No announcement yet.

It wasn't enough to just suck at playing guitar already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and that's why you boys don't buy Playboy anymore, H. Not happy unless you're getting a view inside.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by 442w30 View Post
      It's amazing how cool you can be under circumstances where you are leaking vital fluids. It's like your body knows you need to take care of business and focus on getting help.

Shobet, do you want to take this one, or shall I?

VitG, now you know where you went wrong, you have kids and you were tidying the garden yourself. You should teach them when very young that people who help their Daddy do the garden get sweets. Mind you, then you would have been taking one to the hospital, so maybe not. Just make sure you get all the mileage you can out of sympathy-BJs and hand shandies. (Erm, from the Mrs, obviously) Also, try and test her patience by calling her to wipe your bum, tell her you daren't risk getting the wound anywhere near such an obvious infection risk. (Extra points if she doesn't immediately tell you to fuck off and even considers doing it)

I remember (vaguely) falling into a stack of pint glasses about 20 years ago, and seeing the bone in my hand (oo-er!). I thought I'd just put a plaster on it and go home. Luckily I was out with a filthy big-titted nurse who insisted I go the hospital to get stitched. This was back in the days when it was rare to find youngsters clogging up A&E whilst completely and utterly pissed, so I was a bit of a novelty, and all her friends came in to make sure I was OK and pat my head.
      Amazingly,I never shagged her, or any nurse. Strange that. May have been connected to my behaviour, but it remains a mystery.
      The scar still aches, I can't bear to put pressure on it, and months afterwards little pieces of glass worked their way to the surface and popped out of the healed skin.

Conclusion: Don't get outrageously pissed then lunge for someone's tits at closing time. You might find your aim is off and that you go crashing into 12 beer glasses. (At least I saw some gash that night).
      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
        Don't even ask why I was cutting into a tennis ball.
        Cygnus, why were you cutting into a tennis ball? Were you going to pop some van locks with it, you naughty TWOCer?
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Gary, that's not your chicken choker is it???

I certainly hope not..my playing hand out of commision is one thing. The ability to toss one off at any given moment is another!!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Damn that sucks! Don't try to rush back to playing if it bothers you or you could end up sidelined even longer (although it looks like you missed anything vital).

I ran a paring knife through the palm of my left hand back in '93 while peeling an onion...it popped out between my middle and ring fingers on the other side. I pulled the knife out instantly and blood literally squirted over 1' out of the wound. I stood there in shock as a quick thinking coworker grabbed my arm and rinsed it out, wrapped it with a towel, and drove me to the hospital. All I could think about was nerve damage and that I'd never play again as my hand was completely numb. Luckily, the knife went right between the nerves and the only real damage was severing a major blood vessel. I had a recording session in 3 weeks and actually played rather well (hadn't touched a guitar since the incident), but I re-damaged the wounded area and had to go for another month without playing.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
              Cygnus, why were you cutting into a tennis ball? Were you going to pop some van locks with it, you naughty TWOCer?
              :ROTF:

Actually , since you HAD to ask....
              It was supposed to be a practical joke on the dog.
              We regularly throw a tennis ball in the swimming pool when
              she is all worked up about playing "fetch", and no matter what,
              dopey dog HAS to get that ball, no matter how cold the water
              might get.

So, SW said, what if we sink one?

Great idea, so I took one, started cutting into it to make it sink,
              and blammo, the knife slipped right across my finger.

Lesson taught..don't mess with the dog, she always wins.

Comment

Woah... I'm glad it's getting better Gary! Reading your first post sent shivers down my spine, not in a good way, haha! I can't stand stuff like that... I'm a wuss when it comes to injuries, blood and stuff.

Here's to ya my friend
                https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

thanks, Anders. I'm not much good with knives and blades and skin being cut. Probably why I don't like slasher films. So when it happened to me, for a second there I did consider sticking a couple of bandaids over it and pretending that it never happened. But then looking at the injury I realised my folly and thought I better get thine ass to yonder hospital.

I'm sure it was no where near as scary as your injury. I don't have any international tours lined up any time soon. In fact, if I was any good, I could probably still play the cover band stuff we do one-handed.

btw, stitches came out last weekend, and while there's still some bruising and a clear "join" across my hand, things are healing pretty well. Just got to be careful not to hit the strings too hard, which should be interesting at tomorrow night's gig....
                  Last edited by VitaminG; 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Didn't George Lynch have a hand gash at one point, which led him to run a strip of suede across the Floyd saddles to help his palm muting?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Dunno' 'bout Lynch, but i hope Gary recovers super fast. That has got to hurt, dude...
                      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Working...
                      X