HELP: MS Access 2007 - guitar mag catalog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: MS Access 2007 - guitar mag catalog

Does anyone here know much about working with Access 2007?

I want to create a searchable database for all my guitar magazines. Something that I can add to by typing into an forms-type interface that will add a line to the document with the newly input data. Something that can quickly provide me with a list of issues that contain Paul Gilbert columns. Or tabs of Iron Maiden songs. Or legato workshops. Stuff like that.

I use Access databases at work, so there's a level of familiarity, but I've never had to create one with this sort of functionality before. None of the templates I've found at MS have been much help either.

Any experts here that can lend a helping hand? I figure if I can create such a document, it could be shared amongst the JCFers, since I'm sure a lot of you have tragically unmanageable magazine collections too.

The same kind of database might be good for cataloguing CD collections too.
    Hail yesterday

I created one a few years ago to do just that. I'll see if I can't find a copy.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

check on the MSDN web site. SOmetime you can find good examples and even find what you want already done.

Comment

If you post specific questions I can try to answer them.

Comment

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...426161033.aspx you can search here from some

Comment

I found my database but I don't have access installed at home. I'll take it into work tomorrow and give it the once over and delete my old content. Shoot me a PM with your address and I will give you a link to download it.
            http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              If you post specific questions I can try to answer them.
              thanks man. I'm at work now, but I'll have a mess around when I get home & let you know
              Originally posted by z1n View Post
              checked 'em out already. Nothing that really suited my purposes. Thanks for the suggestion though
              Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
              I found my database but I don't have access installed at home. I'll take it into work tomorrow and give it the once over and delete my old content. Shoot me a PM with your address and I will give you a link to download it.
              thanks Jack. pm sent
              Hail yesterday

Comment

If you don't have office, you can try using OpenOffice. It's a Sun copy of MS Office and from what I've used of it, works just as well (if not better than) MS office.

http://www.openoffice.org

Comment

I use Access at work and I have created a similar database, but my advice would be just use excell or some other spreadsheet. As far as I understand you just need to be able to search according to definable criteria, it's not like you have several different fields of data which you need to combine in a single search result, which is where access's strength is. I'd go for simplicity over anything else, it's one of murphy's laws
                  I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

If you're handy with code, give Visual Basic/C# Express 2008 a try. It comes with SQL Server Express.

But I agree with levantin. What it sounds like you want is just a table of page contents. A spreadsheet is fine for that, and Excel already has search capabilities.
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X