Neck Pickup Paranoia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Pickup Paranoia?

Alright, I'm not too sure if this is the right forum to be posting this in, but I'll give it a shot.

I guess I'll start this out as a question. Is anyone else bothered by sloppy players that cover up their sloppiness with the neck pick up? I notice this happens to be the case a ton of times when kids from all over try to play something way too fast, something way too difficult for them, or something that's just straight up obnoxious. A lot of my friends know me to be a firm believer in the bridge pick up when playing Arpeggios, Speed Runs, weird picking patterns, etc.. I view the bridge pick up as displaying exactly what you're playing, and (in most cases) it doesn't cover up your mistakes. I'm not saying that the neck pick up is always a cover up for sloppiness, because a lot of great clean tones and nice clean melodies should be played really smooth, via Neck pick up. But I for one cannot stand the neck pick up while playing on distortion, to me, it's just a cover up (in a lot of cases), and it's just a pet peeve of mine whenever I hear anyone trying to play some song that heavily relies on sweeping, and you just hear the toggle switch flip up, and the rest is just string noise. But hell, it's smooth string noise. I don't know if it's me being paranoid, or some players just not giving a shit how sloppy they are.

My rant has many counter-points, because there are a lot of amazing players that rape the neck pick up, example : Yngwie Malmsteen or George Bellas. Great players, and they prefer the neck pick up. Those guys are also great players though, they use the neck pick up for a different sound, not to cover up their sloppiness.

My personal view is that if you can master something on the hardest of difficulties, the most unforgiving settings, you can really make shit scream with easier scenarios. If you can make something sound great with a terrible guitar, the bridge pick up, and a terrible amp , imagine what you could do with an amazing guitar, the neck pick up, and an amazing amp.

I guess everyone has different ways of viewing the case, and maybe some other players really don't give a fuck if they're sloppy or not..But hell... When people try to cover up their sloppiness with the neck pickup... It makes my piss boil.

Anyone else agree?

Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

I for one don't give a shit about someone's areggios, george bellas, sloppy or non-sloppy playing, all the mindless fretboard karate etc.

What I do care is that some of the best lead sounds ever are recorded with the neck pickup
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
      I for one don't give a shit about someone's areggios, george bellas, sloppy or non-sloppy playing, all the mindless fretboard karate etc.

What I do care is that some of the best lead sounds ever are recorded with the neck pickup

I'm not specifically talking arpeggios, it just happens to be big factor.

Some of the best lead sounds are also recorded with the bridge pick up.
      The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

My neck pickup is trying to kill me.

I swear the bastard is creeping out of the guitar at night, sneaking up on me in bed, trying to strangle me with the wires...

...eh what? Not that kind of neck pickup paranoia?

Never mind then.

I don't listen to enough kiddos playing the guitar I guess, because I don't really recognize the phenomenon. Then again, I hardly visit any physical music stores either.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
          My neck pickup is trying to kill me.

I swear the bastard is creeping out of the guitar at night, sneaking up on me in bed, trying to strangle me with the wires...

...eh what? Not that kind of neck pickup paranoia?

Never mind then.

I didn't want to mention that... My neck pick up was over my shoulder watching me type... Damn bastard keeps trying to opt me out.

Comment

my fav. lead tone is with neck pickup and tone controll turned to about 5 (sometimes 3 or 2 depends of the guitar and amp) or all the way down
            some of my. fav tones are recorded that way (guys like Peter Green, David Gilmour, Gary Moore, John Sykes etc.)

and with my amp (Mesa Boogie Mark III Coliseum 300 Blue Stripe) it's the most unforgiving combination, I'd like to see anyone trying to hide their flavs.
            There's so much mids (specially when you turn the tone knob down) that you can hear even the slightest movement
            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Yep..whatever makes you play and sound your best. I don't care if you play with your pud..just sound good doing it..and I'm happy!

I use the neck pickup about 10-20% of the time..and it IS to make me player "cleaner" at times..YEP, guilty as charged!!!

But I can write a pretty decent metal tune..that's all I give a fuck about. Solos are just icing on a cake. Grooves, melodies and hooks man..that's what matters. That's most important IMO..then enhance that with fills and leads that FIT the arrangement...be it neck or bridge pup..whatever fits best!

My pet peeve seems to be the opposite of your peeve. I can't stand when awesome players can't write a song to save their fuggin' life. I hear it constantly!!!! Awesome solos in horrible songs = Dogshit!!!

But hey, everyone has their own agenda..ya know..FUGGUMS!!!!!

Bill Z Bub
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                My pet peeve seems to be the opposite of your peeve. I can't stand when awesome players can't write a song to save their fuggin' life. I hear it constantly!!!! Awesome solos in horrible songs = Dogshit!!!
                ya talkin to me buddy?

Comment

ya talkin to me buddy?
                  Yeah right!!!!..

You KNOW..you and I are on the same page !!!

That shit is Gospel..and we speaks it likes we knows it!!!

It's True..Awesome Solos In Terrible Songs = Dick!!!

BTW..If I wanted to sweep..I'd buy a broom...I play the fuggin' guitar man!!!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I'd rather have this in my head than hear a shitty song

Comment

E..I'm introducing myself to our new member..wait let me see what his name is..hold on..I gotta scroll to get it...oh.. Jacksons Shred.

Welcome Jacksons Shred

I'm Bill Z Bub..I'm an asshole..but you'll love me..or not!

Comment

I'd rather have this in my head than hear a shitty song

...oh fuck..I love that shit!!!:ROTF:

Comment

Using the neck pickup for solos is just apart of your individual style. Lots of distortion covers up shitty playing.

Comment

Your not alone Jackson shred

I used to be in a band with a guy that thought he was the shit, every solo the same thing happened:

flip to neck pick up, tremelo pick and flap the fingers over all the strings between the 12th and 15th fret, end with a couple of out of tune bends and perhaps a whammy shake/dive.

playing with him has given me a phobia about the neck pick up ever since!

Comment

I've always found the best way to cover up shitty playing is with a bit of delay. Covers it nicely...

I don't listen closely enough nor do I really care what pickup you use. If you suck, you suck...
                              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

Working...
                              X