Traveling with a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traveling with a guitar

what is the best way to do this? I travel a lot and would like to travel with a Squire Bullet. Is it best to carry it on the aircraft? Get a case and check it in? Just looking for the best way to practice on the road. Sometimes I'm gone 3 days and sometimes I'm gone 10 days or more.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Take the neck off and put it in your luggage or carry on bag. That's how I'd do it...
    I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I just take mine in a good gig bag and put it in the overhead compartment. Make sure you are one of the first people on the plane so there is room for you to put the guitar up there.

Comment

Anvil flight case if I have to take a good one and an SKB case if I'm taking a "player".
        I always check 'em.
        -Rick

Comment

I'm with Bengal. Take a bolt on and remove the neck. Re-assemble at destination and repeat. All it costs is a set of strings unless you just fold 'em over and stick some laundry in between.... That's how I do it anymore. That and a POD gets me over ;-)

Comment

I travel all the time with a mod 6 or mod 4. I got a padded gig bag from MF and store it right in the overhead on a plane. No mess. Easy store and they fit nice up there...............
            Occupation: Department Director for the Department of Redundancy Department

Comment

Depending on what you want the guitar for, maybe something like a Traveler Speedster would work for you. I travel a ton with my current job and the Speedster has been great for when I can't avoid the airlines. It fits either in an overhead bin and sometimes can even be stowed under a seat.

I used to fly around with a Squier Strat but for me, a full-size guitar is more of a headache. Plus, the Speedster has a full-scale neck (24.75") so the string tension feels normal which makes it a good practice tool. I wouldn't use it for its tone or in a regular band situation but for travel, it's a great little guitar.
              Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I would get a headless guitar, something like the Hohners.
                I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                  I just take mine in a good gig bag and put it in the overhead compartment. Make sure you are one of the first people on the plane so there is room for you to put the guitar up there.
                  This is what I do. I have a Stratocaster Junior I travel with. If using a gig bag in the overhead compartment with an expensive Jazz Guitar was good enough for Joe Pass, it's good enough for my cheapo Strat
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

It's pretty difficult to get on board first.. at this point.. Give me about a year I should have enough points The Speedster is close to 400 dollars and wouldn't want to chance screwing it up while traveling. I also have a cheap strat guitar that I was thinking about just cutting kind of like a hohner.
                    Last edited by JetFixxxer; 01-10-2008, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
                      It's pretty difficult to get on board first.. at this point.. Give me about a year I should have enough points The Speedster is close to 400 dollars and wouldn't want to chance screwing it up while traveling.
                      Look around and you can probably score a Speedster for less than $400. I didn't pay that much for mine.

As for it getting screwed up, I've been flying around with mine for over 3 years and the worst thing that I've managed to do to it is slightly mar the finish on the bottom edge. Don't worry about screwing it up while traveling - it was designed to be used for exactly that purpose.

By the way, there is now a 1-HB model available with a Les Paul-shaped body called the Escape EG-1.
                      Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

The traveller guitars are great with light gauge strings. I found that if I put heavier strings on, it didn't hold tune very well.

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
                          It's pretty difficult to get on board first.. at this point.. Give me about a year I should have enough points
                          I didn't mean literally first, just toward the front of the line of normal coach passengers. I also usually pick a seat toward the back of the plane since sometimes they are logical and have people sitting in the back get on first.

Comment

i know guys that have bought a seat for their guitar to go with them given the luggage restrictions in th UK

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post

By the way, there is now a 1-HB model available with a Les Paul-shaped body called the Escape EG-1.
                              Thats the one I thought you were originally talking about.

Comment

Working...
                              X