Hammett learning a riff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by khabibissell View Post
    Writing songs is a difficult thing, as is composing your OWN original guitar solos for those songs. Not to mention creating something milions can relate to. Hats off to the Hamster, he's okay in my book.
    I agree with that, except Kirk isn't composing anything anymore. You can tell the work ethic isn't there anymore, he's just plugging into the wah and "winging it" every time.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
      Ah right, so it's alright for YOU to say his vibrato sucks and he has no tone, but if anyone else says anything at all about him they're a "cocksmoker".

Right then.

Okay.

Aye.

Mmm.

DUDE KIRK FUCKIN ROCKS MAN!!!!!
      are you 5 years old?
      do you know the difference between the critique on someone's playing technique and personal insults? do you? you are very very, I mean very very very slow
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

No one in the market for a KH-2 then?

I love Metallica, loved them pre black album, post black album, with Cliff, with Jason, with short hair etc.

However as a guitarist I always thought that Kirks solos blended into the songs , what I mean by that is I love guitar solos that grab your attention and make a song even better (Alex Scolnicks solo in the Ballad for eg), Kirks just seem like .."solo time, you've got 1 min to fill...go.."they do their job but on the whole I find them a bit meh!

However when he tries he can hit it out of the park (Orion and to live is to die).

now back to the drinking.......

Comment

Originally posted by Gartron View Post
          No one in the market for a KH-2 then?

I love Metallica, loved them pre black album, post black album, with Cliff, with Jason, with short hair etc.

However as a guitarist I always thought that Kirks solos blended into the songs , what I mean by that is I love guitar solos that grab your attention and make a song even better (Alex Scolnicks solo in the Ballad for eg), Kirks just seem like .."solo time, you've got 1 min to fill...go.."they do their job but on the whole I find them a bit meh!

However when he tries he can hit it out of the park (Orion and to live is to die).

now back to the drinking.......
          My exact opinions, he mostly tries to fill his parts, I guess it has something to do with Hetfield's control over the band, so Kirk doesn't really care much When he tries to write a solo he can come up with great ideas. For example his solos on the Unforgiven , Whereever I may Roam & My Friend of Misery are among my fav. solos of all time Just my opinion..
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

The main reason for me never to really dig Metallica is Hammet's enervating weedly - weedly - wah - wah - slowbend - genericrun - wah - poorbend - outoftune - weedly - wee - wah - poorvibrato - end.

He can compose some cool melody lines, but he would benefit from say G Lynch's vibrato and attacking power and palm muting control.

Hammet's solos are executed much in the same way he looks - sloppy and not really in control

As for the video, I've been in that situation A LOT of times. I think it's unfair to judge him by that.
            Last edited by jackson1; 12-26-2007, 06:50 AM.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
              The main reason for me never to really dig Metallica is Hammet's enervating weedly - weedly - wah - wah - slowbend - genericrun - wah - poorbend - outoftune - weedly - wee - wah - poorvibrato - end.

Hammet's solos are executed much in the same way he looks - sloppy and not really in control

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF: And he knocks it out of the park! :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

Comment

Funny how people slam Kirk for being sloppy but give Jimmy Page a pass. Can't have it both ways people...

But wait... Jimmy was in one of the most sucessful Rock and Roll bands ever....

Nevermind...

I like Kirk. His playing has not spoken to me in a while but I dig him. He is one of the coolest, nicest guys out there. Would still give you the shirt off his back...
                I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

people DO knock Jimmy. Just check around here, there have been plenty of occasions where people have called his playing sloppy. The discussions have got pretty heated too, between those people that write him off because he's sloppy, and those who defend him as a fine composer, riff writer, and improviser. But I think one thing everyone agrees on is that he's sloppy
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    But I think one thing everyone agrees on is that he's sloppy
                    That, and he figured out how to get a shitty tone from a '59 Les Paul (ok that took some serious ingenuity) :ROTF:

EDIT: Seriously though, if Page wasn't so involved in the songwriting and just kicked back and peeled off that "Heartbreaker" solo on every song ala Hammett, he'd take a LOT more abuse.

Comment

• I thought the thread was about Hammett letting rip.

Cue festive, stuffing joke!

Fuck you people don't half take things seriously. Just look at his fucking hair, now there's comedy!
                      Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X