Violin case and Info please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violin case and Info please.

Two years ago, I managed to locate my grandmother's very old violin which she supposedly bought in the 1930's. Its in good playable condition. I got the bridge reattached, the violin restrung and the bow re-tightened (for lack of a better term). I grabbed the only case that was available in the store at that time.

it turns out that the case is too big and the violin rattles inside. I measured the violin and its 22 inches long. I presume the bow is longer than the violin itself? (too lazy to measure again). Can someone recommend me a inexpensive plush case? I tried searching and they are either too expensive or come in different sizes and they dont talk about the internal dimensions.

Anyway, I peeked into the violin under sunlight and inside, there is a very old paper sticking which says the following...

Annonius Stradivarius Cremmonensis
    Facieba(?) Anno 1773
    Made in Czechoslovakia

Can anyone make any sense of it?

thanks
    Sam
    Sam

What kind of pickups are in it?

I suggest some EMGs.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post

Annonius Stradivarius Cremmonensis
      Facieba(?) Anno 1773
      Made in Czechoslovakia

Can anyone make any sense of it?

thanks
      Sam

It means that it's a replica(recreation) of a 1771 Strad,made in Czechoslovakia.
      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

ok. thanks.
        Sam

Comment

Sounds like a 3/4 model violin. They are supposed to be 22 inches, my wife has an old Hopf that is classified as a 3/4 model but it is almost 23 inches. I got her a 3/4 SKB case off of ebay for $35.00 with shipping. Nice and solid case, fits perfectly.

Edit: On the bow, you should relax the bow when it is stored and tighten it prior to applying rosin and playing.
          Last edited by DrDoug; 12-24-2007, 07:50 PM.

Comment

If it had a floyd I'd be all over it.LOL
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDoug View Post
              Sounds like a 3/4 model violin. They are supposed to be 22 inches, my wife has an old Hopf that is classified as a 3/4 model but it is almost 23 inches. I got her a 3/4 SKB case off of ebay for $35.00 with shipping. Nice and solid case, fits perfectly.

Edit: On the bow, you should relax the bow when it is stored and tighten it prior to applying rosin and playing.

Yeah,a full size violin is 56-60 cm's.

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                Yeah,a full size violin is 56-60 cm's.
                22 inches is 56cm isn't it?
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  22 inches is 56cm isn't it?
                  Yup. Full size are around 59-61 cm, 3/4 are 56-58 cm. I have also seen them measured by the body length; 4/4 is 35.5 cm (14"), 3/4 is 33 cm (13"), 1/2 is 30.5 cm (12").

Comment

so, basically, I should look out for 3/4 size violin cases. Got it! Thanks!
                    Sam

Comment

I got a violin for $5 at a toy store. Got 2 bows and some rosin as well. Beat that fett

Comment

I can't. Here's a fett tip. "Keep your eyes out for a beater violin that comes with the bow. Some of those bows are worth big bucks. See Germany. "
                        Last edited by fett; 12-25-2007, 04:31 PM.
                        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Yeah,there are some bows sold for 3 grand. And they're brand new. Not antics.And good bows DO make a difference. You need a very fine and elastic bow to use the spiccato technique effectively.

Comment

Working...
                          X