Arranging your rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arranging your rack

I seem to be constantly re-arranging my rack. Every rackmounted piece of equipment is different in depth. Each time I buy a new piece, its much longer or shorter than the others, prompting me to re-arrange. I'm referring to depth, not Usize.

I'm trying to take into account power leads kept away from audio leads, whilst allowing the best access possible to units so that I can patch in cables without having to take other stuff out whenever I add another piece.

Should it always be shortest at the top, longest at the bottom or the other way round?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Re-arranging your rack in public will get you arrested.

Get a patch bay.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Put the biggest heat producer up top.
      Their depth is irrelevant.

I've see guys put the deep ones on the bottom, like rack power amps, only to have them cook the unit sitting on top of them.

The main goal is to have good air flow and heat dissipation.

Power leads should always be run down the sides of the rack and audio cables wired point to point with the slack zip tied up nicely.
      -Rick

Comment

Thanks RJ. I don't have any power amps, just an FX processor which generates no heat at all, the sound module generates a fair amount. I'm soon to get a rackmountable 8-track, which will probably generate the most, and it's twice as deep as the other devices. Should this be placed above or below the PB10 power distro? The PB10 facia almost looks like its coming off the box, because I leaned on it faffing about with cables behind it. I have to use the sound module to prop it up as best I can as opposed to leaving IU space between each device. I guess you get what you pay for. Perhaps I should consider a Gator rack case instead of one of these crappy 14U Quicklok (£28 - what a rip) desktop racks (which is nothing more than two L-shaped bars joined by a single bar). The Gator's are not cheap but i imagine they'd be sturdier.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

:ROTF: So, you mean this rack hasn't even got sides? Well, there you go, so you don't have to worry about heat dissipation and airflow then.

Rjohnstone, I was once having problems with a rack of Crown/Amcrons, and it turned out that my leaving a 1u gap between them wasn't as clever as I thought it was, the heat rising from the bottom one was being drawn in through the air intakes on the one above and the one above that etc etc. So, rather than them all drawing nice cool air and expelling the heat out the back, the gaps I had created meant warm air was being drawn in the front. They were getting a bit of a pasting, I have to confess, but when I re-jigged them in the rack, no problems again, even though it looked like they were sitting there in a nice hot lump!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I like a nice rack. Then again, who doesn't!
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
              I like a nice rack. Then again, who doesn't!

Rob Halford, since he's gay.
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                W-w-w-w-h-aaaaaaat?? Since when?

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
                  And sings... he wouldn't need a rack, being a vocalist and all...

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                    W-w-w-w-h-aaaaaaat?? Since when?
                    Since he was born?
                    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Halford's British after all, so of course he's gay.
                      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        So is Wilkinsi...

I mean he is British as well
                        Last edited by thunderhead; 01-10-2008, 03:22 PM.
                        If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

Hey! Less of that! Wilkinsi isn't gay, he's experimenting with his sexuality.

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                            experimenting with his sexuality.
                            What does that mean?

Is it like a 30 day trial? If you don't like it, you get a refund
                            Last edited by thunderhead; 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM.
                            If your mum stabbed ya you wouldnt get upset... You would say ' Ohhh shit mum stabbed me! I better go to a hospital'. - Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                              So, what you say is.... Levent is half-gay?
                              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Working...
                              X