Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here know about the Desert Sessions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here know about the Desert Sessions?

I've been listening to alot of the Desert Sessions and their eventual turnouts (Queens of the Stone Age, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Hermano, etc) and I just want to know if anyone else out there does. I had a friend tell me about them and honestly think if he hadn't told me i would've never known, they are/were very underground. It's cool music to just chill out to, ya know?
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

a good friend is seriously into them and loaned me a couple of cds to check out. I just couldn't get into it. I was in a really aggressive metal phase at the time though. Maybe I need to revisit.

have you checked out the wiki entry? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Desert_Sessions
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I have heard of them but haven't listened to much except maybe a song or two. I know there's something like 10 volumes or cd's.

Which ones are worth checking out? Are some better than others?

Comment

I had a desert session once. I scoffed 15 creme caramels, then rubbed strawberry mousse all round my sweaty nutsack and had a dirty bitch (a tart?) lick it all off. I then rubbed Sorbet all over her tits (or was it Shobet?) before getting her saucy little friend to lap it off, culminating with me icing the pair of them with my special sauce.

Oh, hang on, that was a dessert session.

Carry on, sorry.

(Yet another successful hijack eh Cygnus? )
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by thebeggar View Post
          I have heard of them but haven't listened to much except maybe a song or two. I know there's something like 10 volumes or cd's.

Which ones are worth checking out? Are some better than others?
          Yeah, there are alot of 'em... Umm, I was just given some songs, namely A#1, Hanging Tree, Make it wit Chu and In my head... all coincidentally songs you can now hear by Queens of the Stone Age (minus A#1). I suggest volumes 9 + 10.

And well, it's no heavy metal but it's really well-composed and fun to listen to (and play along with!).

EDIT: You can now see why the later volumes are better: "The first Desert Session was not actually a "session" per se, but Homme and his band at the time (The Acquitted Felons) playing for three days straight under the non-stop influence of psychedelic mushrooms."
          Last edited by Szostak; 12-17-2007, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Hmm - I have roughly volumes 1-6, and while they're good, I don't listen that much. I much prefer the likes of Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Unida, etc. I love that stuff. After your comment, maybe I should check out volumes 9 & 10.
            "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

I haven't heard much of the desert sessions, but I always enjoyed listening to Kyuss, and I'm pretty much into stoner rock in general. However, my favourite is Orange Goblin from the other side of the pond. I guess you could say they are a little more metal sounding.
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                I haven't heard much of the desert sessions, but I always enjoyed listening to Kyuss, and I'm pretty much into stoner rock in general. However, my favourite is Orange Goblin from the other side of the pond. I guess you could say they are a little more metal sounding.
                Oh really, eh? I've heard people mention them but never gave 'em the light of day... i'll try them out

Comment

Originally posted by Szostak View Post
                  Oh really, eh? I've heard people mention them but never gave 'em the light of day... i'll try them out
                  Start with The Big Black.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have a buddy who's a big fan of all the groups mentioned and he has all the Desert Sessions. He's quite the avid indie and noise rock collector, much as I am a Metal collector. I like what I've heard, but it's nothing I'll go out of my way to acquire.
                    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

I enjoyed them. I'm a big QOTSA/Kyuss fan, and as soon as I heard about them, I got them all.

The first few are definitely not up to the snuff of the last ones, though. I love volumes 6 through 10.

Comment

Never heard of the Desert Sessions, but I'll have to check them out. I do like Kyuss and Fu Manchu.

Here's a couple cool sites for more Stoner Rock and Doom/Drone stuff.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Never heard of the Desert Sessions, but I'll have to check them out. I do like Kyuss and Fu Manchu.

Here's a couple cool sites for more Stoner Rock and Doom/Drone stuff.

http://www.southernlord.com/bands.php
                          Really cool sites, thanks

BTW, anyone listen to Josh Homme's (QOTSA, Kyuss) other band, Eagles of Death Metal? I just picked up Death by Sexy today, it's really good!

Comment

Haven't heard the new Eagles of Death Metal album, I might have to check it out. One band I've been listening to today is a band called sHeavy. Very early Black Sabbath sounding but maybe not as doomy. The lead vox is almost a clone of Ozzy at times, which definately is not a bad thing. Probably my fav stoner band at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                            X