they have been in your thoughts. I'd say a personalized card is better than any other randomly chosen item. And whatever you do, stear clear of the gnomes.

My GF and I have been really low on cash the last couple of years, so we craft most of our gifts. We've been up late at night sewing stuffed toys, and making mosaic tile pads (for putting hot kettles on). The neat thing with that, is that you can customize each gift. For instance; This year, my GF's brother and his wife will get a mosaic pad with a picture of their farmhouse. Another relative will get a stuffed plushie of her favourite cartoon character. Gifts like those are virtually guaranteed to be well recieved. On the minus side; crafting takes a lot of time, and we've had to take time off of tv, films and computer gaming.

really really good idea man! im a bit strapped for cash so im going to steal this idea from you
                  Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
                  Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Damn now I have to go return these gnomes I bought...

Comment

all i know is my wife went out shopping, so i took the time to wrap the gifts i bought her and i put them under the tree. i went to bed before she got back, but the next thing i know i'm awaken by the sweet music of her paying on my skin flute. she must have seen the Coach bag i left out that the new purse came in. i think i'll save that bag and let it lay around when it is her birthday in March!
                      ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Mom and Dad are easy. They just want me to load all their CD changers with music that they don't know about and that I know that they will like. They have everything that anyone could ever want and they know that they are hard to shop for. So, the little bits of change out of their comfort zone makes them happy.

The Nephews, since they are young, I give them something that launches, makes noise, or makes their land/speed increase.

Beyond that, I buy all the liquor for the holidays as my contribution to the spirt of christmas. I end up not drinking and watch the fiasco unfold.

I have niece, nephews, 7, 4 and 2 years old, I'm getting them Dunkin Donuts gift cards!!!!
                        Awesome! Hahaha
                        Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

"So, what are you getting your family?"

I'm gonna share a little trick with ya. Piss off all family members in November and early December. That way you don't have to buy anything. When January rolls around, make up with them.
                          "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by SEEGERMANY View Post
                            "So, what are you getting your family?"

I'm gonna share a little trick with ya. Piss off all family members in November and early December. That way you don't have to buy anything. When January rolls around, make up with them.
                            This is the best response I've ever seen. Hands down.

Comment

Working...
                            X