• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
    Yngwie uses 8's, but his sets are hybrid: 8, 11, 14, 22, 32, 46

And interestingly enough, even with such light high strings, he tunes to Eb

See http://www.deanmarkley.com/Strings/E...msteenEl.shtml
    Am I the only one who thinks Malmsteen's tone is the worst part of his sound/playing/etc?

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
      Am I the only one who thinks Malmsteen's tone is the worst part of his sound/playing/etc?
      Nope. I often think the same thing of Paul Gilbert. Amazing player with tone that gets on my nerves.

Comment

I never break strings. I guess I must have a light fairy touch. :ROTF:

Due to this fact though, I only change my strings before a show. It seems such a waste to throw out perfectly good strings.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I use Rotosound yellow's 10-46 and labella regular 10-46 I prefer the roto's though don't know why...

For acoustic i'm now using Roto's bronze possibly phospher bronze 10-52....

I have tried ernie balls and they just seemed to die really fast the rotos and labellas seem to last much longer and I dont think I've broken a string using either of those brands......

And I was told once that theres two factories that make strings, I know dadarrio have their own factory Can't see them having time to make other strings aswell.

I also think rotosound also have their own as they claim to be made in the UK.

I think it's one of those guitar myths that isnt true....

Comment

What kind of strings do you use???

> To me,the brand isn't as important as the gauge. I tend to prefer 9-46,even though my Model 5 currently has 11-48 Power Slinkies on it because they were free. I typically use the 9-46 Blue Steel,but have had good results with SIT,Boomers,and Ernie Ball,and even a Peavey set I found for 3 bucks in a pawn shop. I don't like D'Addario's at ALL. Fender and Gibson strings might be for some,but my results with them sucked. Tommy D.
            "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
              The other day i went to the local store and his power was out, and i had $5 in my pockets... so i asked him what were the cheapest strings he got.

Don't ever use "MUSIC-8" strings, they are JUNK. Their tone sounds like junk, and they lose their tone after 3 or 4 days and then they sound even more like junk.
              Now im going to have to try these MUSIC-8 strings because im curious.

Originally posted by GryphonGuitar View Post
              D'Addario XL strings.

But I put an extra .11 in the bottom (I break 9s like rubber bands), so they're .11-.42.
              Same here.

Originally posted by Zombie View Post
              Dean Markley Blue Steel,

I always have for some reason... Don't know why, I just like em.

Zombie
              I've used these a few times, but they feel like razor wire to me.

99% of the time I use D'Addario XL 9's. I bought a bulk box (25 packs) of Xaviere strings from Guitarfetish about a year ago. The pack says that they're made using "USA String Wire", but on the back of the pack at the very bottom it's stamped "Made in Korea" in 6pt font. Deceptive marketing if you ask me. I use 'em if I run out of D'Addarios or if I'm setting up a new guitar and know I'll end up breaking strings during intonation and setup.

I have had them on my Predator for 2 days now and they're already starting to wear, but still sound pretty good. We'll see how they hold up after another week of playing.

-Steve
              Guitars:
              '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
              '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
              '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
              Amp:
              VOX AD30VT

Comment

Dean Markley Blue Steels (9-42).... I love em!
                Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Elixir polyweb 9-42's never turned back after switching to them a year or two ago.

Comment

moved from elixirs to D'Addario 9-42... what a change..
                    no more dead sound from their strings coated with crap
                    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Working...
                    X