No announcement yet.

Early Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its true shob, actually they calculated he was probably born in june/july - most of the stuff celebrated at this time of year actually comes from a pagan festival that existed around the same time as the romans were off conquering us brits and the french (thats where the yule stuff - yule logs, the mistletoe thing etc originate from i believe but some one can correct me on that), and in fact there was a similar roman festival and belief too so the church used them and added the jesus bit to those so it gave people hope in the harsh winters essentially and worked with the whole birth / rebirth thing and a new beginning

Comment

That's correct. Many aspects of local culture were homogenized through
      the Holy Roman Empire. So The Sabbath became Sunday, instead of Saturday, Easter, Christmas, and whatnot were adapted and cross-pollinated throughout. The Romans conquered, but attempted to woo the local populations by adapting traditions.

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
        Scholarly people believe in God! Whatever next?
        All I said was they don't think Jesus was born in December

Comment

Well I don't think it matters to most people when Jesus was actually born because there are a lot of us that celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday anyway. And yet....I have no problem calling it "Christmas".

I don't understand why people get so uptight about the word Christmas now. Even the conservative schools here in the midwest are using terms like "winter break", "holiday songs", etc. I'm not religous at all, but calling it Christmas doesn't bother me a bit.

Comment

yeah its stupid political corectness gone wrong.

a couple of years ago in brum they weren't allowed to put up christmas decs in the centre coz it might offend sikhs. its our fucking country!! we didn't complain about their celebrations, but oh no we can't offend minorities in a christian majority country......christ almighty. why has noone shot the idiots that spew out these policies?? its like we're soo keen on pleasing people that we'll even bend over and fuck ourselves. bloody stupid if u ask me... i think his year they let them have them tho. at least someone as some sense

Comment

hahah wintervall wasent it...

Funny thing is the local kebab house has xmas decorations up and are mostly muslim hahahh..

And yeah know one knows the exact date so don't feel guilty about it, merry xmas y'all..

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
                hahah wintervall wasent it...

Funny thing is the local kebab house has xmas decorations up and are mostly muslim hahahh..

And yeah know one knows the exact date so don't feel guilty about it, merry xmas y'all..
                I talked to some muslim co-workers, they have Jesus on the "nice-list", he's just not the main guy.
                Last edited by 442w30; 12-24-2007, 12:50 PM.
                When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

yeah they just see him as a prophet. he still did everthing, but he just comes under prophet, so's mohammed technically, but he's THE prophet

Comment

Working...
                  X