Hammett learning a riff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BULLSHIT, samurai.

Hammett was not Metallica. The true metallica was Hetfield and Burton and definitly Lars for his arranging skills.

And I don't care how much you fiddle or squirm, Exodus or Possessed were nowhere NEAR Metallica during their one-two RTL and MOP punch (and subjectively, to me, they've never come anywhere near them).
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

It is critical not to confuse success with excellence. I think that applies for most things in life, but it certainly applies to music.

I was a big fan of Metallica up thru Master of Puppets, but I really never considered Kirk a top guitar play. He is good no doubt and James is (was) a very strong rhythm player. However, I have played with people and been in the same situation. Sometimes one person just doesn't get what the other person is doing and it takes time to work it out. So I don't think this video has much to do with his skill as a player.

Comment

How can a guy that played on RTL, MOP and AJFA not manage to play that shitty simplistic nu-metal riff? It's bizarre.
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

maybe hetfield recorded all the rythms?

Comment

Kirk is a great guy....

for me to poop on
            "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

i can't believe i'm going to stick up for the guy. hm. i dunno, i've always believed that if you can't hum it, you can't play it. it's pretty clear to me that he couldn't hear the riff or couldn't internalize it yet. maybe he was in the studio all freakin' day and was just spent. who knows? i've never liked metallica whatsoever, so i have no opinion of kirk one way or the other. but i'd bet that if any of you had a camera crew around you all the time, they'd pick up some footage of you playing poorly.

just sayin.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

no one with half a brain would waste time filming my playing Sully. I make Kirk on a bad day look like Petrucci on his best day.
                "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nuclear Vampire View Post
                  My old drummer used to come up with riffs...
                  My old drummer used to come up with songs, and watch all of us on strings struggle to play the uber technical nightmare that he could easily comprehend.

That being said, watching that kirk hammet video reminds me of when I was first learning to play. That's so basic that even a child should be able to play it.
                  The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                    BULLSHIT, samurai.

Hammett was not Metallica. The true metallica was Hetfield and Burton and definitly Lars for his arranging skills.
                    What do you mean?

Burton and Mustaine did most of the writing for Metallica when Kirk was still in Exodus. Even in Ride the Lightning, half of that material was written by Mustaine.

Comment

The saddest part of that video is the riff itself and how it epitomizes what Metallica has become. I chalk it up to the long term effects of alcoholism and the sober aftermath; poor sorry wet brains.

The camera doesn't help when you're struggling for whatever reason. If it were me, I might be struggling to concentrate because I'd be thinking, "Good grief, what the hell happened to James' song writing ability?! This is crap! It's as if my fingers refuse to play this! I want my wah-wah!" Ok that last part is what Kirk was thinking.

But, yes, Hetfield played all the rhythms on the albums, or so "they" say.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                        What do you mean?

Burton and Mustaine did most of the writing for Metallica when Kirk was still in Exodus. Even in Ride the Lightning, half of that material was written by Mustaine.
                        Xenophobe. I don't give a flying FUCK about your superiority complex towards the rest of this forum, which became apparent through manyof your past posts,but,..

What I was saying wasbasically 'don't write of metallica as a collective, becasue of an individial njot living iupto the scratch.'

I'm drunbk right now and wpeaking my mind but its no less true. The greatness metallica achieved in their peak is something 9999% metal bands can only dream of. Pëace out and rock everyone! im goping to off myself.
                        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

I don't think Mustaine wrote half of the material on Kill 'Em All or Ride The Lightning. He may have contributed to half of those songs, but there is no way in hell he wrote them himself.

Kirk's a good player and has played some great solos over the years. His sense of melodicism was something his peers lacked during the early years of thrash and something that, I think, helped set Metallica apart. Listen to any of Mustaines solos on "Killing Is My Business" or anything by Exodus - talk about widdly diddly crap.(I'm a huge fan of those bands, btw) Kirk learned well from studying those UFO albums. He has also earned my respect for sticking it out with Lars for so long.
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Xenophobe. I don't give a flying FUCK about your superiority complex towards the rest of this forum, which became apparent through manyof your past posts,but,..

What I was saying wasbasically 'don't write of metallica as a collective, becasue of an individial njot living iupto the scratch.'

I'm drunbk right now and wpeaking my mind but its no less true. The greatness metallica achieved in their peak is something 9999% metal bands can only dream of. Pëace out and rock everyone! im goping to off myself.
                            Quote of mine from another place...
                            You can always tell who the leader is, it's the one with
                            all the arrows in his back.
                            You're right, GoR..Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                              Quote of mine from another place...
                              You can always tell who the leader is, it's the one with
                              all the arrows in his back.
                              You're right, GoR..Peace.
                              HAH...we say shit like that at work all the time. It's so true in a car dealership, the one with the most daggers or arrows in his back is a leader. Scratch my back and I'll stab yours.

Comment

*yawn*

Reply to me when you can speak coherently.

And if you're going to get all pissy and have your e-feeelings hurt, maybe you should lay off the internet.

Comment

Working...
                                X