Expensive doesn't mean good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive doesn't mean good

We all know that throwing a load of money at a guitar purchase doesn't always mean you will get a nice playing guitar so what about the other end of the scale.
    What is the best cheap guitar you have ever played and what was it better than? Best can be best sounding or best set up or best playabilty.
    (no one is allowed to say the Guitar hero plastic guitar)

For me I was surprised when I played a Yamaha Pacifica, played really well for the budget price.

Boring shape though.

I also bought a Roland G707 for £200 from a shop in London many years ago.

It didn't have the floor controller, the pick ups have been swapped for something better and the entire fretboard is scallopped. Sounds great and plays well once you get used to the crinkle cut fretboard.

By far the best cheapo guitar I ever played (and I really wish I hadn't sold it) was a £99 Rockwood Les Paul. It was actually nicer to play than the Jackson Kelly proffesional that replaced it
    Last edited by Evilution; 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM.

a mexi tele - always outplayed everything else. i'd also argue my 86 model 4 which cost me 200 quid

Comment

My Charvel Model 2 for $225 was a steal. I like it far better than any Strat or Les Paul I've ever played. Mostly because of the fretboard radius and the body shape.

Comment

IS that G707 refinished? I've only seen them in Silver/black, and the only deviation I've seen besides that one is Amir Derakhs, which he had Yamaha refinish White.

Comment

You are preachin' to the Squier, boy.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
            You are preachin' to the Squier, boy.
            +1
            My Squire Strat plays great. Yeah I replaced the pickups, but the rest is bone stock.
            Very comfy neck too.

-Rick

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
              My Charvel Model 2 for $225 was a steal. I like it far better than any Strat or Les Paul I've ever played. Mostly because of the fretboard radius and the body shape.
              & the model 6's play as good as most Soloist's IMO

Comment

whats a good price for a model 6?
                -Adam

Comment

My Schecter Omen-6 I paid 75.00 for it and I was floored when I played it.
                  2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                  2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                  2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                  2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                  2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                  2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                  2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                  2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                  2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                  1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                  1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
                    My Schecter Omen-6 I paid 75.00 for it and I was floored when I played it.

Fett-price.
                    I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

I tried one on a feely basis and it felt real good. The Omen is on my list.
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

My Korean Dean Z plays as well as my Jackson Custom Shop. Great cheap guitar!

Comment

I have a Dinky Reverse I paid $200.00 for and it smokes just about everything i have. Stock Duncan Designed pups and cheesy electronics, but the thing smokes.

Comment

I've got an old, USA Peavey Predator that I got for $60. One of the best Stratocasters I've ever played, hands down.

It's actually right in the middle of a couple of modifications that should make it my number 1 jamming/gigging/teaching/beataround axe.

Comment

Charvel Model 6. Plays every bit as good as any soloist out there, for less than half the price.
                              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                              X